Chegg

Updated December 22, 2014
4.0

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career (in 15 reviews)

• work environment is fairly flexible - flexible hours, wfh (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Software Engineering Internship at Chegg

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Chegg is definitely one of the best companies to work at. The company culture is great! Everyone is friendly there. It's the perfect size. It's large enough that you can constantly meet new people, but small enough that you recognize a lot of people at the office. Dan the CEO is great and laid back. He was there watching the World Cup with us. We have CheggChats every now and then. Chegg invites people like MC Hammer, Meg Whitman, and Jess Weiner to the company. We use EAT Club as the catering service. It's pretty decent.

Cons

As an intern, the team I was working in was pretty busy. It would be great if I could interact better with the team. But it all depends on the team you're in. Some interns don't have the same experience as I did.

Summer I'll Never Forget!

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was referred by a family member to intern there. The work environment is fun with lots of office games (ping pong, pool, etc.), parties and free lunch everyday! They had an amazing intern program for all of us. The intern program manager was so sweet. She listened to me, spent time helping write professional goals and organized a fun program with events in the city. My manager was the best. She mentored me in my work and on career goals. I felt like I was taken seriously on my team. During team meetings I knew I was a valued member and my opinions were taken seriously. Overall, this past summer made me feel like I made a difference. I would return in a heartbeat!

Cons

From an intern perspective, none that I could think of. I'll come back and post as an employee one day--hopefully!

Keep doing what you're doing.

Collaborative, positive, energetic

Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company aims to do real good, helping students get through college and into good careers.
    It's a very positive culture - people are friendly, collaborative, respectful. (I've worked for companies that are cut-throat, territorial, political - Chegg is none of those.)
    The workplace is beautiful, bright and airy; the HR team takes care of the team with benefits from top notch health plans to free lunch to car washes to Halloween parties.
    Compensation is VERY competitive with the valley.

Cons

Chegg stock has been languishing all year. The company needs to get that up in order to retain and attract top talent.

Great internship experience

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, free lunch, snacks, gym etc. Internship program was very well organized: speaker series given by company leaders, outdoor activities (SF city tour, Giants game, etc), internship showcase, etc. Employees here are very talented and supportive.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons for the internship.

Chegg Response

Dec 10, 2014Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for leaving great review! Top Notch Internship experience is so important to us.

Awesome culture!

Former Employee - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Trendy office. Smart people(Nice people). Very cool perks even for a temp worker. Smart tools. Well managed teams. Transparency. They try to stay and use cutting edge tools for software development. CEO is a very cool person. I feel motivated coming to the office everyday. A truly good place to work when you are given very good perks and of course, talented colleagues(Free food. Gym. Hackathon. Monthly guest speakers).

Cons

Hmm.. Career growth? I am not sure. I am temp worker.

Keep up the good work! I want this company to succeed and go beyond. Staying in the education industry is good enough service.

Great Company with Awesome Work Culture!

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked here as an intern. Great company with very good work culture! Had opportunity to work on very good projects. all the intern events were very well organized and had lot of fun!! In all a great internship experience.
    Other perks: free lunch, gym etc

Cons

There are no cons !!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people here are very welcoming and friendly. They are very much aligned with the company's mission. The work is great and the benefits are pretty good. Well organized for a company which went public recently. They have continuos integration and follow standard coding practices.
    The choices for the free lunch are pretty good as well and they save time and money. Work hours are decent and not as bad as some of the others might have mentioned. Other perks are free gym/classes, flexible vacation(unlimited as they call it), chegg chats(speaker series, they brought in jeff weiner, meg whitman recently). Overall a fun environment to work!!

Cons

I honestly do not have lot of cons up until now.

Love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg (more than an year)

Pros

The mission of the company is what gets me out of bed in the morning. These folks are serious about improving education and making students lives better. So I really enjoy working for a company doing something I believe in. The guest speakers that come in are phenomenal. Hard working yet still really good work/ life balance in a positive, fun environment with lots of perqs.

Cons

No company is perfect but the positive far outweighs any negative.

Best Internship Ever!!!

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Where to begin? Let's start at the beginning--I met a company rep (turned out to be the intern program manager) at a career fair. She was very approachable and knowledgeable about the company, the internship, and what I'd be doing that summer. I gave her my resume and left feeling good, but knew like most students, I'd never get a call back. I'm glad I was wrong, she called me back 1-2 weeks later, we had a phone interview, then a second with my future manager, and then was offered a PAID internship. I was so happy, but a little nervous at the idea of working all summer long. Good thing my team and my manager were so supportive and fun it didn't feel like working. The intern program manager met me on my first day, and we had a meeting with a bunch of other interns (phew! I wasn't the only intern!) and then she organized intern events all summer long. We went to SF, a Giants game, and the IT/Computer History museum, so awesome! But that wasn't all--we even got to meet each executive and they spoke to us about their college years, careers and even answered our questions. The awesome CEO even arranged MC Hammer and Ashton Kutcher to meet us. My internship final came near the end when I was asked to present what I did that summer...to the whole company!! I was so nervous. But my manager, some people on my team and the intern program manager coached me and we ran through practice sessions together. All and all an amazing summer :)

Cons

Hard to say, great culture, good perks (pay, gym, free lunch, lots of snacks, ping pong and other games) so I can't complain about any of that. I wasn't offered a full time job yet.........but there's still time!!!

Great company and mission

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company mission and vision is loud and clear at Chegg. The company culture is amazing with guest speakers, team building events and awesome perks. For a company of Chegg's size, I'm amazed by the management's transparency.

Cons

I honestly don't have any right now.