Chemonics International

www.chemonics.com
Profile Unclaimed

Mission driven organization, poor work/life balance.

I worked at Chemonics International

Pros

Mission driven organization full of smart people, interesting projects to work on.

Cons

There's an expectation that staff will come in early and stay late, every day, and that you will take on significant extra responsibility without additional compensation. Poor work/life balance as a result.

Take some time to learn the skills and interests of the people under you and make sure that you're fostering their potential, not just extracting their usable skills.

Productive and challenging

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has strong systems in place that facilitates the management of projects and the procuring of new business.

Cons

Its focus is more oriented to a generalist approach pushing to get technical expertise from outside.

Incorporate more talent mamanagement strategies

Amazing people, hard work, personally rewarding

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Chemonics are amazing - some of them are my close friends, and most of them are smart, talented, dedicated to development, and extremely hard-working. Everyone at Chemonics is there because of a commitment to development, and I think you can tell that as soon as you start talking to any of us. Chemonics has very clear, standardized systems for both proposal development and project management. These don't feel bureaucratic to me - they just provide clear guidance and help everyone understand how to do complicated and/or new tasks. Between these systems and the many excellent internal trainings, working at Chemonics is great preparation for doing pretty much any kind of proposal or project management work in development. The work is fast-paced and there are a lot of opportunities for lateral movements and to take on new/different work, as long as you're willing to work for and go after them. People respect each other on the basis of the quality of their work, not necessarily on the basis of seniority or hierarchy - which can be both good and bad.

Cons

The project management workload can be pretty intense, and the expectations for how much you'll take on aren't always reasonable. There's a fair amount of opportunity to move around and move up at the junior and mid-levels, but there's a ceiling at the senior manager level that's very difficult to break. That means that Chemonics is constantly losing some of its most valuable employees: the senior managers who have extensive experience with Chemonics systems and are eager to learn more and keep working hard, but won't stay at the company indefinitely without a promotion. The executive management can be a bit insular - the main qualification for an executive position tends to be tenure at Chemonics, regardless of actual experience in the development field. They're starting to pay more attention to the importance of strengthening the company's attention to technical/substantive issues, but they still prioritize project management and contractual compliance over allowing people to spend time enjoying the technical side of their projects.

During difficult times, remember that even if we need to downsize, there are some employees you really want to keep - let them know they're important, and do what you can to make sure you retain the best people.

great place to start your career in international development

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities in project management, proposal development short- and long-term field assignments for people at all levels. If you demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of project management and new business, you will have endless opportunities to take on challenging work. Smart, interesting colleagues with good intentions.

Cons

Workload can be overwhelming at times. The fact that Chemonics tries to do everything and be everywhere can be frustrating if you want to specialize in a specific technical area (since you will often be pulled in various directions). Senior management is mostly home-grown, they could use an injection of fresh perspective from someone who hasn't been with the company for as long and has worked at other organizations to see how they do business.

My biggest frustration is that we don't have a deep bench of technical experts. We have a few who are absolutely stellar (and some in the field, which is great) but it would be good if we could retain more in the home office.

Please hire and retain more technical experts, esp. in global health, food security, and agriculture.

Steep learning curve, but personally rewarding and amazing colleagues

Current Employee - Manager II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My colleagues are some of my best friends and the project/proposal work is rewarding, every day is enjoyable. I have grown as a project manager and proposal developer, and see a growth potential for myself still.

Cons

The hours CAN be long, but it varies from team to team and there is some flexibility to turn down new tasks when you are being given too much. Currently it is difficult to jump from Associate to Manager or from Manager to Director, but during times of growth for the company those opportunities come more quickly.

Be careful with change, the restructuring and backtracking on many of the changes made in the past year damaged the executive office's credibility. If lower level staff's opinions had been considered at the time, I don't think many of those changes would have happened.

Fair, you need to stand up for yourself there are a lot of people who will throw you under the bus for their own agenda

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you want to be in development it is a good stepping stone

Cons

Lots of opportunity you just need to create your own path and find the people who you can trust

Listen to all sides of the story from all employees and make decisions based on the entire truth. Do not make knee jerking assumptions

Hopefully Chemonics can get back to what it once was.

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Chemonics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Staff are generally young, creative, motivated, excited to dive in to development work
    -Collaborative environment
    -opportunity to travel and see the world.
    -Relationships with field staff are ones that I will not forget

Cons

Worked for Chemonics well over 5 years and what it was when I started is nothing like it is today...which is sad. I loved what is stood for, the impact it made and the work it did. Now its all about paying off the ESOP loan and standardizing everything to a point people cant think for themselves and can't come up with amazing proposals to save their life because its not on a work instruction.

Environment is so negative and people are annoyed with the executive team (especially SVPs) and it shows in their work and day to day interactions. People only focus on the negative and not acknowledge success or hard work.

People will throw you under the bus in a second to make themselves look good to their SVP because SVPs only care about those who make THEM look good, not the actual work or success of their region.

Some SVPs actively pick favorites and are rude to their employees. It is surprising that they don't want to create a collaborative work environment since Chemonics is designed that way.Feels very high school.

New crop of those employed are older and more qualified than the Entry Level program is designed for. They come in underpaid to start and get annoyed very quickly that people don't appreciate their talents right off the bat. They are inpatient to learn the Chemonics process and project management. This becomes frustrating for managers. This is a mix of a the attitude of 20 somethings in DC lately and Chemonics hiring over qualified people in entry level positions. In one instance my director was younger than me and my associate was my age but more of an education than myself or boss.

Chemonics downsized through attrition, but everyone refers to it as forced attrition. All of the senior talent in the manager and director levels left the company and were replaced with the less qualified people but the executive office was happy because they are cheaper and have less personal demands.

If you want to have cost savings in your company, start with your SVPs. Just because they have been there for 10 to 15 years doesn't mean they can lead a region.

Listen to your staff. The frustration is real and the working environment is unhealthy

Great place to start your career; a lot of opportunities to try new things

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chemonics is a great place if you're starting out in International Development because you can work at one company but have a ton of different jobs/job opportunities--project management, business development, field based work; you can easily move between geographic regions and departments, and from the home office to field office. There are a lot of resources and opportunities available to staff to help build capacity, and in fact Chemonics just created a new department to focus solely on building technical capacity of the company which will open up even more opportunities for staff.

Cons

It's extremely fast paced and the standards can be high; work/life balance is difficult to obtain; Senior management, while moving in the right direction under the new CEO, is still a little bit out of touch with staff. Promotions are extremely competitive, so a some people leave because they do not see opportunities for advancement.

Continue the new trend of engaging employees in decision making, and, overall, recognize that your biggest asset is your staff--protect their interests, build their capacity.

Opportunities for motivated people

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and hard working colleagues.

Cons

Competitive environment. Sometimes can seem cliquish and favoritism is prominent.

Great place to cut your teeth in international development contracting.

I worked at Chemonics International

Pros

Incredible professional development opportunities, extensive training, frequent international travel once established in company, ongoing investments in management systems.

Cons

Long hours, low compensation compared to private sector contracting/consulting, D.C. based work can be heavily administrative, management believes in ongoing change and innovation which is great but can be burdensome/challenging to implement.

Chemonics International Photos