Cheesecake Factory Reviews

Reset
3.8
Cheesecake Factory Chairman and CEO David Overton
David Overton

Pros
  • Extremely flexible schedule (Valuable for a college student like myself) (in 42 reviews)

• Servers make good money because people usually buy dessert (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, management could be difficult (in 34 reviews)

• There is also little to NO employee appreciation with the exception of a holiday cheesecake (in 5 reviews)

1. dishwasher

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Garden City, NY

I worked at Cheesecake Factory

Pros

Free lunch that's all that kept me there for a month

Cons

Bad hours very very hard work , prepare yourself for burned fingers and soaked cloths every day.

Advice to Management

Hire more people

2. Horrible...just...horrible

Former Employee - Busser in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Busser in Westlake, OH

I worked at Cheesecake Factory part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can make a decent amount of money during the summer and on weekends but that's it.

Cons

Poor management, No breaks, Policies that make zero sense and waste time, Working like pigs and dealing with large obnoxious crowds.

Advice to Management

Invest some time and thought into your policies before making them and treat the people working for you like people, not cattle. Stop making up new rules that make no sense and stop stuffing your faces all day. Seriously, quit eating and work like the rest of us.

3. Natick was awful

Former Employee - Server in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Natick, MA

I worked at Cheesecake Factory

Pros

Not many, you can make money, if you are one of the manager's favorites and if the front desk is getting tipped.

Cons

The restaurant business can attract some of the lowest forms of life. This is one of those places. Natick had the worst, immoral, unscrupulous managers/predators.

Advice to Management

Fire all of them.

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Prep Cook
    Former Employee - Prep Cook

I worked at Cheesecake Factory

Pros

Free food turning orientation. Starting pay wasn't too bad.

Cons

Management treats you like your a third-class citizen. They hired me full-time, less than 6 months later I was part-time, working 1-2 days a week. They don't train you. They say the have a good training system, they don't. It sucks. Managers will get you for even the smallest mistakes. Food tastes like crap. Portions are way too big. People who go there are idiots.

Advice to Management

Your company sucks. I'm so glad I don't work for you anymore. And no, I'll never eat there.

6. Egos on parade

Former Employee - Senior Manager North Carolina
    Former Employee - Senior Manager North Carolina

I worked at Cheesecake Factory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, wonderful food, 90% of staff are outstanding especially in the kitchen, pride in knowing you work for the most popular company in the business.

Cons

way too many egos, abundance of office politics, audio and video not matching(saying one thing doing another), integrity issues, lots of passing the buck from those who are accountable, most superiors do not truly care, growth does exist but you will need to "practically" beg for it, management pay is 10-20% below what it should be, and again, you will need to beg for any increase because they do not really want to give it to you, your ideas are useless because they already know it all, far too many extra meetings, employee events, etc, extreme hours, lots of working from home, overly structured, too many hoops, takes an act of congress to get things done, operating systems in place are overwhelming and much too complex for a restaurant, need to scale down and simplify, sanitation & operational failures are a daily battle, huge disconnect between corporate and operations, ivory tower syndrome, pressure is extreme at times feeling of life & death instead of food & people business, too much change to manage, unethical terminations

Advice to Management

see above comments

No Growth, Breaks & Bad Management

Former Employee - Dessert Finisher/Barista in Buckhead, GA
    Former Employee - Dessert Finisher/Barista in Buckhead, GA

I worked at Cheesecake Factory

Pros

The pay was decent & good coworkers. Company is always busy.

Cons

Working over 10 hours on your feet with NO given break was unfair & illogical. The managers don't know what they're doing & would constantly over work you without appreciation & would only have 1 employee do everything especially if you're the only staff in that department for the day. If you have any fractures, I advise you not to work here if you break something you'll receive no workers comp & will fight against you for unemployment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop cheating people working hours & manage better.

The Cheesecake Factory could care less about their employees.

Current Employee - Hostess in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Hostess in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the location (downtown Denver), there's always a lot happening and it never gets boring, some of the staff are awesome. They're willing to work with your school schedule.

