Chegg

Chegg Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig

Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • You get a somewhat decent free lunch(in 11 reviews)

• great cause, great work environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains(in 4 reviews)

• People just disappear with no word on why they were let go(in 3 reviews)

Great company and mission

Marketing (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe company mission and vision is loud and clear at Chegg. The company culture is amazing with guest speakers, team building events and awesome perks. For a company of Chegg's size, I'm amazed by the management's transparency.

ConsI honestly don't have any right now.

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfantastic people, great work-life balance, intellectually stimulating

Consstock not doing as well as hoped

2 years and loving my time at Chegg

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsHaving worked at a number of start-ups I have to say my time at Chegg has been fulfilling, exciting, and enjoyable. I look forward to every next day, to working with my team, and most importantly our mission. We are making a true difference for students and families.

Constypical start-up stuff...always things to get done, always can be doing more, what you did yesterday was then - now time to do even better today and into tomorrow, even though the vacation policy is great - tough to take time off without feeling stressed about things not getting done.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have to say Mgmnt has been nimble and fluid and for my role has given us the tools to be successful and always willing to listen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company with a mission!

Engineering (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsIts not easy for anyone to survive in a company that is competitive and is out to solve a hard problem. I wont talk about all the perks since every company in the valley is expected to offer those benefits. I want to talk about what defines Chegg and its engineering culture:
    - I love that in-spite of all the uncertainties around ed-tech industry, engineers who believe in our mission have stuck around and made it their personal mission to serve the student
    - Leadership team believes in the engineering team and has put full trust in engineering leadership to do what is right for the students and the share holders
    - We have had few bumps during our growth but we have learned and rectified them quickly and executive team have always supported us. We believe in life long learning and failures are a part of every success story
    - Chegg believes in rewarding the brightest and the smartest. It rewards individuals who put oxygen in the room than individuals who are toxic and suck it out of the room.
    - It does not matter whom you know, all it matters is whether you have put student first and you bring in a great attitude every day to work and believe in taking the company forward every day

ConsIf there were any, I would have let the executive team know. There is no point in ranting about those issues on glass door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on course since we are onto something huge which will change the education system. And on top of that, its a nobel cause. Negative glass door reviews should not defocus anyone from the goals since the team that believes in the vision and mission is going to deliver!

Chegg needs to rebuild.

Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros* The CEO Dan is a charismatic leader with a lot of connections in the industry.
    * Very little turnover in senior management. This is a sign the execs are committed to success.
    * Fixing education is a respectable goal and Chegg is a company with enough power to have an impact.
    * Employees are friendly and the type of people you would want to have as neighbors.
    * Chegg has a very good lunch program.

Cons* Chegg needs to rebuild itself as a non-textbook rental company. This could take many years. Chegg is a great company with great people but fixing the stock price will take a while.
    * The location is ok for people in San Jose but horrible for people from SF.
    * Compensation is just ok, not bad but not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job setting expectations.

Great company, great mission!!

ProsAmazing people to work with, fantastic culture, fun environment, great management team, top-notch benefits

ConsI can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

An amazing opportunity and experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe people are great! The culture is fantastic and the work life balance is perfect. Interning at Chegg was an experience I won't forget. Everyone was helpful and accessible.

ConsLocated far from SF. Still a small company so some limited opportunity still, but growing fast!

Experience at chegg

ProsIt is a very flexible company to work with, you can work from home and get paid!

ConsThey should increase their salary rate.

Very happy with my new position at Chegg!

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat combination of internet and physical businesses, with very clear mission and strong growth opportunities. Amazing line-up of leadership talent, with execs from many of the most successful Silicon Valley firms. Superb benefits, great culture. Bright people, great benefits, strong vision and mission, Chegg for Good creates a mechanism for doing good in the community and around the world. Very clear focus on the student, no lack of clarity about whom we serve. Many of the qualities of an internet start-up, but very well funded with a strong balance sheet and lots of investor support.

ConsStill grappling with the start-up issues, processes (HR, Finance) still a little in flux or needing more definition.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!!

Great Place to Work

Senior Data Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat place to work, Worked in the Data Engineering team. Great team culture. Open to new ideas. Great support. Great Inclusion. Overall great vision for the company future.
    Good culture and company has bright future. Free lunch and lot of fun activities. Very flexible and accommodating.

ConsAs any other fast growing pains. I think company must focus on that as well. The company is focussed on student services which is good for the over all education.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are doing great, they need more training to do their job much better. This is not specific to any person. This is purely my observation. I think the top team is working on this. Otherwise I think any fast growing company which faces fast paced issues. I am hoping things will get better.

Worked for Chegg? Contribute to the Community!