Cherry Bekaert

Updated November 30, 2014
3.1

Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies
Howard J. Kies

Pros
  • PTO in line with big 4 (except they lump sick days in with PTO so not quite the same) (in 8 reviews)

• learning experiences, wide variety of clients, great partner base, knowledgeable professionals, respect of work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner (in 8 reviews)

• There is no prestige working here - you are better off paying your dues at Big 4 and at least getting name brand recognition on your resume (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissapointed with how things turned out!

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Vacation time is adequate
    Met some good people that were very good at their job at my peer level

Cons

The Tyson's Corner office has fallen apart. In the audit department there are less than 5 people left from last busy season below partner. In the tax department there were approxamately 20 people at the end of last busy season and there is 1 person left. There has been a compelte inability to recruit any talent after the departures. The problems that have contributed to the fall-out was largely due to management which has not changed at all. The same decision makers are in place. As a result, it is highly unlikely that things will change in the future. The fact is that the firm as a whole doesn't have an understanding of the Northern Virginia market and lacks the leadership to step in and make sure that the right people/leaders are in place to do the right thing. There was a great group of highly productive energetic people that worked there and now they are all gone.

Partners need to listed to the managers and seniors when they provide feedback. Generally, they will have a good idea of what is going on in the office and ways to improve morale. Don't wait to address important issues. Reward high performers.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

I really like a lot of people I work with, both in my office and with people in other offices. Most people are really nice.

Most people really care about doing a good job for the clients.

PTO is pretty good, especially compared to my friends.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work long hours around deadlines, but that is part of the industry.

Good networking opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Competent staff and senior level employees

Cons

Management fails to achieve certifications that are demanded of staff.

An Audit Firm - You Know What You Are Getting Into

Former Employee - Auditor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Auditor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

There is a great variety of clients in this office. SEC, Public, Private, Government, NFP, Retirement Plan Audits, etc. The bread and butter of the office is its governmental clientele.

Cons

As with all public accounting firms, you will owe you waking hours to the company. CBH is wonderful compared to other audit firm hourly requirements, however the work life balance is still skewed toward more work and less life. Also you will be traveling to the middle of nowhere on a regular basis.

Keep making that money. As far as external audit forms go Cherry is better than most. Keep the free sodas coming and pay for more lunches.

Great Co-workers make workplace bearable

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Talented partner group (Atlanta office)
    Complimentary drinks, snacks, meals, social gatherings
    Exposure to various clients and industries
    Co-workers and office environment

Cons

Work-life balance (typical of industry)
    Not enough SEC clients
    Compensation is slightly below average
    IT technology seems to lag behind larger firms with better resources

Don't lose sight of the talent that you have at the firm, continue to gravitate towards bigger clients when possible.

CBH

Current Employee - CBH in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - CBH in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Fair amount of work life balance.

Cons

Limited career progression in smaller office

Increase pay compared to other firms.

Lots of potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Lots of room for growth
    Good variety of experience in different industries.
    5-10% less hours than Big 4.
    Lead partners are talented and listen.

Cons

Bad firmwide communication with some bigger recent changes.
    Some growing pains and some outside hires still trying to fit in.

Communicate better. Most of us pefer to hear bigger news some other way than via the grapevine which may or may not be true.

review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

People are great. nice facilities

Cons

direction not clear on where things are going

concentrate on internal growth. most merger's have been failures. re-evaluate your due-diligence process

Don't work here, do not become a client!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Free snacks, soda and coffee and free parking!

Cons

They treat their employees unfairly and there is no rewards or incentives for doing a great job and working hard! They spend more money on stupid crap then giving employees raises. The amount of expenses these partners expense to the company each year is double my salary and that's just one person. They will spend more money on insignificant things that mean nothing but it takes an employee two years with great reviews and hard work to get a raise. It was an amazing 10 cents. Yes, 10 cents!!!! No bonuses for anyone except for "professional staff". Aren't we all professional staff? Admin and marketing work harder than most and they get nothing! No team work except in the admin department and most will throw you under the bus or push the blame off to someone else in a minute if a mistake is made.

Appreciate the employees they have left. Their dropping like flies. Hello, has anyone noticed????

CBH is falling apart :(

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

There are free soda and snacks
    Happy hours with staff
    If there is a partner or senior manager that likes you, there is the opportunity to learn and grow with the firm

Cons

CBH used to be a wonderful firm to work for. However, about 2 years ago, it started to fall apart. The overall firm has this "Grow or Die" attitude, which is fine, but it should be "grow with the right fit" rather than "grow with whoever is willing to merge with us." The company has merged with firms that have entirely different cultures and service entirely different industries. The firm used to distinguish itself from the Big 4. Now, the partners keeping on telling us how we need to be more like the Big 4.

The office morale is just terrible. I feel bad during college recruiting when we have to pretend how great of a place it is to work.

Have more focus on making your employees happy rather than simply growing and obtaining clients with large fees. Distinguish yourself from the Big 4; stop trying to be like them.

Cherry Bekaert Photos