Chegg Reviews

Reset
4.2
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • Other perks: free lunch, gym etc (in 15 reviews)

• great cause, great work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec (in 3 reviews)

1. Working on important problem with good people in stimulating, sometimes ambiguous environment

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

* Doing well by doing good - improving educational access is highly motivating * Unpolitical do-what's-right-for the customer environment. Surprisingly good here. * Broad independence on lifestyle, in office time, vacation * Everyone gets to contribute to workplan * Energetic work environment * No @ssholes - friendly culture

Cons

* Can be ambiguous what's important to leadership - not a clear process or communication plan * Career development / promotion plan is not well defined

2. Chegg has assembled amazing executive talent

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

Whether it's to push for an IPO, or just to make the business grow as much as possible, the company has assembled an amazing executive team in recent months. The company is growing quickly, having completed four acquisitions in the past year, so there is always plenty of work to do, and marketshare to obtain. It is a very collaborative workplace, and the future of the company is based on how the entire company grows, not just isolated groups. The company has regular awards to celebrate employees who embody Chegg's core values, and offers free lunches, snacks and drinks every day. It is a great place to work and I enjoy going to work every day. Plus, I feel positive that we're helping college students save time, save money and get smarter.

Cons

Chegg is growing too big for its present space. This is probably just a side-effect of its impressive recent growth.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to change the world. Chegg has an amazing product offering and very talented employees. Combined with the management team in place, it seems destined to disrupt the education system in a very positive way.

3. Fast paced, fun, interesting, innovated place to work that I am excited to live out my career with.

Current Employee - Finance in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

Chegg is a fast pace, fun start up with a great reason for existing. It's filled with incredibly intelligent and innovative people. Every day is a new day and every project is about moving forward and innovation. The great part of a start up is that you are not just coming to work for the same day to day tasks. Each person has variable skills whether they know it or not and Chegg more than allows you to add your input to the various projects. This company is the perfect fit for a get-bored-easily-multi-tasker team player!

Cons

Because the company is moving so fast and projects are popping up all the time, the communiation between groups and the respect for how one flow affects another department is just plain lacking. Often, some spark has initiated in a different department and all of a sudden, months later, someone asks, "should we tell the engineers to track it so accounting can bill it?" However, Chegg has realized this and is working on it...

Advice to Management

The biggest complaint I hear, and the one that I have, is the communication between departments. Its getting better as lots as been done although more can be done such as a well maintained intranet to include company information and updated policies and procedures.

5. Chegg has a very distinct mission and moves toward its goals in a fun,focused, and exciting manner.

Current Employee - Design Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Design Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

Chegg's employees are comprised of a very diverse group of people. No matter where you are there is always something for you to learn from someone. The knowledge surrounding you is virtually endless. On top of that the management team is stacked and very understanding of peoples' personal lives. They motivate their employees to get their jobs done while having fun doing them. In all Chegg is a great experience

Cons

Chegg always promotes new ideas. However in doing so, I feel that the company, at times, is trying to accomplish too much at once. Though I believe these ideas are great in the long run I feel the companies focus should be slightly narrowed.

Advice to Management

Promote more intra-company communication. The environment is amazing and work gets done at a fantastic rate. However at times I notice groups, which are working together, are not always on the same page.

6. Great experience so far! Chegg seems to really care about their employees, and provides great incentives!

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

Working at Chegg has been great! Besides all the great food and other fantastic incentives the environment is very friendly and outgoing. It seems they really try to address all the problems employees might have and openly listen to suggestions about how to improve their operations. If you ask for more work opportunities, they will gladly figure out how to get you involved in extra projects that help you advance within the company.

Cons

No major complaints so far. Perhaps just re-structure the way office space is organized. It's odd that some of the management is located all the way on the other side of the building.

Advice to Management

I think the management has done a great job keeping everyone involved individually towards the benefit of the company as a whole. However, it'd be helpful to have more team meetings to better express the outline of the tasks to be performed.

