Cherry Bekaert Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies
Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same) (in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner (in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People!

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are Cherry Bekaert are the best part of working there! Smart, friendly and young! Leadership understands people are at the core of business success.

Cons

Growing fast and therefore lots of change.

Continue treating your people well. Tie initiatives back to mission and vision more clearly.

Learned a lot, but not without significant sacrifice.

Former Employee - Audit Senior  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like the title explains, I learned a lot here. I was part of a smaller firm acquired, and because of that, I worked on more jobs with more significant issues than I had prior that increased my knowledge substantially.

The pay is pretty decent considering you are not putting in the hours of a Big 4.

Because of Cherry Bekaert, I now work somewhere awesome ;).

Cons

If you have a family, do not expect to spend a lot of time with them. Do not even think to have kids. While there is a busy season with a policy of 55 required hours, be ready to work a lot more than that if you want to get promoted and you will also have these same 50+ hour weeks at multiple times of the year because they are short staffed and it is cheaper to work employees harder than to hire new staff.

Know that all Senior Management cares about is hours. When putting in said hours, make sure that you are seen by people because if you get these hours before people get to work early in the morning or when you get home late at night, people will assume that you are lazy because they physically do not see you on location.

Cherry Bekeart's "rapid growth" is from acquisition not because people want to work there. If you are at CB because you were acquired, just quit now because you will be labeled as "not as proficient" as those that are at the same level and already at CB.

Senior Management thinks that Cherry Bekaert is hot stuff, but ask anyone in accounting anywhere and they will say they've never heard of that firm. If you're doing public accounting for your resume, just suffer the two years at a Big 4 where at least you'll get name recognition.

Aside: Surely people reading these reviews know that many of the 5 star anonymous reviews are fake and from HR.

You probably shouldn't have spent millions in rebranding when you have an under appreciated work force. Treat your people better. While hours is important in the industry be a little warmer to employees instead of hammering down policies.

Awesome people, great firm

Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kind, helpful, caring people. Lovely firm culture. Good mix of pro bono work, company events, work. Really enjoyed my time here

Cons

Hr was unorganized when I began, but seemed to improve as I was there. Could develop better orientation programs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience

Former Employee - Tax Intern  in  Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at Cherry Bekaert as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They really tried to show the interns the benefits of CB's work life balance. Intern project was a great experience. All the associates were great with helping us out with any issues that arose (assignments, general software issues).

Cons

Summer was a really slow time to work. Not much going on, and didnt get to see what busy season is like, but that's what I signed up for. That is a really minor complaint, and its all I can think of.

Maybe consider opening up the hiring window for Tax to something besides start dates every January? There is a lot of potential to lose good full-time candidates if you cant forecast that far out.

Sky's the limit

Current Employee - Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly and welcoming environment. You are able to push yourself as hard and in any direction you want and you are actually rewarded for it! The partners listen to you and if you give 110% they trust you to do your thing. Good flexible working arrangements, family friendly culture. Good PTO.

Cons

Needs a little more structure in the training and on boarding. Comp is a little weak. Bonus program needs to be more on board with the industry standard. Managers should get offices. Nix the free sodas.

Take care of your people and you'll go from good to great.

Good experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cherry Bekaert part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunities for interns.

Cons

It can be overwhelming at first, but everyone is really nice.

Lack of good organization

Former Employee - Tax Associate
    Former Employee - Tax Associate

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time

Pros

I worked with some really nice people. Great firm sponsored social events. Compensation is competitive with other firms in the area.

Cons

Tax department is really weak and disorganized. Senior Managers could improve on their scheduling and communication skills. Sometimes it feels like everyone is out for themselves. Also, employees seem very cliquish at times.

Communicate more and make sure directions to employees are consistent to minimize confusion

Learned a lot, great place to begin a career.

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Open door policy, Partners and senior managers are extremely approachable and not intimidating at all.

Cons

For amount of hours worked, salary could be a little more competitive.

mclean office - boring - blah - mediocre

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good admin work, free snacks, sodas, sometimes lunch, free parking

Cons

there is no light switch if you stay pass 6 pm, you will be working in the dark unless some one is walking through the motion censor, human resource function is so so, mediocre managers not super smart, seniors are nice

open your heart and expand your mind

Great place to intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Cherry Bekaert as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Audit seniors are helpful and willing to teach and train interns and staff, travel was reasonable and co-workers were generally easy to get along with

Cons

Sometimes it was difficult for staff and interns to professionally engage with the Partners, but the partners are nice and very approachable

Worked for Cherry Bekaert? Contribute to the Community!