Cherry Bekaert Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies
Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same) (in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner (in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

CBH

Current Employee - CBH  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - CBH in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Fair amount of work life balance.

Cons

Limited career progression in smaller office

Increase pay compared to other firms.

Lots of potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Lots of room for growth
    Good variety of experience in different industries.
    5-10% less hours than Big 4.
    Lead partners are talented and listen.

Cons

Bad firmwide communication with some bigger recent changes.
    Some growing pains and some outside hires still trying to fit in.

Communicate better. Most of us pefer to hear bigger news some other way than via the grapevine which may or may not be true.

review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

People are great. nice facilities

Cons

direction not clear on where things are going

concentrate on internal growth. most merger's have been failures. re-evaluate your due-diligence process

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here, do not become a client!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Free snacks, soda and coffee and free parking!

Cons

They treat their employees unfairly and there is no rewards or incentives for doing a great job and working hard! They spend more money on stupid crap then giving employees raises. The amount of expenses these partners expense to the company each year is double my salary and that's just one person. They will spend more money on insignificant things that mean nothing but it takes an employee two years with great reviews and hard work to get a raise. It was an amazing 10 cents. Yes, 10 cents!!!! No bonuses for anyone except for "professional staff". Aren't we all professional staff? Admin and marketing work harder than most and they get nothing! No team work except in the admin department and most will throw you under the bus or push the blame off to someone else in a minute if a mistake is made.

Appreciate the employees they have left. Their dropping like flies. Hello, has anyone noticed????

CBH is falling apart :(

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

There are free soda and snacks
    Happy hours with staff
    If there is a partner or senior manager that likes you, there is the opportunity to learn and grow with the firm

Cons

CBH used to be a wonderful firm to work for. However, about 2 years ago, it started to fall apart. The overall firm has this "Grow or Die" attitude, which is fine, but it should be "grow with the right fit" rather than "grow with whoever is willing to merge with us." The company has merged with firms that have entirely different cultures and service entirely different industries. The firm used to distinguish itself from the Big 4. Now, the partners keeping on telling us how we need to be more like the Big 4.

The office morale is just terrible. I feel bad during college recruiting when we have to pretend how great of a place it is to work.

Have more focus on making your employees happy rather than simply growing and obtaining clients with large fees. Distinguish yourself from the Big 4; stop trying to be like them.

Told of Glassdoor by colleague - CBH Raleigh - A poor place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

The people at Cherry, Bekaert & Holland are very friendly. The new office is very nice and the parking is free. They try to have "events" to help failing morale, however, it really is a waste of our time.

Cons

As my co-worker stated, CBH in Raleigh really isn't a place that you would recommend to anybody to work, unless you don't value your career and just want a paycheck. There have been many bad decisions over the past few months and we are all beginning to feel the strain. The environment here is pretty toxic. The office is strewn with nepotism, the only people able to fit in are the ones who have some sort of outside relationship with another member of the staff in one way or another. I concur with the "Clickish" environment. The only people truly accepted here are the ones who either are blood relatives of staff members, or have some other sort of connection. The people who are "in" are allowed to get away with anything they want, while the others are not as fortunate.

Many of my co-workers are already considering greener pastures and as soon as this economy picks up, this place will be a ghost town. To be honest, I think that CBH could care less, however, as they seem to go through employees (especially newer ones) like they go through trash bags.

I've spoken to many of the staff in other offices and they tend to feel the same way about CBH, especially this office. I regret signing here, and as soon as I secure another job, I will gladly walk away from here. It's too bad, I thought this was going to be a great place to work.

You need to value ALL employees the same, not play favorites. I thought this was supposed to be a professional environment ?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

They are pretty flexible regarding time off and the people a generally nice.

Cons

The management team is somewhat myopic and has little understanding of the staff.

Take a look at how other firms run their business and take note.

Terrible Company to work for !!! - They don't care about employees.... unless you are an equity parter..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Friendly People
    Always plenty of Soda, Candy and foods to eat
    Offices are in nice locations

Cons

Horrific Office Morale
    Cliquish Environment
    Senior Managers do not listen.
    No Checks and Balances on Business Office Manager
    Have frequently laid off new employees to make budget
    Company has gone downhill rapidly for the last few years.

You are failing. Your mergers are failing, your strategies are failing. Your employees are suffering. How could you have let this happen ?

Stay away! You won't be happy here!

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Support in completing the CPA exam
    Decent amount of paid time off
    For the most part, the people are really nice, and pleasant to work with.
    Plenty of opportunity to earn CPE credits.
    Firm-wide training events.

Cons

With a few exceptions, senior level and above don't really care about the professional development of staff; people tend to only be concerned about their own development.
    Salary tends to be on the low side compared to other firms in the area.
    The firm is unclear about the direction of the company.
    Management doesn't care about job satisfaction, they are just concerned about the number of billable hours and how much money you are making to support the partner salaries and luxury items in the office.
    Overall CBH is a good firm, but I wouldn't recommend working at the Tampa office.
    Inequality in salaries among people at the same level.
    Inequality in work loads.
    Low morale among the majority of workers.
    Unorganized HR department.

There are more important measures of job performance than number of billable hours.

Decent, not great

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

People are generally nice and client travel is local since it is a regional firm. Generally no more than an hour to a client, usually significantly less

Cons

Salary is not near big 4 firms - but that is to be expected; go to a big 4 firm unless you want a little less travel and probably a little less stress; but you're still working alot of hours, and when you consider that with your salary, you really aren't getting paid that much; some ideas on how to run things in the firm don't always make sense.

Raise salaries to be more competitive for top talent from better schools

Worked for Cherry Bekaert? Contribute to the Community!