Checkpoint Systems

George Babich, Jr.

Good Company to work for, Not great

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Checkpoint Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

401K, Insurance, etc. Great package.

Cons

They cut the aforementioned package and downsized.

Leadership starts at the top

Not a good option

I worked at Checkpoint Systems as a contractor

Pros

The people seem nice. Broad exposure to the different types of electronic article surveillance.

Cons

Pay is never on time, with no real idea of when invoices are going to be paid.. Even 45-day net checks would routinely break 60 days. At this point, everything is over 90 days. The schedulers do not have a firm handle on when equipment is arriving, so time is wasted waiting for installs. This is how a full weeks' work ends up becoming 1 days' work. As a contractor, you can't make ends meet like that, especially if you don't know if you're going to be paid.

Fix the pay issues. Hire competent schedulers who can manage the issues and not waste time.

old company got lost

I worked at Checkpoint Systems as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

good people work there for long time

Cons

bad leadership
    no vision
    poor management especially in new business

sold the company when you can

CEO and Presidents mostly in it for personal enrichment.

I worked at Checkpoint Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Security products for retail brick and mortar is an industry where there are very few good competitors. This should theoretically create opportunities for Checkpoint to create great solutions (but they won't)

Still a few good, sharp people left at corporate and some former acquisitions.

Cons

Leadership is uninspiring and product management is too incompetent to recognize early opportunities.

Acquisitions are poorly integrated. Acquisitions not well thought through and weak upper management cannot avoid meddling and breaking what was acquired. I feel badly for the employees of most of the companies Checkpoint acquired.

The good, sharp people still left are not in management leadership positions. Most keep their heads down, mouths shut, and try to not get fired. This makes for a futile and unrewarding work experience.

C suite management relies heavily on leaders promoted to high levels from one of the unprofitable acquisitions. If they were such fantastic leaders with the ability to deliver results, why was their business failing when they were acquired?

Upper management not willing to take risk on new ideas until a competitor does it first. Then it is brilliant. More time spent beating down good ideas than encouraging them or imagining how to leverage them. Creates a culture where ideas are punished. Business cases are beat into the ground repeatedly until the champion simply gives up.

Sr Management finds inventive ways to financially bonus themselves at the expense of their employees.

Large bureaucracy suitable for very large corporation built by prior CEO, yet remains a sub-billion dollar mid size firm years later.

The management team cannot be trusted to act upon sound advice. Advice to shareholders is to not be one.

Long term vision is average or below average. Compensation is average. Benefits are average to slightly above. Morale is poor but management thinks that sharing employee surveys is the answer. Why not try to become well above average and promote/support/fund good ideas?

Many Hats

Former Employee - Project Manager in Thorofare, NJ

I worked at Checkpoint Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to learn foreign languages.
    Learn other jobs when wearing many hats

Cons

Bonus program is a joke. Some people were tricked into working long hours to earn a non-existent bonus.

Just sell the company

VP

I have been working at Checkpoint Systems

Pros

dynamic, flexible, process oriented, accountability

Cons

retail market sector is difficult business

diversify business

Dedicated

Current Employee - Customer Service in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Checkpoint Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The commute to the office is short, there is flexibility in schedules and the benefits are decent.

Cons

Recent cut backs have impacted every entity negativley and the work load is nearly impossible to manage.

Treading water, waiting to be sold or bought

Former Employee - Project Manager in Thorofare, NJ

I worked at Checkpoint Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Self-directed environment
    not much else

Cons

No communication of direction
    Lack of resources to complete the job
    Reduction of resources leads to increase of work for the rest
    Morale is at rock bottom

Share org charts
    Provide details about company direction creating accountability
    MBO (bonus) program is a disincentive program

Same old same

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Checkpoint Systems

Pros

My management team was very good at distributing information, getting us time off when needed, they stayed out of your business as long as you were meeting deadlines and being productive. Benefit package was pretty good, but my experience is in company's with less than 50 people.

Cons

Same old work day after day, nothing really new and exciting. It is a grind, the company is always talking about how poorly we were doing in the market and makes you worry about if you are going to have your job. My management reassured our department was safe, but still makes you worry.

A more social environment would be pleasant. 6'-0" cube walls prevent any social interaction and make the days go on forever, I can go a entire day without talking to a single person face to face. More of a team concept would be nice as well.

Things need to change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thorofare, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thorofare, NJ

I have been working at Checkpoint Systems

Pros

Great product to stand behind and very interesting industry

Cons

MBO bonus structure is ridiculous. You are given additional job responsibilities (that are not even manageable) disguised as MBO's in which the payout is based on company performance that is not meet. Comparing work load to salary is not measurable. Ever since the PC conversion people are working under extreme pressure everyday just to get the bare minimum completed. Couple this with reducing the work force by 20% and the end result is very unfavorable for the organization. Employee morale is extremely low and to working harder simply just means you are given more work. Very discouraging!

Re-evaluate the position that is currently taken. We reduced the work force by 20%, spent enormous dollars on a system that was not set up correctly and the expectations are at an all time high for reporting. Multiple jobs for each person is causing an extreme lack in focus and it will only cause the results to continue to dive. I feel people are just waiting for the market to pick up and when it does the situation is only going to worsen as we do not backfill important roles. We need to be more proactive!