Chegg

Updated March 3, 2015
4.2

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career (in 15 reviews)

• work environment is fairly flexible - flexible hours, wfh (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Saddled with a dying textbook business, but breaking free

Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* The company has a good long-term strategy around transitioning the business to higher-margin digital services.
    * The people are great, and it's a fun company.
    * Free lunch! :)

Cons

* The textbook business occupies far too much of the company's resources, but this is changing with the Ingram deal!
    * Lots of re-org'ing, which can be disruptive.
    * Tend to get into lots of side-projects without clear goals.

Go all-in on the digital strategy. Get away from textbooks and any projects that don't directly contribute to significant user engagement and revenue.

Great Intern Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg

Pros

Team structure, open community. They really want you to get something out of your internship. The people I worked with were amazing.

Cons

They are going through some growing pains, but are working it out. The intern program is super structured, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how self driven you are.

Software Engineering Internship at Chegg

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Chegg is definitely one of the best companies to work at. The company culture is great! Everyone is friendly there. It's the perfect size. It's large enough that you can constantly meet new people, but small enough that you recognize a lot of people at the office. Dan the CEO is great and laid back. He was there watching the World Cup with us. We have CheggChats every now and then. Chegg invites people like MC Hammer, Meg Whitman, and Jess Weiner to the company. We use EAT Club as the catering service. It's pretty decent.

Cons

As an intern, the team I was working in was pretty busy. It would be great if I could interact better with the team. But it all depends on the team you're in. Some interns don't have the same experience as I did.

Summer I'll Never Forget!

Former Intern - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was referred by a family member to intern there. The work environment is fun with lots of office games (ping pong, pool, etc.), parties and free lunch everyday! They had an amazing intern program for all of us. The intern program manager was so sweet. She listened to me, spent time helping write professional goals and organized a fun program with events in the city. My manager was the best. She mentored me in my work and on career goals. I felt like I was taken seriously on my team. During team meetings I knew I was a valued member and my opinions were taken seriously. Overall, this past summer made me feel like I made a difference. I would return in a heartbeat!

Cons

From an intern perspective, none that I could think of. I'll come back and post as an employee one day--hopefully!

Keep doing what you're doing.

Collaborative, positive, energetic

Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Design in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company aims to do real good, helping students get through college and into good careers.
    It's a very positive culture - people are friendly, collaborative, respectful. (I've worked for companies that are cut-throat, territorial, political - Chegg is none of those.)
    The workplace is beautiful, bright and airy; the HR team takes care of the team with benefits from top notch health plans to free lunch to car washes to Halloween parties.
    Compensation is VERY competitive with the valley.

Cons

Chegg stock has been languishing all year. The company needs to get that up in order to retain and attract top talent.

Great internship experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, free lunch, snacks, gym etc. Internship program was very well organized: speaker series given by company leaders, outdoor activities (SF city tour, Giants game, etc), internship showcase, etc. Employees here are very talented and supportive.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons for the internship.

Chegg Response

Dec 10, 2014Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for leaving great review! Top Notch Internship experience is so important to us.

A nice place to stay

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice knowing that the company is trying to help others.
    Depending on managers you can usually get a lot of free time to play games in the office, working out at the gym, or go for short walks to help clear your mind.
    Choice of lunch every day + snacks

Cons

Moving away from old systems is slow.

More transparency and less surprises is always nice.

Awesome culture!

Former Contractor - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Trendy office. Smart people(Nice people). Very cool perks even for a temp worker. Smart tools. Well managed teams. Transparency. They try to stay and use cutting edge tools for software development. CEO is a very cool person. I feel motivated coming to the office everyday. A truly good place to work when you are given very good perks and of course, talented colleagues(Free food. Gym. Hackathon. Monthly guest speakers).

Cons

Hmm.. Career growth? I am not sure. I am temp worker.

Keep up the good work! I want this company to succeed and go beyond. Staying in the education industry is good enough service.

Chegg is always pushing the envelope

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Chegg's work environment is pleasant, with great design aesthetics, activities, and snacks. The company is innovative and well structured.

Cons

There is little departmental interaction, and vertical growth (was) very difficult due to managerial alliances that were formed during the company's early days.

Exploit the skills and talents from all employees, no matter what their position, because even the lowest level has growth potential--and that growth can be fostered within the company, or ultimately with a competitor.

Good company with friendly people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are friendly, compensation is good, free lunches and it is possible to take long vacations. The office contains a pool table and a gym.

Cons

Being typecast in a role is quite common (and a lot of employees there know it), so it is difficult to expand career wise.