Cheesecake Factory Reviews

569 reviews filtered by
3.8
Cheesecake Factory Chairman and CEO David Overton
David Overton

Pros
  • Extremely flexible schedule (Valuable for a college student like myself) (in 42 reviews)

• Servers make good money because people usually buy dessert (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (10 - 15 hours, my coworker almost did a twenty hour shift once) with no breaks (in 34 reviews)

• There is also little to NO employee appreciation with the exception of a holiday cheesecake (in 5 reviews)

1. Senior Kitchen Manager

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory

Pros

Fast Paced and fun environment

Cons

Compensation is not as good as it once was.

server

Current Employee - Server in Canoga Park, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Canoga Park, CA

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory (More than a year)

Pros

great money and schedule because you can use hot schedules to swap and release shifts.

Cons

needing a manager to do a lot of things on our computer system get annoying when you're super busy

Advice to Management

great work!

3. busy restaurant

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory full-time

Pros

free meals, benefits for hourly employees

Cons

high stress and high expectations

5. Server , Host

I worked at Cheesecake Factory full-time

Pros

The culture of the company was the best. The colleagues that you work with are very nice and outgoing people.

Cons

Management doesn't always listen to what their employees have to say. They assert the ideas that they are better than you, often.

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice of your employees

Server

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory full-time

Pros

My co-workers were awesome! Made a lot of lifetime friends. The food was awesome also. We got to taste new dishes as they came out every 6 months. (Used to) get employee meals for checking out someone's side work. The managers were very understanding on life issues that came up. Like any waitress job, the public can be hard to deal with sometimes and tips weren't always where you wanted them.

Cons

When I worked there, they had secret shoppers. To had to say everything the company wanted you to say. If a secret shopper came through, you got marked down on your score if you missed something the company wanted you to suggestive sell. Saw co-workers let go because they weren't adhering to the cope rules. I understand they don't do this anymore which is great!

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fair with no favorites.

7. Great way to make money in a fast paced environment.

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory full-time

Pros

Fast-paced, you can make a lot of money giving great service.

Cons

You're on your feet for a period of hours.

8. Decent money, but get used to holidays and feeling like you don't matter at all.

Current Employee - Bartender/Server in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Bartender/Server in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-decent money
    -opportunities to move up/ promotions
    -staff discount
    -free meals for double shifts
    -they attempt to train everyone well and give everyone appropriate knowledge to succeed
    -food is good, easy to sell
    -overall staff is welcoming and helpful
    -suggested gratuity is printed on the bottom of every check and credit card receipt
    -ability to get shifts covered/ flexible schedule (use of hotschedules)
    -at my location you can get your shifts covered instead of calling out by offering monetary insentives for others to pick up your shifts
    -aside from holidays, it is almost always quite busy especially compared to other restaurants
    -health benefits available: you have to pay for them and you are required to work a certain # of hours each week to keep them

Cons

-guests expect everything for free and many are rude and insulting to staff
    -there are no automatic gratuities any longer
    -plan on working every holiday for your entire employment w/ this company
    -vacation time accrues, but who cares because it is only minimum wage, which when taken is completely eaten by taxes.
    -1) competent kitchen, 2) competent food runners, 3) competent management, 4) busy enough to make money: pick two.
    -management is mostly extremely poor
    -knowledge expected by the company is honestly a quite ridiculous amount, even though the training is somewhat thorough, the extensive knowledge required, is for the large part, unattainable
    -veteran staff are overworked and relied upon with no gratitude shown
    -management plays favorites often: certain rules only apply to certain people, if you aren't liked you will be fired one way or another, and only certain staff's guest surveys are posted for everyone to read.
    -Sundays are required because all of the guests on Sundays are difficult to please and a large majority of them don't tip.
    -if you have a guest walk-out, you are blamed as inattentive server and forced to pay for their meal or be documented
    -high turn-around
    -high suggested tip out amounts
    -if you do not document your cash and credit tips (separately) and tip out amounts each night for your personal records, you are sometimes required to claim more than you make if you fall short of what you "should be making" according to your sales

Advice to Management

-stop making our job more difficult than it is
    -guests do not listen to a single word we say, please print everything you'd like them to know in the menu
    -show more appreciatation for staff (especially veterans)
    -close slower locations during holidays where tipped staff make little to almost nothing for working those holidays
    - fix broken machines/faucets/coolers etc.
    -find a better way to train managers and keep them accountable. They are often truly incompetent, and most of them have no idea how to approach staff or guests. They can be insensitive, and not very understanding.
    -find a better way to make sure your staff is tipped appropriately, either by increasing salaries to regular minimum wage in every restaurant or by including gratuities on all checks automatically, etc
    -Stop hiring people based on looks and instead hire more competent staff who won't quit or be fired within months
    -offer free health benefits to all staff, erase the paid vacation which we can't get off for anyway
    -stop punishing staff for eating their employee meals on the wrong day, a free meal for a job well-done or a double-shift should be good any day.

Server/ Food Runner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cheesecake Factory full-time

Pros

They are dedicated to training you and how you should respond to guests. They use Hot Schedule to make it convenient for workers to swap shifts.

Cons

Too much to remember for over 200 menu items, wearing all white stains easily, and you have to cater to almost every single need the guests wants. You can barely say no to them at all

10. I didn't make as much as I expected to. The job wasn't bad though, but there was A LOT to learn.

Former Employee - Server/Waiter
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter

I worked at Cheesecake Factory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were nice. During training we got to eat together and sample all of the food. That part was really fun. There was a discount for employee meals, so that's always good.

It's a nice, clean environment.

Cons

SO MUCH information. Before you could start serving, you had to take multiple tests, like what ingredients are in foods. Also, at every table you had to memorize a long spiel of specials and soups, and introduce yourself a certain way, etc. It was a lot. I could always tell that the customers wanted me to stop talking or were bored. But I still said it all anyway.

I didn't make as much money as I thought I would. You really have to do lunch and dinner shifts (like both in 1 day) to make a decent amount. At least at my location. You have to tip out the bartender and the food runner, which cut into your tips.

Advice to Management

My managers were really cool. I can't think of any advice for them. They were really professional and were there if I needed them for anything.

11. Fast paced environment where you will either fall behind or push yourself for those $$$.

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory

Pros

Lots of tips for serving . Busy consistently .

Cons

Stressful environment. Compensation isn't as good as you'd want it to be.

Cheesecake Factory Photos