Chemsearch Reviews

CEO

Found my career

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chemsearch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We provide solutions for our customers problems, not just another product. The products we offer are bar none the best performing on the market and time and time again are proven to save our customers money on down time, part replacements, and labor cost, saving them thousands.

I love the relationships we build with our customer and they look to us as experts to help them with their business.

The company is very progress with the use of technology and encourage everyone to use it. We have access to blogs, webinars, peer to peer chatting, and videos.

Training is excellent! We are invited to a number of informational meetings at our corporate office in Irving and are also encourage to use the technology at our finger tips (blogs, videos, peer to peer chatting).

The 401k options are great and the company contributes to my retirement too. The health benefits are good and it makes it easy to take care of my family with a number of options.

I have been able to grow within the company over the last 7 years. I started as a sales rep and today I'm a business development manager helping other achieve their goals and financial dreams.

My superiors are great and every interaction I have with them I feel like they are truely interested in my financial future and growth within the company. The support is great!

I would definitely encourage anyone to join this organization!!

Cons

There's aren't really any cons for me. You have to be self motivated with a hunter mentality to grow your own business and make as much money as you want. The company will provide you with training, knowledge, support, and the tools to get the job done but at the end of the day it's all up to you. There's no clock to punch and no one is there to make sure you get out of bed and work till the end of the day

Keep doing what your doing.... The company is growing and business is good!! Thanks for everything you do!

Terrible Experience

I worked at Chemsearch

Pros

The products are outstanding. Never had I experienced or anticipated the experience of a customer being disappointed with the performance of the products.

Cons

Your success path is truly dictated by the type of territory and manager that is assigned to you. For example some reps can make a significant amount of money as early as their first year, if they pick up a solid book of business. If you are assigned to what is described as a scratch territory, which is one with no to only a few accounts, your chance for success significantly drops. The reason for that is because Chemsearch forces their sales people to switch to full commission within 12 to 15 months, and they reduce your base salary along the way. Your commission percentage increases when they change your salary, but unless you are selling $15,000 or more per month it is very hard to make a living.

Regarding the management, there are some very dedicated people that work diligently to help their sales reps. Unfortunately you have a few other managers that couldn't lead a group of Boy Scouts on a two mile interpretive trail with a map and a compass. The running joke with those particular ones is that they are reading out of manual when they call you every week. A textbook example is the generic brownie point propaganda that is listed in the review from the manager in Houston ( FYI this is one of the managers that is far from satisfactory). The biggest frustration is that not only do you not receive proper assistance from the not-so-good managers, but these particular ones do not go to bat for you with upper management whatsoever.

Come clean in the interviewing process: save people and their families grief and disappointment by telling them in advance that they will not keep a salary for long.

Get with the 21st century and develop a marketing team that generates applicable data for new and existing sales reps to utilize in gaining market share. It's time to get away from the "look it up on Google" strategy.

Correlate training based upon the prominent industries in a given territory so that reps can be directed with the proper products, approaches and potential leads in their respective territory. Giving everyone the same products months at a time to learn is not always beneficial for each new rep.

For goodness sake stop slapping quotas on reps as a prerequisite for additional training....that is absolutely ridiculous and is of no need of discussing any further.

Please become more selective in the selection and placement of Business Development Managers. My manager provided ZERO assistance in a variety of areas including products. I had to learn about other products that could help me out in the field from new reps, yes new reps. My time spent on ride a longs and over the phone with my manager was an absolute waste.

Finally if someone is establishing a scratch territory use some common sense and pay them on a different scale for a longer time until they get established, and if you think it's easy living off of commission in 12 months in a scratch territory try it for yourself, or send one of your "Business Development Managers" into one and see how not so great that works out.

Instead of spending money on exotic vacations like a week long drunk fest in New Orleans for the managers, invest more in the people who are busting their tails to try to help the company and make a living for themselves and their families.... Shameful.

Job fine, people decent but pay & truthfulness very bad

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Chemsearch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work from home, flexibility, get to do some travel early on, they do "pat you on the back" often & want to make you feel good via their CRM & at meetings (they do this to compensate for their lack of pay)

Cons

micro managing from higher ups - the regional sales mgr was decent but his bosses were agonizingly horrific. they tell you great job & list you on their CRM but they lie about possible pay & also bonuses. I was told an "average" rep makes $55k the first year - not a chance - usually $35-40k TOPS. I also had a quarterly bonus pulled AFTER the quarter was over - that was the last straw for me. You don't change the rules after the earned bonus. Even if you do very VERY well (80% turnover within 24 months) it would take you 5 years to make even decent money.

I understand you can't tell the truth or you would never hire someone. "Hello prospect, you won't make much for 2-3 years - then you'll make OK money for 2-3 more years & then if you make it that far you will earn decent money from there on in." But if you had an exact plan to grow an area & worked with the rep as opposed to hammering obvious stupid points (I was told if I sold more I'd make more money. - gee, really?) Have a plan - work the plan & be as honest as you can. Also be truthful about how many NCH employees are already in the area. That happens a lot - other divisions are selling the SAME items (may be relabeled) and the rep looks stupid to prospects. BE UP FRONT & STOP LYING!!

Frustrating

I worked at Chemsearch full-time

Pros

Work from home, flexible schedule, build your own customer case

Cons

Chemsearch is only one division of a much larger company, NCH. There are usually reps from the other companies in your territory and your competing against each other.

Incredible products..... But the quantities your customers have to buy is crazy and they are expensive. Too many sales people in the same areas.

One of my favorite jobs

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Chemsearch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to pursue area of interest in products you wished to sell. Local manager was great guy and easy to work with and for. Things began to change in the company when they DFW folks threw all of the local management under the bus so to speak. I loved this job but the company started to make lots of changes and not in a good way. I would have probably stayed much longer but ended up relocating to Texas for personal reasons.

Cons

Inability to keep people. Micro management from people 2000 miles away that don't know the market or understand the people.

Headquarters in Dallas micro manages and it doesn't work

Good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, SC

I worked at Chemsearch

Pros

flex schedule, income potential. Good training for beginning sales reps good income. it is what you make of it. The harder you work the more money you make.

Cons

it is hard to make in the business. you must have tenacity and be persistant and never quit. the hours are long at first and reps are clumsy at first, it then gets easier.

it is important to make reps feel important at first reps are scared and need guidence. provide good classroom training and suppliment with field training.

good job for the right person.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Chemsearch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Training. Good products. Managers want you to succeed.

Cons

Revolving door. Others selling in my territory. High priced products- hard to compete. Long hours- selling, scouting, order entry, planning for the next day.

Keep sales within the territory, don't give accounts to neighboring reps.