Chesapeake Bay Candle

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
1.7

Mei Xu

From the outside looking in

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle

Pros

I have been on assignment from a temp agency for a little over a month... The pay is good and the people are nice.. Looking to get hired full time and I think it might work out. I have worked at another VERY large distributor very close who pays way less works way more hours and doesn't really care about the temps being brought in. At least here if you can work hard you shine and they want to treat you ok to keep you

Cons

Not on a steady bus line and right now working 6 days to get through busy season. Some managers have a difficult time communicating but where they lack others help you understand

Treat the employees right and they will work hard

Going downhill fast

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None company is much worse since different managers came

Cons

Three new managers sent here and don't speak English and don't know nothing. Since they came the quality of candles is very bad and they hiding all the problems from people in Rockville. They go for two hour lunches every day and don't seem to care about anything but getting candles made and no quality

Moral is very bad and people are quitting almost daily.

New air conditioner put in but plant manager will not turn it on because he is to cheap.

Wake up and come to plant often. Don't believe anything CBC managers saying because they are lying. Send them back before they destroy CBC

A Joke

Current Employee - Pack Out in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Pack Out in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are none that I know of.

Cons

Management does not give a crap about the employees, only production. They work you like a dog six days a week and give you no slack. If you want time off they tell you no they are short handed but you can quit and reapply. If you are Oriental you can do as you please with no repercussions. You can walk off the job because you are mad and come back the next day. They only do the jobs they want and not the ones they are asked to do. There is only one white person in any supervisory capicity. The company policy states if they are closed for inclement weather we are to get paid but when they close for snow we do not get paid. They tell us we were closed due to the cold weather and cannot prodcue. Bull. When it was sub zero with no heat in the building we were working and producing. When it was over 100 with no fans or air conditionng, we were producing. They close the plant all the time on scheduled days because of equipment failure or no wax and we do not get paid. They have you come in for 20 minutes, send you home and we do not get paid. They can change youar schedule as they wish but you cannot ask to have your schedule changed. They said any openngs would be posted but they are no. When a position becomes open, they go to the people who have been there the least amount of time and ask them if they want it or hire more people from the outside. example: Just had 2 positions open for quality control and both were filled from the outside with people who had no idea what the job was about instead of someone within who deals with candles every day. God forbid you have a family emergency and need to change your schedule for a few days. You are not asking for time off, just a change. Of course the answer is NO. Take vacation or quit. Some people have been there over a year with no review or raise. And don"t be out sick and have a doctors note because you will still get fired. The supervisors have no backbone when it comes to decipline. People stand aroud with their arrms foldeddoing nothing when we are swamped and nothing is said to them. Others talk all through their shift and pay no attention to what they are suppose to do and nothing is said. We spend more time fixixng ba candles than producing quality candles because the people mixing, doingn wicks and doing lables cannot do their job right. There are different rules for each candle and most of the time we ship poor quaility just to get the numbers and then spend more time fixing them when they come back than we would have to do them right the first time. It is not uncommon to have wrong lables on candles and then have to unpack them, remove wrong lables and put the right ones on by hand. Not just a few, but thousands. We are seldom informed of any thing going on in the company that effects us and when we do have a meeting we can ask questions but if they don't like the questions you are cut off and told to move on. My advice to anyone wanting to work there. DON'T.

Get human and realize your employees are people not machines and have a life outside CBC. When they talk, LISTEN. If you want to keep turnover down, give people a reason to stay. Follow your rules you have posted or post new ones. Give reviews when due and raises would be nice. Understand people do have times they need to be off or change their schedule. Accomidate them rather than loose them. You loose all your GOOD employees because you won;t give an inch to anyone who is not Oriental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run! Run! Run!

Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to start off when looking for entry level positions.

Cons

EXTREMELY unprofessional, Poor work/life balance, insensitive, very shady- Once I did not get paid because they forgot to put my name in to payroll and said that I would have to wait until the next pay period to get paid- No apologies whatsoever. You will be required to work seven days a week at times. Their new factory in Glen Burnie is extremely unorganized and they have no regard for their employees. You cannot even call out sick (even with a doctor's note) without getting penalized using their point system. The pay is a joke.

If you want the company to succeed- Treat your employees with respect and have some integrity.

Extremely Disappointing and Unprofessional place to work..

