Cherry Bekaert

www.cbh.com

Cherry Bekaert Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated May 6, 2014
Cherry Bekaert – Brooklyn – “Conference room”

Cherry Bekaert – Brooklyn – “Conference room”

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies

Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same) (in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner (in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing! You are not a number, you are a person.

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsYour supervisors care about you and they teach you personally. It’s a firm were management treats personal development as an investment - they treat you well and they teach you well because they want you to stay. The Paid Time Off (PTO) policy is great - I have about 21 days off a per year. The firm is growing fast, so you have the opportunity to grow with them. At the end of the day, do you want to be at a big four and be nobody? Or do you want to be at a strong growing firm like Cherry Bekaert and have the potential to be something bigger than yourself?

ConsBusy season can have its long hours, but that is why you get paid well and have great benefits. The industry is like this, you will find long days everywhere else. During busy season they will cater food and have lots of events and happy hours to ease the stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you guys are doing, it’s working great. Continue to grow and get Cherry Beakert’s name out there.

Learned a lot, but not without significant sacrifice.

Audit Senior (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLike the title explains, I learned a lot here. I was part of a smaller firm acquired, and because of that, I worked on more jobs with more significant issues than I had prior that increased my knowledge substantially.

The pay is pretty decent considering you are not putting in the hours of a Big 4.

Because of Cherry Bekaert, I now work somewhere awesome ;).

ConsIf you have a family, do not expect to spend a lot of time with them. Do not even think to have kids. While there is a busy season with a policy of 55 required hours, be ready to work a lot more than that if you want to get promoted and you will also have these same 50+ hour weeks at multiple times of the year because they are short staffed and it is cheaper to work employees harder than to hire new staff.

Know that all Senior Management cares about is hours. When putting in said hours, make sure that you are seen by people because if you get these hours before people get to work early in the morning or when you get home late at night, people will assume that you are lazy because they physically do not see you on location.

Cherry Bekeart's "rapid growth" is from acquisition not because people want to work there. If you are at CB because you were acquired, just quit now because you will be labeled as "not as proficient" as those that are at the same level and already at CB.

Senior Management thinks that Cherry Bekaert is hot stuff, but ask anyone in accounting anywhere and they will say they've never heard of that firm. If you're doing public accounting for your resume, just suffer the two years at a Big 4 where at least you'll get name recognition.

Aside: Surely people reading these reviews know that many of the 5 star anonymous reviews are fake and from HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou probably shouldn't have spent millions in rebranding when you have an under appreciated work force. Treat your people better. While hours is important in the industry be a little warmer to employees instead of hammering down policies.

Good experience

Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat learning opportunities for interns.

ConsIt can be overwhelming at first, but everyone is really nice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Co-workers make workplace bearable

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsTalented partner group (Atlanta office)
    Complimentary drinks, snacks, meals, social gatherings
    Exposure to various clients and industries
    Co-workers and office environment

ConsWork-life balance (typical of industry)
    Not enough SEC clients
    Compensation is slightly below average
    IT technology seems to lag behind larger firms with better resources

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of the talent that you have at the firm, continue to gravitate towards bigger clients when possible.

Lots of potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLots of room for growth
    Good variety of experience in different industries.
    5-10% less hours than Big 4.
    Lead partners are talented and listen.

ConsBad firmwide communication with some bigger recent changes.
    Some growing pains and some outside hires still trying to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better. Most of us pefer to hear bigger news some other way than via the grapevine which may or may not be true.

Worked for Cherry Bekaert? Contribute to the Community!