Cherry Bekaert

www.cbh.com

Cherry Bekaert Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Cherry Bekaert – Brooklyn – “Conference room”

Cherry Bekaert – Brooklyn – “Conference room”

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies

Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same) (in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner (in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLots of room for growth
    Good variety of experience in different industries.
    5-10% less hours than Big 4.
    Lead partners are talented and listen.

ConsBad firmwide communication with some bigger recent changes.
    Some growing pains and some outside hires still trying to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better. Most of us pefer to hear bigger news some other way than via the grapevine which may or may not be true.

review

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsPeople are great. nice facilities

Consdirection not clear on where things are going

Advice to Senior Managementconcentrate on internal growth. most merger's have been failures. re-evaluate your due-diligence process

Don't work here, do not become a client!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsFree snacks, soda and coffee and free parking!

ConsThey treat their employees unfairly and there is no rewards or incentives for doing a great job and working hard! They spend more money on stupid crap then giving employees raises. The amount of expenses these partners expense to the company each year is double my salary and that's just one person. They will spend more money on insignificant things that mean nothing but it takes an employee two years with great reviews and hard work to get a raise. It was an amazing 10 cents. Yes, 10 cents!!!! No bonuses for anyone except for "professional staff". Aren't we all professional staff? Admin and marketing work harder than most and they get nothing! No team work except in the admin department and most will throw you under the bus or push the blame off to someone else in a minute if a mistake is made.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the employees they have left. Their dropping like flies. Hello, has anyone noticed????

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CBH is falling apart :(

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThere are free soda and snacks
    Happy hours with staff
    If there is a partner or senior manager that likes you, there is the opportunity to learn and grow with the firm

ConsCBH used to be a wonderful firm to work for. However, about 2 years ago, it started to fall apart. The overall firm has this "Grow or Die" attitude, which is fine, but it should be "grow with the right fit" rather than "grow with whoever is willing to merge with us." The company has merged with firms that have entirely different cultures and service entirely different industries. The firm used to distinguish itself from the Big 4. Now, the partners keeping on telling us how we need to be more like the Big 4.

The office morale is just terrible. I feel bad during college recruiting when we have to pretend how great of a place it is to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more focus on making your employees happy rather than simply growing and obtaining clients with large fees. Distinguish yourself from the Big 4; stop trying to be like them.

Told of Glassdoor by colleague - CBH Raleigh - A poor place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe people at Cherry, Bekaert & Holland are very friendly. The new office is very nice and the parking is free. They try to have "events" to help failing morale, however, it really is a waste of our time.

ConsAs my co-worker stated, CBH in Raleigh really isn't a place that you would recommend to anybody to work, unless you don't value your career and just want a paycheck. There have been many bad decisions over the past few months and we are all beginning to feel the strain. The environment here is pretty toxic. The office is strewn with nepotism, the only people able to fit in are the ones who have some sort of outside relationship with another member of the staff in one way or another. I concur with the "Clickish" environment. The only people truly accepted here are the ones who either are blood relatives of staff members, or have some other sort of connection. The people who are "in" are allowed to get away with anything they want, while the others are not as fortunate.

Many of my co-workers are already considering greener pastures and as soon as this economy picks up, this place will be a ghost town. To be honest, I think that CBH could care less, however, as they seem to go through employees (especially newer ones) like they go through trash bags.

I've spoken to many of the staff in other offices and they tend to feel the same way about CBH, especially this office. I regret signing here, and as soon as I secure another job, I will gladly walk away from here. It's too bad, I thought this was going to be a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to value ALL employees the same, not play favorites. I thought this was supposed to be a professional environment ?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThey are pretty flexible regarding time off and the people a generally nice.

ConsThe management team is somewhat myopic and has little understanding of the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at how other firms run their business and take note.

Terrible Company to work for !!! - They don't care about employees.... unless you are an equity parter..

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsFriendly People
    Always plenty of Soda, Candy and foods to eat
    Offices are in nice locations

ConsHorrific Office Morale
    Cliquish Environment
    Senior Managers do not listen.
    No Checks and Balances on Business Office Manager
    Have frequently laid off new employees to make budget
    Company has gone downhill rapidly for the last few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are failing. Your mergers are failing, your strategies are failing. Your employees are suffering. How could you have let this happen ?

Stay away! You won't be happy here!

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsSupport in completing the CPA exam
    Decent amount of paid time off
    For the most part, the people are really nice, and pleasant to work with.
    Plenty of opportunity to earn CPE credits.
    Firm-wide training events.

