Chemeketa Community College

Chemeketa Community College Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Student Tutor

Student Worker (Former Employee)
    Salem, OR

ProsThe supervisors were caring and contributed to a positive work environment. There were also great opportunities for learning as the tutors encountered new situations with different students coming into the center.

ConsThe environment was sort of rushed, especially during finals week when the center was busy and tutors were encouraged to help students quickly and move on to help other students. Appointments for longer sessions such as in the writing center might have been helpful for some students.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for tutors on how to handle/relate to different kinds of students might be helpful, since there was a diverse spectrum of visitors to the center.

If you have work study and math skills, good place to share knowledge and get money.

Tutor III (Former Employee)
    Salem, OR

ProsTutoring center has an excellent work culture, paid training, and is a good place to work on homework while off duty. Supervisors love input from students and tutors, and will also help if you can't help a student.

ConsDifficult to get in without work study, especially if the economy is bad. Job security may be more challenging if you are not part of the faculty members' union.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure that students are able to access more advanced courses and employment on satellite campus, there are enough qualified instructors to teach courses at advanced levels, and do not restrict financial aid for people who did not successfully transfer to a 4-year school. Both students and faculty would benefit.

Great for family time and having a life outside of work.

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Salem, OR

ProsVery flexible working conditions and somewhat flexible hours. Very limited evening and weekend work which is not common for an IT job. A lot of great people to work with.

ConsBenefits (retirement and otherwise) are being whittled away quickly. Pay is at the bottom end of the technical field. Positions are largely part of the classified union and the "decision band method" is used for classification. This very closely ties technical positions to non-technical positions for bargaining and pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnvironment needs a bit more structure (which is happening). Pay needs to be better than the current "below average" for the technical skills and experience needed. This is hard to get in the public education sector, but without it the college will continue to experience talent drain and will have to look at outsourcing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Adjunct Faculty at Chemeketa

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
    Salem, OR

ProsWe have a high degree of autonomy in our teaching. I can make it what I want it to be. The schedule is flexible. The students are great and you feel great teaching them. The union is OK. You get to change lives.

ConsNo benefits. You cannot teach more than 8 classes per academic year. It is hard to get summer classes. This can lead to 3 months without a paycheck. At step 5 the pay is about 950. per month per class, gross. Did I say not benefits and no chance to get them. 75% of faculty is adjunct, but the union cannot seem to get them to respond and organize. Their fault not the unions. It is supposed to be a second job, but many if not most adjunct are trying to survive on this.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your adjunct faculty ever wake up to their power, you have a big surprise coming.

Public Safety

Public Safety Officer (Former Employee)
    Salem, OR

ProsA lot of paid time off. Tuition for you and family members.

Consthe pay is so low that you can't afford to do anything on all your time off. Management is only involved unless you are making a mistake.

Woodburn Campus

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Woodburn, OR

ProsFriendly, easy-going environment with good entry opportunities for career growth.

ConsDisorganized with poor communication. I never know what I'm going to teach (or if I'm going to teach) from term-to-term.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with Instructors more clearly for setting up classes. Keep instructors within their field of study.

Adjuncts need partial benefits to survive.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsFacilities, quality of people are excellent. The training and support for faculty is excellent. The students are, for the most port wonderful and want to learn to better their lives.

ConsHard to get full-time work; no benefits for part -time workers. Also, hard to navigate the system if you're a part time.The hourly salary is better at Starbucks, by far, if you consider the time required to prepare an interesting syllabus, the time to prepare each lesson, correct papers, and correspond with students. . And, Starbucks offers benefits. So, here I go to Starbucks, and not because I want to.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can keep adjuncts forever if you give them a living wage and/or benefits.

Worked for Chemeketa Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chemeketa Community College reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Chemeketa Community College employees.