Cherry Bekaert

www.cbh.com

Cherry Bekaert Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Cherry Bekaert – Brooklyn – “Conference room”

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies

Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same)(in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner(in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume(in 6 reviews)

Learned a lot, but not without significant sacrifice.

Audit Senior (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLike the title explains, I learned a lot here. I was part of a smaller firm acquired, and because of that, I worked on more jobs with more significant issues than I had prior that increased my knowledge substantially.

The pay is pretty decent considering you are not putting in the hours of a Big 4.

Because of Cherry Bekaert, I now work somewhere awesome ;).

ConsIf you have a family, do not expect to spend a lot of time with them. Do not even think to have kids. While there is a busy season with a policy of 55 required hours, be ready to work a lot more than that if you want to get promoted and you will also have these same 50+ hour weeks at multiple times of the year because they are short staffed and it is cheaper to work employees harder than to hire new staff.

Know that all Senior Management cares about is hours. When putting in said hours, make sure that you are seen by people because if you get these hours before people get to work early in the morning or when you get home late at night, people will assume that you are lazy because they physically do not see you on location.

Cherry Bekeart's "rapid growth" is from acquisition not because people want to work there. If you are at CB because you were acquired, just quit now because you will be labeled as "not as proficient" as those that are at the same level and already at CB.

Senior Management thinks that Cherry Bekaert is hot stuff, but ask anyone in accounting anywhere and they will say they've never heard of that firm. If you're doing public accounting for your resume, just suffer the two years at a Big 4 where at least you'll get name recognition.

Aside: Surely people reading these reviews know that many of the 5 star anonymous reviews are fake and from HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou probably shouldn't have spent millions in rebranding when you have an under appreciated work force. Treat your people better. While hours is important in the industry be a little warmer to employees instead of hammering down policies.

Awesome people, great firm

Senior Tax Accountant (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsKind, helpful, caring people. Lovely firm culture. Good mix of pro bono work, company events, work. Really enjoyed my time here

ConsHr was unorganized when I began, but seemed to improve as I was there. Could develop better orientation programs

Great Experience

Tax Intern (Former Employee) Coral Gables, FL

ProsThey really tried to show the interns the benefits of CB's work life balance. Intern project was a great experience. All the associates were great with helping us out with any issues that arose (assignments, general software issues).

ConsSummer was a really slow time to work. Not much going on, and didnt get to see what busy season is like, but that's what I signed up for. That is a really minor complaint, and its all I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe consider opening up the hiring window for Tax to something besides start dates every January? There is a lot of potential to lose good full-time candidates if you cant forecast that far out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sky's the limit

Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsVery friendly and welcoming environment. You are able to push yourself as hard and in any direction you want and you are actually rewarded for it! The partners listen to you and if you give 110% they trust you to do your thing. Good flexible working arrangements, family friendly culture. Good PTO.

ConsNeeds a little more structure in the training and on boarding. Comp is a little weak. Bonus program needs to be more on board with the industry standard. Managers should get offices. Nix the free sodas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people and you'll go from good to great.

Good experience

Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat learning opportunities for interns.

ConsIt can be overwhelming at first, but everyone is really nice.

Lack of good organization

Tax Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with some really nice people. Great firm sponsored social events. Compensation is competitive with other firms in the area.

ConsTax department is really weak and disorganized. Senior Managers could improve on their scheduling and communication skills. Sometimes it feels like everyone is out for themselves. Also, employees seem very cliquish at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more and make sure directions to employees are consistent to minimize confusion

Learned a lot, great place to begin a career.

ProsOpen door policy, Partners and senior managers are extremely approachable and not intimidating at all.

ConsFor amount of hours worked, salary could be a little more competitive.

mclean office - boring - blah - mediocre

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Prosgood admin work, free snacks, sodas, sometimes lunch, free parking

Consthere is no light switch if you stay pass 6 pm, you will be working in the dark unless some one is walking through the motion censor, human resource function is so so, mediocre managers not super smart, seniors are nice

Advice to Senior Managementopen your heart and expand your mind

Great place to intern

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsAudit seniors are helpful and willing to teach and train interns and staff, travel was reasonable and co-workers were generally easy to get along with

ConsSometimes it was difficult for staff and interns to professionally engage with the Partners, but the partners are nice and very approachable

Outstanding!

Accountant (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsEntrpreneurial environment and engaging clients. Not the meat-grinder my former Big 4 employer was. A nice place to work.

ConsNone. I had a blast!

Worked for Cherry Bekaert? Contribute to the Community!