Chegg

Chegg Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig

Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • You get a somewhat decent free lunch(in 11 reviews)

• great cause, great work environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains(in 4 reviews)

• People just disappear with no word on why they were let go(in 3 reviews)

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company and mission

Marketing (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe company mission and vision is loud and clear at Chegg. The company culture is amazing with guest speakers, team building events and awesome perks. For a company of Chegg's size, I'm amazed by the management's transparency.

ConsI honestly don't have any right now.

A company with a mission!

Engineering (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsIts not easy for anyone to survive in a company that is competitive and is out to solve a hard problem. I wont talk about all the perks since every company in the valley is expected to offer those benefits. I want to talk about what defines Chegg and its engineering culture:
    - I love that in-spite of all the uncertainties around ed-tech industry, engineers who believe in our mission have stuck around and made it their personal mission to serve the student
    - Leadership team believes in the engineering team and has put full trust in engineering leadership to do what is right for the students and the share holders
    - We have had few bumps during our growth but we have learned and rectified them quickly and executive team have always supported us. We believe in life long learning and failures are a part of every success story
    - Chegg believes in rewarding the brightest and the smartest. It rewards individuals who put oxygen in the room than individuals who are toxic and suck it out of the room.
    - It does not matter whom you know, all it matters is whether you have put student first and you bring in a great attitude every day to work and believe in taking the company forward every day

ConsIf there were any, I would have let the executive team know. There is no point in ranting about those issues on glass door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on course since we are onto something huge which will change the education system. And on top of that, its a nobel cause. Negative glass door reviews should not defocus anyone from the goals since the team that believes in the vision and mission is going to deliver!

Chegg needs to rebuild.

Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros* The CEO Dan is a charismatic leader with a lot of connections in the industry.
    * Very little turnover in senior management. This is a sign the execs are committed to success.
    * Fixing education is a respectable goal and Chegg is a company with enough power to have an impact.
    * Employees are friendly and the type of people you would want to have as neighbors.
    * Chegg has a very good lunch program.

Cons* Chegg needs to rebuild itself as a non-textbook rental company. This could take many years. Chegg is a great company with great people but fixing the stock price will take a while.
    * The location is ok for people in San Jose but horrible for people from SF.
    * Compensation is just ok, not bad but not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job setting expectations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An amazing opportunity and experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe people are great! The culture is fantastic and the work life balance is perfect. Interning at Chegg was an experience I won't forget. Everyone was helpful and accessible.

ConsLocated far from SF. Still a small company so some limited opportunity still, but growing fast!

Great Place to Work

Senior Data Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat place to work, Worked in the Data Engineering team. Great team culture. Open to new ideas. Great support. Great Inclusion. Overall great vision for the company future.
    Good culture and company has bright future. Free lunch and lot of fun activities. Very flexible and accommodating.

ConsAs any other fast growing pains. I think company must focus on that as well. The company is focussed on student services which is good for the over all education.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are doing great, they need more training to do their job much better. This is not specific to any person. This is purely my observation. I think the top team is working on this. Otherwise I think any fast growing company which faces fast paced issues. I am hoping things will get better.

Best Place to work so far!

Revenue Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe team is all about using technology to enhance system reporting. Minimize manual labor. We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career. People here are awesome.

ConsWe can use more cross departmental communication. Sometimes i feel the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and this causes delays and confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

The more rewarding part of my career history has been at Chegg

Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat benefits, above-average salary, unlimited vacation policy, free lunch every day, awesome gym, very flexible work/life balance, challenging (but manageable) problems to work on, great opportunity for career development... I could keep going on for quite a while. Chegg has exceeded every expectation I had and continues to do so.

I think that the greatest underlying success about Chegg is management's transparency. The leaders don't put up with hidden agendas, middle-management bureaucrats, or political power struggles--they keep communication clear and simple, focus on goals, and care about the customers as much as the future of the company.

ConsThe old HQ was getting pretty crowded despite it's nice 360 view of the entire south bay. The new HQ office (as of Oct 2012) doesn't have the view--but makes up for it with much more space to grow.

Although I don't see it as a "con"--I would suggest that it takes the right kind of person to excel here. If you're just looking for a job that you can go to for 8 hours and return home thinking that you were fishing the whole time--please don't bother applying. We have some of the brightest minds working on monumental problems with a mission to make a better world by improving education. There are days that I'll keep working on a problem past 5pm--not because I need to--but because I want to. In fact--even if I were to leave the company--I would still try to find the solution to that problem; because I love what I do. If you don't enjoy the work you do; you probably won't see Chegg the same way that I do... Of course, if you don't enjoy the work you do; you're unlikely to enjoy any job at any employer!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the course! The company is clearly moving in the right direction.

Be very selective when hiring managers as we continue to grow. The managers we currently have are all great--but its only obvious that we'll need more as we continue adding more engineers to our workforce. I've seen (and worked at) too many places ruined by managers that can drive the talent out of a company in the matter of months.

In fact--as unconventional and extreme as it sounds--an idea might be to try hiring managers on a contract-to-hire basis just to ensure that something like that doesn't happen.

Wonderful work environment to grow as a professional and experience business development

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsChegg has a very open work environment and there are a lot of great opportunities for advancement and experience. Everyone working at Chegg is interesting and fun to be around. There is a great work culture and community. Monthly meetings keep you involved in what's happening with the company.

ConsSlowly running out of space to fit everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

It has been a fast pace ride, but an overall great experience.

Notehall Team (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe Chegg people have all been pretty welcoming of the new Notehall team, they provide lunch and a nice atmosphere so you have a place to get up and walk around if you need a minute to gather yourself. You learn a lot and for the most part it is a positive attitude, the people are very nice and it is fast pace but they are very understanding of students schedules and they are very flexible so I can balance my school/personal life with work.
    They also rewarded those who do well and let us know that our efforts weren't going unnoticed.

ConsI feel like the people who work for the newly acquired websites are kind of in a different world compared to the regular Chegg employees, we were hired for the semester but sometimes we feel kind of disposable at any moment if they don't need us anymore. It was rough because we are trying new things this semester so each week there seems to be a new focus compared to the week before so it can be inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to know if we ever have a chance at advancing with the company or what other opportunities exist. They have been really nice though and supportive and seeing the CEO walking around all the time and make an effort to say hi is very nice so keep it up!

Great experience so far! Chegg seems to really care about their employees, and provides great incentives!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsWorking at Chegg has been great! Besides all the great food and other fantastic incentives the environment is very friendly and outgoing. It seems they really try to address all the problems employees might have and openly listen to suggestions about how to improve their operations. If you ask for more work opportunities, they will gladly figure out how to get you involved in extra projects that help you advance within the company.

ConsNo major complaints so far. Perhaps just re-structure the way office space is organized. It's odd that some of the management is located all the way on the other side of the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management has done a great job keeping everyone involved individually towards the benefit of the company as a whole. However, it'd be helpful to have more team meetings to better express the outline of the tasks to be performed.

Worked for Chegg? Contribute to the Community!