Cherry Bekaert

www.cbh.com

Cherry Bekaert Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Cherry Bekaert – Brooklyn – “Conference room”

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies

Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same)(in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner(in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume(in 6 reviews)

Great company and peopl

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsReally make you feel like they care about you. Much more so than big 4 accounting firms.

ConsNeed more accountability and transparency when it comes to promotion.

Staff

Staff (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company and people. Not as many hours as big 4.

ConsNot much exposure to public companies.

Best place to work

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Coral Gables, FL

ProsFlexible hours. Great partners. Friendly, professional environment.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change a thing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lousy Top Level Management

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsReasonably nice office space and free parking. Decent snacks and dress code policy. In addition, the leave and holiday policy were acceptable.

ConsThe leadership in developing a presence in the Washington area was weak. The pay was poor and they found excuses not to compensate performers. The hours were long and management showed no appreciation for the extra hours. There was little to no technical support and people left in droves. They have a diffucult time recruiting or developing talent. As a result, the staffing is inadequate and the pressure placed on those who stay in unbearable. They seem to continually try to do more with less to increase the bottom line. There is virtually no emphasis on quality control and the utilization and realization goals are unobtainable given the circumstances.

Horrible place to be

Litigation Support (Current Employee) Coral Gables, FL

ProsOffice location, and independence on projects

ConsThere is no formal training process, no one in the department gets along, you work crazy hours, it feels like high school b/c of the "mean girls" in the department, and favoritism is known. It is a very challenging place to work. The entire staff/assistants are looking for jobs elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into a change of management in your Coral Gables Litigation Support department. It's a hostile work environment where hazing is prevalent and encouraged by senior partners in the office.

Good company

Auditor (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsGood atmosphere, with plenty of great people to help you grow

ConsAlot of travel and alot of work to be completed in a short period of time.

Awesome Place!

ProsWorking with great people in ideal industies.

ConsNot the greatest benefits offered.

Don't work here - pay your dues at Big 4 instead

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPTO policy is competetive. Lack of organization and accountability mean you can pretty much do whatever you want. Provided a steady paycheck while I searched for (and found) and amazing job that pays me 50% more than I was earning before at Cherry Bekaert.

ConsThe firm is devoid of leadership. Pay is well below market standard. Offices act as their own companies rather than part of a larger company (i.e. there is no unified message). Leadership committee is filled with chronyism and basically the same group of people year over year, so ideas are stale. The firm hasn't organically grown (see it's ranking in the Top 100 accounting firms year over year to see the slide from the teens to the 30's in terms of rankings). Bonuses are not standard and are in fact quite difficult to achieve (especially considering that certain evaluation metrics are beyond an employee's control).

There is no culture of accountability - as long as you are aligned with the right people and are generally 'a nice person', you are going to do fine here. There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume. The firm targets small to middle market companies who usually do not have the bankroll to pay for engagements where the firm makes any money. As a result of client targets, jobs are usually not very interesting since they tend to be more about rudimentary issues.

Bottom line is this: if you think you are going to learn a lot at Cherry Bekaert, you may, but not what you think. You will learn how not to run a business and you will learn the types of people you don't want to become partners with. Leadership doesn't have the stomach to cut non-performing partners, perpetuating a continual cycle of 'how do we move forward, let's try this' that never works because it's the same group of people throwing a new pile of garbage against the wall to see what sticks.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your leadership if you truly are interested in changing anything.

Amazing! You are not a number, you are a person.

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsYour supervisors care about you and they teach you personally. It’s a firm were management treats personal development as an investment - they treat you well and they teach you well because they want you to stay. The Paid Time Off (PTO) policy is great - I have about 21 days off a per year. The firm is growing fast, so you have the opportunity to grow with them. At the end of the day, do you want to be at a big four and be nobody? Or do you want to be at a strong growing firm like Cherry Bekaert and have the potential to be something bigger than yourself?

ConsBusy season can have its long hours, but that is why you get paid well and have great benefits. The industry is like this, you will find long days everywhere else. During busy season they will cater food and have lots of events and happy hours to ease the stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you guys are doing, it’s working great. Continue to grow and get Cherry Beakert’s name out there.

Nice Place to Work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFlexibility, pto, very little pros

ConsLow pay, micromanagers, no training, partners who do not perform

Advice to Senior Managementpay market rate

Worked for Cherry Bekaert? Contribute to the Community!