Cherokee Nation

Interesting Place to Work

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician  in  Tahlequah, OK
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Tahlequah, OK

I worked at Cherokee Nation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome supervisor, awesome benefits, friendly people (as long as they're in your department)

Cons

Native preference undermines the free market of human capital, therefore many sub-par workers are employed.

The most important lesson I learned at Cherokee Nation is that management should focus on building a cohesive team. If there are interpersonal issues, the team is less likely to collaborate.

Customer Service

I worked at Cherokee Nation

Pros

Great bunch to work with, can be a very fun job, easy tasks, doesn't take a rocket scientist

Cons

Lots of walking, on your feet for 8 hours, lots of things you learn as you go, too many things not shared until you figured it out on your own or through other resources

Coaching will go a lot further, than vs write ups that don't mean squat to most of the employees. Easier to catch, and keep, flies with honey than vinegar...

At first it was good until they changes management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Sallisaw, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sallisaw, OK

I worked at Cherokee Nation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent benefits 401k guest

Cons

They don't care about there employees all they care about is the money you aren't appreciated even if you worked 24 hours a day you would never be thanked

Management is horrible they only care about money they treat you like crap they have no respect for there employees they only care about making themselves look good they don't know how to do the jobs on the floor but sure do know how to critique

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting and unique workplace with a cultural focus

Current Employee - Manager  in  Tahlequah, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The knowledge that I am helping the people in my tribe, there is always something interesting going on, one of the best employers in a very rural area where jobs can be scarce. Many types of professional and stepping stone opportunities available, especially in health care. Liberal vacation and other benefits, great 401K and opportunities for training and advancement.

Cons

None that I can think of.

You really need to be identifiably native american to get in the door.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tahlequah, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Though the pay rates are often under the median for the area, the health benefits are better than average. Office culture varies by the departmental unit. Training funds are usually in the budget. The native culture is alive in some departments but in some you may never know it's a tribe or a government. Many kind and compassionate people work there with a zeal for the services they offer the citizens under their programs. Look for many job openings coming up as many elders will be entering retirement.

Cons

Though training funds are often budgeted, it's near impossible to get training approved. Personal growth really depends on your manager and their willingness to work with you. Mangers have very little oversight of their actions so some take an autocratic approach to management. Some managers love to micro manage. Religiosity could stand to be scaled back.

I am not sure if a consultant could do good for the organization due to tribal cultural undertones which would be near impossible to change.

Welcoming environment that is fast paced and dealing with a broad range of technologies.

Current Employee - Multimedia Developer  in  Tahlequah, OK
    Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is an opportunity to give back to my Cherokee Community, and help improve our Nation.

Cons

There is not any i can come up with at the moment.

Cherokee Nation Photos

Entry way and digital welcome signs
Veterans memorial and outdoor space
Front hallway, with flags (Angel Tree is an employee initiative for kids in need)

+ Add Photo

Worked for Cherokee Nation? Contribute to the Community!