Chegg

Updated December 22, 2014
4.1

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career (in 15 reviews)

• work environment is fairly flexible - flexible hours, wfh (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Passionate people and a great mission and value!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and amazing group of people. Everyone is passionate and really cares about the mission of Chegg which makes it easier to be at work. They really value interns especially since we are they're target market. We get to work on actual projects and across teams. I have learnt so much throughout my time here and I really love the culture of this company. As an intern we got to do a lot of things this summer - intern events in the city to meeting all the executives in the company to Chegg chats (got to hear from MC Hammar, Jeff Weiner and more to come..). People in the company work hard and strive to be amongst the best when to comes to students and education.
    The CEO of the company is like no other. He is always talking to people around the office especially the interns to find out how to make the product better and reach the goal he has set. He has a lot of insights into the industry and is always ready to talk.

Cons

It's hard to say! But, sometimes I wish things would move a bit faster.

Great Ideas, poor execution

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low expectations of employees, free lunch, loose paid time off policy (only if your manager is nice), lots of schwag, free parking

Cons

Poor internal communication, no consistency, weak management, constantly shifting focus, wastes lots of money on schwag. The CEO is a good cheerleader, but 90% of what he promises is not delivered. He also has a foul mouth, drops F bombs and makes lewd jokes during company meetings. You will also never get promoted at Chegg, ever.

Define a process on how to build products/features/ect.... Hold yourself accountable to that process, whatever it may be. Choose one thing, focus on doing it very well. Then and only then, expand to building the next thing. Trust your employees. Stop wasting stockholders money on schwag, seriously slow down on all that gabnage. Make your brand consistent across all your products.

Best Internship Ever!!!

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Where to begin? Let's start at the beginning--I met a company rep (turned out to be the intern program manager) at a career fair. She was very approachable and knowledgeable about the company, the internship, and what I'd be doing that summer. I gave her my resume and left feeling good, but knew like most students, I'd never get a call back. I'm glad I was wrong, she called me back 1-2 weeks later, we had a phone interview, then a second with my future manager, and then was offered a PAID internship. I was so happy, but a little nervous at the idea of working all summer long. Good thing my team and my manager were so supportive and fun it didn't feel like working. The intern program manager met me on my first day, and we had a meeting with a bunch of other interns (phew! I wasn't the only intern!) and then she organized intern events all summer long. We went to SF, a Giants game, and the IT/Computer History museum, so awesome! But that wasn't all--we even got to meet each executive and they spoke to us about their college years, careers and even answered our questions. The awesome CEO even arranged MC Hammer and Ashton Kutcher to meet us. My internship final came near the end when I was asked to present what I did that summer...to the whole company!! I was so nervous. But my manager, some people on my team and the intern program manager coached me and we ran through practice sessions together. All and all an amazing summer :)

Cons

Hard to say, great culture, good perks (pay, gym, free lunch, lots of snacks, ping pong and other games) so I can't complain about any of that. I wasn't offered a full time job yet.........but there's still time!!!

Love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg (more than an year)

Pros

The mission of the company is what gets me out of bed in the morning. These folks are serious about improving education and making students lives better. So I really enjoy working for a company doing something I believe in. The guest speakers that come in are phenomenal. Hard working yet still really good work/ life balance in a positive, fun environment with lots of perqs.

Cons

No company is perfect but the positive far outweighs any negative.

Great company and mission

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company mission and vision is loud and clear at Chegg. The company culture is amazing with guest speakers, team building events and awesome perks. For a company of Chegg's size, I'm amazed by the management's transparency.

Cons

I honestly don't have any right now.

temporary help and made to feel like it

Former Employee - Customer Support in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg part-time (less than an year)

Pros

they brought food for the temporary help

Cons

pretty much everything. there were some HR violations that were rather concerning, but they may have also been temp workers.

hire some of the people who you have as temps as full time. it will give incentive to temps to work to get hired full time.

Good learning experience. Team is very friendly and co-operative.

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed building apps from scratch.

Cons

Team needs better engineer direction.

Long term vision and direction needs to improve.

Chegg needs to rebuild.

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* The CEO Dan is a charismatic leader with a lot of connections in the industry.
    * Very little turnover in senior management. This is a sign the execs are committed to success.
    * Fixing education is a respectable goal and Chegg is a company with enough power to have an impact.
    * Employees are friendly and the type of people you would want to have as neighbors.
    * Chegg has a very good lunch program.

Cons

* Chegg needs to rebuild itself as a non-textbook rental company. This could take many years. Chegg is a great company with great people but fixing the stock price will take a while.
    * The location is ok for people in San Jose but horrible for people from SF.
    * Compensation is just ok, not bad but not great.

Do a better job setting expectations.

A company with a mission!

Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its not easy for anyone to survive in a company that is competitive and is out to solve a hard problem. I wont talk about all the perks since every company in the valley is expected to offer those benefits. I want to talk about what defines Chegg and its engineering culture:
    - I love that in-spite of all the uncertainties around ed-tech industry, engineers who believe in our mission have stuck around and made it their personal mission to serve the student
    - Leadership team believes in the engineering team and has put full trust in engineering leadership to do what is right for the students and the share holders
    - We have had few bumps during our growth but we have learned and rectified them quickly and executive team have always supported us. We believe in life long learning and failures are a part of every success story
    - Chegg believes in rewarding the brightest and the smartest. It rewards individuals who put oxygen in the room than individuals who are toxic and suck it out of the room.
    - It does not matter whom you know, all it matters is whether you have put student first and you bring in a great attitude every day to work and believe in taking the company forward every day

Cons

If there were any, I would have let the executive team know. There is no point in ranting about those issues on glass door.

Stay on course since we are onto something huge which will change the education system. And on top of that, its a nobel cause. Negative glass door reviews should not defocus anyone from the goals since the team that believes in the vision and mission is going to deliver!

Needs real leadership

Current Employee - Not Engineering in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Not Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

Great benefits:
    - full medical coverage
    - on-site gym
    - free lunches/breakfast
    - great parties
    - unlimited vacation
    - wildly connected employees (leaders of all the major companies in Silicon Valley)

Cons

Where to begin...
    - lack of managerial ownership, a team of A-types, & interdepartmental conflicting priorities = a lot of wasted time, pointless meetings, and incomplete projects.
    - 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec
    - run around on promotions (they are not merit based)
    - amnesia about company history: new leaders fail to look at how we got where we are
    - questionable business ethics (driven by $$$$)
    - becoming 'good ole boys club' culture
    - slowest product development I've seen compared to other tech companies I've worked at for years in the valley
    - have to threaten to quit or present manager with a new offer for salary increases

Reward your good employees, actually 'put students first', invest in new product leadership