Chegg

Updated December 22, 2014
4.1

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career (in 15 reviews)

• work environment is fairly flexible - flexible hours, wfh (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great internship program
    Opportunity to learn how to sell
    The skills you learn in training are transferable to any career

Cons

Long days but worth the time

Keep doing what you are doing!

Software Engineering Internship at Chegg

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Chegg is definitely one of the best companies to work at. The company culture is great! Everyone is friendly there. It's the perfect size. It's large enough that you can constantly meet new people, but small enough that you recognize a lot of people at the office. Dan the CEO is great and laid back. He was there watching the World Cup with us. We have CheggChats every now and then. Chegg invites people like MC Hammer, Meg Whitman, and Jess Weiner to the company. We use EAT Club as the catering service. It's pretty decent.

Cons

As an intern, the team I was working in was pretty busy. It would be great if I could interact better with the team. But it all depends on the team you're in. Some interns don't have the same experience as I did.

Summer I'll Never Forget!

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was referred by a family member to intern there. The work environment is fun with lots of office games (ping pong, pool, etc.), parties and free lunch everyday! They had an amazing intern program for all of us. The intern program manager was so sweet. She listened to me, spent time helping write professional goals and organized a fun program with events in the city. My manager was the best. She mentored me in my work and on career goals. I felt like I was taken seriously on my team. During team meetings I knew I was a valued member and my opinions were taken seriously. Overall, this past summer made me feel like I made a difference. I would return in a heartbeat!

Cons

From an intern perspective, none that I could think of. I'll come back and post as an employee one day--hopefully!

Keep doing what you're doing.

A Company That Does Right By Others

Current Employee - Director of Strategic Partnerships in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Strategic Partnerships in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Chegg is an altruistic company, our core mission is to help students make one of the most important decisions they will make and to assist them on their path to have the most rewarding & productive college education experience possible.

We are empowered to do the right thing by our partner schools as well. I love that we are able to offer new and important tools that help colleges connect with right fit students in a smarter, more efficient way.

The company values its employees. They keep their promises. They work very hard to give us the tools we need to feel successful and appreciated.

Cons

We are a very fluid company. Change is the norm. I thrive in this environment but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Keep up the great work. Keep inspiring us and leading us to challenge the old way of thinking!

Collaborative, positive, energetic

Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company aims to do real good, helping students get through college and into good careers.
    It's a very positive culture - people are friendly, collaborative, respectful. (I've worked for companies that are cut-throat, territorial, political - Chegg is none of those.)
    The workplace is beautiful, bright and airy; the HR team takes care of the team with benefits from top notch health plans to free lunch to car washes to Halloween parties.
    Compensation is VERY competitive with the valley.

Cons

Chegg stock has been languishing all year. The company needs to get that up in order to retain and attract top talent.

Great Team, Lots of work

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are great opportunities within Chegg to grow professionally and to see the impact you are making. Above and beyond anything else though, there are great people who work here. There is no back biting or people jostling for position. Everyone just rolls up their sleeves and gets stuff done.

Cons

There is a ton of pressure to hit (sometimes ridiculously high) goals.

Chegg Response

Dec 10, 2014Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for great candid review!

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, free lunch, snacks, gym etc. Internship program was very well organized: speaker series given by company leaders, outdoor activities (SF city tour, Giants game, etc), internship showcase, etc. Employees here are very talented and supportive.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons for the internship.

Chegg Response

Dec 10, 2014Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for leaving great review! Top Notch Internship experience is so important to us.

Awesome culture!

Former Employee - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Trendy office. Smart people(Nice people). Very cool perks even for a temp worker. Smart tools. Well managed teams. Transparency. They try to stay and use cutting edge tools for software development. CEO is a very cool person. I feel motivated coming to the office everyday. A truly good place to work when you are given very good perks and of course, talented colleagues(Free food. Gym. Hackathon. Monthly guest speakers).

Cons

Hmm.. Career growth? I am not sure. I am temp worker.

Keep up the good work! I want this company to succeed and go beyond. Staying in the education industry is good enough service.

A nice place to stay

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice knowing that the company is trying to help others.
    Depending on managers you can usually get a lot of free time to play games in the office, working out at the gym, or go for short walks to help clear your mind.
    Choice of lunch every day + snacks

Cons

Moving away from old systems is slow.

More transparency and less surprises is always nice.

Good company with friendly people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are friendly, compensation is good, free lunches and it is possible to take long vacations. The office contains a pool table and a gym.

Cons

Being typecast in a role is quite common (and a lot of employees there know it), so it is difficult to expand career wise.