ConsWith a few exceptions, senior level and above don't really care about the professional development of staff; people tend to only be concerned about their own development.
    Salary tends to be on the low side compared to other firms in the area.
    The firm is unclear about the direction of the company.
    Management doesn't care about job satisfaction, they are just concerned about the number of billable hours and how much money you are making to support the partner salaries and luxury items in the office.
    Overall CBH is a good firm, but I wouldn't recommend working at the Tampa office.
    Inequality in salaries among people at the same level.
    Inequality in work loads.
    Low morale among the majority of workers.
    Unorganized HR department.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are more important measures of job performance than number of billable hours.

Decent, not great

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are generally nice and client travel is local since it is a regional firm. Generally no more than an hour to a client, usually significantly less

ConsSalary is not near big 4 firms - but that is to be expected; go to a big 4 firm unless you want a little less travel and probably a little less stress; but you're still working alot of hours, and when you consider that with your salary, you really aren't getting paid that much; some ideas on how to run things in the firm don't always make sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries to be more competitive for top talent from better schools

This is not exactly the kind of review CB&H would want.

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsAs a recent college graduate, I was happy with the compensation package. My salary seemed to be right in line with what my classmates were getting from other firms (of course, Big 4 firms were paying more). Although some of my co-workers were not thrilled with the insurance coverage we had, I thought it was pretty good. I had to pay around $110/month for my "regular" insurance, and I also had dental and vision coverage.

I also believe that the company has a bright future. I was impressed with some of their short-term and long-term plans, and I was looking forward to starting my career in accounting there.

Finally, there were several co-workers who were tremendously helpful to me, and I am thankful to them for everything they did to assist me with my job.

ConsSince I used the past tense during the "best reasons" section, you may very well be able to guess what happened. I was fired/let go/tossed three and a half months after I started. At this point, while I am tempted to go into the gory details of that event, I'll leave it at this: three staff accountants started in January. On April 30th - the last day of their fiscal year - two of those accountants were let go. I could say much more, but I'll leave it at that for fear of sounding like I've been eating sour grapes every day since my dismissal.

I was promised an "interim" evaluation after the March 15th deadline. I did not receive one. My regular evaluation was scheduled for May 13th. I (obviously) did not get that one either. During tax season, it's understandably difficult for managers/seniors to keep up with review notes, so I can say without much doubt in my mind that I truly had little to no idea where I stood in terms of my job performance. Time budgets were constantly stressed to me; once, I was talking to a manager about a budget I was struggling to meet. I told her I'd try to stay within the budget. She looked at me and said, "Well, you kind of have to."

I completely understand that this is the nature of public accounting; deadlines are followed by more deadlines, and if the return was done in eight hours last year, this year you'll get seven to do it. I am aware of this. However, there is a way to handle these pressures in a manner which does not leave employees twisting in the wind.

There was no communication regarding hours to be worked during busy season. We three staff accountants had no one else to turn to, so we asked each other what the best number would be. 60? 65? 70? Our workloads were steady but reasonable until the last three or four weeks of tax season, but even when we were keeping up with our work, it seemed as if we were being frowned upon for whatever number of hours we chose. In the end, we were between 70 and 75. The seniors were working more (we didn't have enough of them), but we could keep our desks pretty clean at that level.

In the end, I have this to say: this is the first review of CBH on glassdoor.com, and I do not wish for my words to be taken as the gospel. Perhaps other CBH offices are different...I'm sure they are, since no office has the exact same set of personalities. All I can tell you is what happened to me. Eight days after I was let go, I accepted a job with a small single office firm. In the two months I've been there, I've learned a great deal. My co-workers are helpful. I enjoy working with them, and I finally feel like I'm starting to "get over" what happened at CBH.

Advice to Senior ManagementI (and other CBH employees) had the feeling that staff accountants were interchangeable parts, and that seniors/managers could be lured away from other firms instead of promoting from within. While I can certainly see the short-term benefits of this policy, I do not think it bodes well in the long run. All I ever wanted from CBH was a chance. I do not consider three months, no reviews, and a firing "a chance."

Oh, and one more thing. When my new firm received a request to bid on an audit and I got to re-write the proposal, I knew we were competing against four other firms, and I knew one of them was CBH. Well, we got it. That probably has nothing to do with me; I'd imagine it was probably because our bid was lower. But I don't care. In the only way I could, I got to give my new firm - the one that is truly giving me a chance in this industry - a new client. And you - who never gave me that chance - lost one.

Worked for Cherry Bekaert? Contribute to the Community!