Cherry Bekaert

www.cbh.com

Cherry Bekaert Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Cherry Bekaert – Brooklyn – “Conference room”

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies

Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same)(in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner(in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume(in 6 reviews)

Don't work here - pay your dues at Big 4 instead

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPTO policy is competetive. Lack of organization and accountability mean you can pretty much do whatever you want. Provided a steady paycheck while I searched for (and found) and amazing job that pays me 50% more than I was earning before at Cherry Bekaert.

ConsThe firm is devoid of leadership. Pay is well below market standard. Offices act as their own companies rather than part of a larger company (i.e. there is no unified message). Leadership committee is filled with chronyism and basically the same group of people year over year, so ideas are stale. The firm hasn't organically grown (see it's ranking in the Top 100 accounting firms year over year to see the slide from the teens to the 30's in terms of rankings). Bonuses are not standard and are in fact quite difficult to achieve (especially considering that certain evaluation metrics are beyond an employee's control).

There is no culture of accountability - as long as you are aligned with the right people and are generally 'a nice person', you are going to do fine here. There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume. The firm targets small to middle market companies who usually do not have the bankroll to pay for engagements where the firm makes any money. As a result of client targets, jobs are usually not very interesting since they tend to be more about rudimentary issues.

Bottom line is this: if you think you are going to learn a lot at Cherry Bekaert, you may, but not what you think. You will learn how not to run a business and you will learn the types of people you don't want to become partners with. Leadership doesn't have the stomach to cut non-performing partners, perpetuating a continual cycle of 'how do we move forward, let's try this' that never works because it's the same group of people throwing a new pile of garbage against the wall to see what sticks.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your leadership if you truly are interested in changing anything.

great place to start a career

Proslearning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance

Conscompensation a bit low for the amount of time and effort spent, inadequate bonuses

Very unorganized firm, managed poorly

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe number of hours required are fewer than Big 4. Working overtime hours outside of busy season was rare. In my office, most people didn't work weekends except the partners.

ConsPay is lower than the average for the public accounting industry. Promotion track is not clear. Because they've been expanding through acquisitions, every office doesn't something different and there is no centralized firm guidance. Because the pay is low, the employees tend to be less qualified than someone you'd find at BIg 4 or a national firm. Clients are mainly government, which are disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer higher pay to employees so you can recruit better talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood compensation, good manager, hours were consistent

ConsJob title was misleading, poor training

The firm is challenging

CPA (Current Employee)

ProsFirm is very pro growth; good opportunities to grow and specialize in a specific industry; people are friendly; provide you with a clear path to advance by letting you know what you need to do to move to the next level.

ConsFirm is in a transition where they are trying to move from a decentralized regional firm to a more national type of firm. its been a very difficult with what seems like a lot of trial and error.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible and independent work schedule

ConsNegative attitudes amoung many of the employees

Good Place to Start

Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsYou will gain a lot of experience, good co-workers, decent benefits, not too much travel if you don't want it.

ConsSalary not so great for the number of hours you are expected to work, especially during busy seasons. Can be a stressful environment.

Great place to grow your career!

ProsStrong client base and market presence
    Friendly and caring culture
    Opportunites to advance and grow
    Solid strategic vision and plan for the future
    Focus on growth

ConsOverall communication needs to improve

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure strong alignment of shared values amongst firm leadership

CBH is confused and is desperately searching for any identity.

Beware (Current Employee)

ProsFree soda and coffee
    PTO is okay
    Ability to work from home occasionally

ConsI really think that CBH is confused. I know the company is going through many changes, but it is extremely disorganized. There is a lot of disconnect within the firm because they have acquired so many other firms through mergers without thinking about each firm's culture and work environment. All the partners seem to care about is billable hours and bringing in ANY client, no matter what your level. It doesn't matter if you do a good job. It doesn't matter if you're a genius. That won't get you anywhere here. There is no incentive to work hard considering they don't even care how hard you work. Raises and "bonuses" are a joke and almost nonexistent. It's actually quite offensive. I truly feel that CBH will hire anyone considering that the turnover rate is quite high. Education and skills do not seem all that important when considering a new hire. Unfortunately, I can't recommend working for this firm to anyone who is considering applying. All in all, CBH has a lot to work on as one can clearly tell from reading the many reviews of the company on this website.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees fairly!!!, treat them well, and work on raising the morale in the offices.Then, people will be more motivated to bring in clients and work harder. I understand that the company is trying to grow, but it is headed in the wrong direction if you look at the turnover rate and reviews...

It'll do for now

ProsSome of the people here are smart and helpful.

ConsMany of the people here are demeaning, rude, or apathetic. Performance feedback is even more of a joke than the raises. Favoritism allows some to get away with murder. Training is centralized. Quality is defined by rushing through work and then making it look a certain way. The firm doesn't care about your own career development. If you just stay here long enough, you will eventually get promoted regardless of competence or lack thereof.

Worked for Cherry Bekaert? Contribute to the Community!