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time

Pros

The only good part is experience of learning from vendor side

Cons

Everything- the management is the worst ever seen or heard before. Mid-managers have been with this company forever and very oblivious to outside world and new ideas. They use and throw employees based on needs. No vision for company growth, or employee growth..it's surprising that company of this nature still exists.

Entire management needs some training on how to run the company (if they want it to survive)

Lots of opportunity to grow, learn, and to have fun.

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time

Pros

I have been at Chesapeake Bay Candle for several years, and from the very beginning this company has allowed me to learn and grow on a personal and professional level. This company really is an awesome place to work if you are looking for a job allowing you take ownership, if you want to have an impact, and if you like to surround yourself with smart, creative people. In fact, one of the best things about Chesapeake Bay Candle are the people that work here. People here are committed, hard-working, and smart... and they also like to have fun! Chesapeake Bay Candle offers a lot of opportunity if you enjoy working in a small, privately-owned business, and if you thrive in a multicultural, creative setting.

Cons

This company is not for everyone. It is a demanding environment with an entrepreneurial culture. It may not be the best fit for somebody looking for a very structured setting or the average 9-5 job.

Take Away Benefits, Increase Workload, Hire Incompetent Executives

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle

Pros

Nice to work in the Fragrance Industry

Cons

No Guidance
    No proper training
    No procedures for anything
    No respect for your job growth interests
    Not allowed to take days off in the Summer
    Not good at communicating
    Factories are incompetent
    Upper management is clueless

Stop throwing additional tasks at people and HIRE NEW PEOPLE
    No one wants to put in 45+ hours a week to a company that is insensitive and greedy
    Give raises PLEASE!
    We work hard with no rewards, give some.
    Stop taking away the stuff we enjoy, just to throw more CRAPPY, not-resume-worthy work at us.

Your turnover will increase until all this changes.

FYI: EVERYONE WHO WORKS HERE IS TRYING TO LEAVE THE COMPANY

They network in the elevators, in the mall, on LinkedIn, etc...., praying for a way out of this hell.

It's great. Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle

Pros

Great pay, great benefits. Always open for suggestions and has an open door policy for questions and recommendations. I can't complain!

Cons

Working at Chesapeake Bay Candle is rewarding. It can be stressful at times but what job is not? I recommend working here

I would say to expand out and keep growing. The company could use more IT people but the ones we have are good.

do not work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Chesapeake Bay Candle

Pros

If you can appease upper management (ultimately, "sip the cool-aid"), you have the possibility of going far within the company.

Cons

Overall, the company is horridly unprofessional, with no respect for personal needs or career growth. Upper management does not know what they are doing, particularly in terms of re-structuring, retaining valuable employees, and appreciating skills and talents.
    Control is a huge issue at this company. Upper management seeks to control every action made by employees. Even salaried employees with no overtime where forced to clock in and out, with no reason 'why' given. Absolutely no flexibility was given for doctor's appointments or family emergencies. Working long hours is expected of everyone, regardless of being a mother to young children.
    Often, I questioned the ethics of the decisions being made, but the company has an attitude of "we can mandate whatever we want, whenever we want."

Learn to respect employee's needs, talents, and career paths. Do not play God with their lives, we are not your puppets. Do not have temper tantrums if the weather is bad and people are a few minutes late. You cannot control everything.

A horrifying place to work.

Former Employee - Designer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Designer in Rockville, MD

I worked at Chesapeake Bay Candle

Pros

It's a great place to build your resume. If you are a young designer looking to start out their career they will likely hire you. You will quickly have many different responsibilities to add to your resume. If you can manage to stay for any amount of time you will quickly have more tasks assigned to you. These tasks are often degrading and demeaning but can be spun on your resume to look like something better than what it actually was. Also, if you manage to stay for over a few months and management likes you they might send you on a trip to New York.

Cons

They treat their employees with no respect. They act like they own your life and are entitled to all your time. If you are not willing to work all hours of the day and night you will be terminated. Management is arrogant and overloads their employees with too much work while sitting back and doing nothing. Very shady and immoral business practices. As a designer I was regularly told to steal designs from competitors. They also have shady financial practices and often give employees a hard time about pay or benefits. They also don't pay their contractors in a timely manner and are hiding transactions from the government for tax purposes.

You need to weed out all the managers in the company who are abusing their power.