7. It has been a fast pace ride, but an overall great experience.

Current Employee - Notehall Team in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Notehall Team in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

The Chegg people have all been pretty welcoming of the new Notehall team, they provide lunch and a nice atmosphere so you have a place to get up and walk around if you need a minute to gather yourself. You learn a lot and for the most part it is a positive attitude, the people are very nice and it is fast pace but they are very understanding of students schedules and they are very flexible so I can balance my school/personal life with work. They also rewarded those who do well and let us know that our efforts weren't going unnoticed.

Cons

I feel like the people who work for the newly acquired websites are kind of in a different world compared to the regular Chegg employees, we were hired for the semester but sometimes we feel kind of disposable at any moment if they don't need us anymore. It was rough because we are trying new things this semester so each week there seems to be a new focus compared to the week before so it can be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to know if we ever have a chance at advancing with the company or what other opportunities exist. They have been really nice though and supportive and seeing the CEO walking around all the time and make an effort to say hi is very nice so keep it up!

8. Wonderful work environment to grow as a professional and experience business development

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg

Pros

Chegg has a very open work environment and there are a lot of great opportunities for advancement and experience. Everyone working at Chegg is interesting and fun to be around. There is a great work culture and community. Monthly meetings keep you involved in what's happening with the company.

Cons

Slowly running out of space to fit everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

9. The more rewarding part of my career history has been at Chegg

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, above-average salary, unlimited vacation policy, free lunch every day, awesome gym, very flexible work/life balance, challenging (but manageable) problems to work on, great opportunity for career development... I could keep going on for quite a while. Chegg has exceeded every expectation I had and continues to do so. I think that the greatest underlying success about Chegg is management's transparency. The leaders don't put up with hidden agendas, middle-management bureaucrats, or political power struggles--they keep communication clear and simple, focus on goals, and care about the customers as much as the future of the company.

Cons

The old HQ was getting pretty crowded despite it's nice 360 view of the entire south bay. The new HQ office (as of Oct 2012) doesn't have the view--but makes up for it with much more space to grow. Although I don't see it as a "con"--I would suggest that it takes the right kind of person to excel here. If you're just looking for a job that you can go to for 8 hours and return home thinking that you were fishing the whole time--please don't bother applying. We have some of the brightest minds working on monumental problems with a mission to make a better world by improving education. There are days that I'll keep working on a problem past 5pm--not because I need to--but because I want to. In fact--even if I were to leave the company--I would still try to find the solution to that problem; because I love what I do. If you don't enjoy the work you do; you probably won't see Chegg the same way that I do... Of course, if you don't enjoy the work you do; you're unlikely to enjoy any job at any employer!

Advice to Management

Keep the course! The company is clearly moving in the right direction. Be very selective when hiring managers as we continue to grow. The managers we currently have are all great--but its only obvious that we'll need more as we continue adding more engineers to our workforce. I've seen (and worked at) too many places ruined by managers that can drive the talent out of a company in the matter of months. In fact--as unconventional and extreme as it sounds--an idea might be to try hiring managers on a contract-to-hire basis just to ensure that something like that doesn't happen.

10. Best Place to work so far!

Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is all about using technology to enhance system reporting. Minimize manual labor. We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career. People here are awesome.

Cons

We can use more cross departmental communication. Sometimes i feel the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and this causes delays and confusion.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

11. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, Worked in the Data Engineering team. Great team culture. Open to new ideas. Great support. Great Inclusion. Overall great vision for the company future. Good culture and company has bright future. Free lunch and lot of fun activities. Very flexible and accommodating.

Cons

As any other fast growing pains. I think company must focus on that as well. The company is focussed on student services which is good for the over all education.

Advice to Management

Managers are doing great, they need more training to do their job much better. This is not specific to any person. This is purely my observation. I think the top team is working on this. Otherwise I think any fast growing company which faces fast paced issues. I am hoping things will get better.

RSS Feed </> Embed