Chegg Reviews

Reset
4.2
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • Other perks: free lunch, gym etc (in 15 reviews)

• great cause, great work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec (in 3 reviews)

1. Smart, focused company with great people and good atmosphere

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people committed to doing the work right. Supportive company with great benefits and fantastic life-work balance.

Cons

I haven't found one yet.

The Good & Bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* beautiful office - layout, design/decoration, sitting/standing desks, windows/lighting, quad/lunch room, conf rooms * free lunches - yummy, healthy and somewhat catered thanks to eat club service * healthy/good snacks and plenty of hot/cold drinks * fun/festive events - somewhat college atmosphere with pool table, ping pong tables, nearby bocce ball court, walking trails, games and large kitchen/quad * strong mission statement to save students time, money and get smarter * volunteer events (plant a tree in Tahoe, second harvest)

Cons

* not a tech company, conglomeration of services acquired for their sales numbers, not for technology and/or talent * you won't make much impact as a developer, most time spent refactoring existing/old gen code since it's often the scapegoat for slowing the company down * 80%+ company management, sales, business, account and product managers, means not enough engineering to tackle all the projects the business wants/needs * senior engineers will not like all the distractions, working with junior engineers (interns, new grads, remote/offshore teams), sustaining engineering work

Advice to Management

See cons.

3. software engineering

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture, values, provide valuable service to consumers

Cons

sometimes confusing product development, roles and organization

Advice to Management

continue building quality engineering organization

5. I worked as a part-time textbook solutions for computer programming books.

Former Employee - Textbook Author in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Textbook Author in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work is flexible, you can do remotely.

Cons

paid is not sufficient. Some textbook questions take more than 2 hours to program but $ for one question is only around $10. So if you average your paid and work hours, you hourly wage is way below minimum wage.

Advice to Management

n/a

Saddled with a dying textbook business, but breaking free

Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The company has a good long-term strategy around transitioning the business to higher-margin digital services. * The people are great, and it's a fun company. * Free lunch! :)

Cons

* The textbook business occupies far too much of the company's resources, but this is changing with the Ingram deal! * Lots of re-org'ing, which can be disruptive. * Tend to get into lots of side-projects without clear goals.

Advice to Management

Go all-in on the digital strategy. Get away from textbooks and any projects that don't directly contribute to significant user engagement and revenue.

Software Engineering Internship at Chegg

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Chegg is definitely one of the best companies to work at. The company culture is great! Everyone is friendly there. It's the perfect size. It's large enough that you can constantly meet new people, but small enough that you recognize a lot of people at the office. Dan the CEO is great and laid back. He was there watching the World Cup with us. We have CheggChats every now and then. Chegg invites people like MC Hammer, Meg Whitman, and Jess Weiner to the company. We use EAT Club as the catering service. It's pretty decent.

Cons

As an intern, the team I was working in was pretty busy. It would be great if I could interact better with the team. But it all depends on the team you're in. Some interns don't have the same experience as I did.

8. Great Intern Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg

Pros

Team structure, open community. They really want you to get something out of your internship. The people I worked with were amazing.

Cons

They are going through some growing pains, but are working it out. The intern program is super structured, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how self driven you are.

9. Summer I'll Never Forget!

Former Intern - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was referred by a family member to intern there. The work environment is fun with lots of office games (ping pong, pool, etc.), parties and free lunch everyday! They had an amazing intern program for all of us. The intern program manager was so sweet. She listened to me, spent time helping write professional goals and organized a fun program with events in the city. My manager was the best. She mentored me in my work and on career goals. I felt like I was taken seriously on my team. During team meetings I knew I was a valued member and my opinions were taken seriously. Overall, this past summer made me feel like I made a difference. I would return in a heartbeat!

Cons

From an intern perspective, none that I could think of. I'll come back and post as an employee one day--hopefully!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

10. Collaborative, positive, energetic

Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company aims to do real good, helping students get through college and into good careers. It's a very positive culture - people are friendly, collaborative, respectful. (I've worked for companies that are cut-throat, territorial, political - Chegg is none of those.) The workplace is beautiful, bright and airy; the HR team takes care of the team with benefits from top notch health plans to free lunch to car washes to Halloween parties. Compensation is VERY competitive with the valley.

Cons

Chegg stock has been languishing all year. The company needs to get that up in order to retain and attract top talent.

11. Great internship experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, free lunch, snacks, gym etc. Internship program was very well organized: speaker series given by company leaders, outdoor activities (SF city tour, Giants game, etc), internship showcase, etc. Employees here are very talented and supportive.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons for the internship.

Chegg Response

Dec 10, 2014 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for leaving great review! Top Notch Internship experience is so important to us.

RSS Feed </> Embed