Cons

I've been working at the Cheesecake Factory Denver for almost 7 months now and there's just been problems the entire time. After being told I was being cross trained in other areas of the restaurant, it has yet to happen. Most of the managers are awful to work with, and the one you need is never there. Also, they change every month. The company keeps screwing up my paycheck and there's only one manager that can fix it (and they're never there). They've also hired so many people that hours are hard to come by and they have a lot of trouble dispersing them.

9. Sexual harassment. Complete disrespect.

Former Employee - Server in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Server in Denver, CO

I worked at Cheesecake Factory

Pros

Some of my coworkers were the most care free, fun, helpful people. They made you excited to come to work.

Cons

I had been told the clientele had gone downhill. The most you can look forward to ever making is on New Years Eve, in which 400-600 (VERY RARE, ONE TIME OCCURRENCE I WAS TOLD) can happen. HA! No way! I'm sorry, making on average 100-200 dollars a night or more commonly on a double, being the most you make? NO ONE can live off that. I know tipping is not up to the company, but if the workers are being treated so poorly, do something.

Just because a server has been there for however many years, does NOT give you the right to micro manage, or butt into a conversation or problem that does not concern you. (I had been dealing with hard financial problems, and this server had the audacity to step in my way and disrespect me horribly, telling me how to give out more money to my coworkers, (on the night I nearly did everything on my own, all while I was fighting from becoming homeless, which I in turn did.) You are NOT a manager. So dont act like you are. Managers need to discipline or call out workers who try to talk down to others or act like they have authority over them.

Tipshare is RIDICULOUS! I at times would have to tip out a total of 40-60 dollars, making me walk with 30-50.... even on doubles because of how cheap, disrespectful and selfish this location has become! I'm sorry but if you are relying on tips, become a server. It is NOT our responsibility to make sure we give you a certain percentage a night, especially when at times we are the ones still bussing our tables (Happens so much) , run all our food (very rare) or waiting on drinks while you flirt or do whatever with guests (rare but does happen) To demand I give MORE of MY guests tipped money because you chose a less common tipped position, is NOT the servers responsibility. Instead the company should simply pay the buses and bartenders and food runners more.

On the topic of sexual harassment. I got pretty much attacked in the store, and management, pretty much refused to take action. I then noticed how the attitude shifted against me, treating me terribly and docking my hours. (Honestly dont know why I didn't go to court at this time.) Then it happened AGAIN, this time by a MANAGER! At that point I was fed up. If I had complained again, how much worse would they have treated me? This place is a nightmare, and a disrespectful joke.

Advice to Management

(To corporate) Fire everyone and start new management. I'm sorry but all management is either sexually harassing others or simply disrespect, and treat them like dirt, while playing favorites with those who have been there for years yet do the bare minimum. I have never seen such horrendous, horrible disrespect in management. Learn how to pay and treat your employees with respect.

Overworked, stiffed, and never given a break

Former Employee - Server/Designated Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Server/Designated Trainer in Boston, MA

I worked at Cheesecake Factory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers (other servers, foodrunners, and bussers) are very nice and helpful.

Cons

Horrible clientele, bad tips, terrible management, scheduling problems, high turnover, no breaks, forced doubles, weird staff food policy.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your staff more than your guests. Then maybe they'd stick around for longer than a few months.

Cheesecake Factory Corporate is extremely dysfunctional. The executive staff in FN/HR/IT are immature and unqualified.

Current Employee - Staff Member in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Member in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Cheesecake Factory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Restaurant Operations Rocks! They are professional, mature and do excellent work. They appreciate their workers and take pride in what they do.

Cons

Human Resources, Finance and IT need HELP! Basically unqualified and immature staff running a company this large? David Overton should rethink his executive staff and their direct reports. It's really sad when the staff is smarter than the executives.

Advice to Management

No work life balance
    Not a great place to work - forced to fill out the surveys with positive scores not true scores so that the 100 Best Places Can be Awarded
    Not a team environment - watch your back
    No recognition for work