Chesapeake Energy

www.chk.com

Chesapeake Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Chesapeake Energy President, Chief Executive Officer and Director Robert D. Lawler

Robert D. Lawler

Pros
  • Employees enjoy a full service fitness center with individual machines and group workouts(in 17 reviews)

• Lots of great benefits if you work at headquarters(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Even though there are a lot of "perks" to working there (food, fitness center, parties, etc(in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, at least in my department(in 4 reviews)

Good company, but not great.

IT Coordinator (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsBenefits and work environment are good.

ConsPay and trust are both down compared to a couple years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign pay with competitors and ensure that employees are reviewed thoroughly to align pay within the organization. I approve of the plans that are set forth for the future of this buisness.

Stuffy

IT Manager (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsPerks, campus, Old CEO, Oklahoma City Thunder

ConsCulture, Fragmented Business Units, Too Big Too Fast

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow when you don't know

Chesapeake energy is a great company to work for. The work culture is superb. Everyone treat each other with respect.

Application Developer Analyst (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGreat benefit, work life balance, living well programs, training programs, smart people

ConsSometimes wrong people making decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep up the good work of creating a great place to work for. You have great talents working for you that are hard to find especially in OKC. Please try to retain those people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPros of working here are all being taken away.

ConsThere is a constant fear of lay-offs

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are NOT better than the people you "manage".

Does not live up to it's Conduct & Training policies

Floorman Trainee (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

Pros- Nice pay and benefits

-Work Schedules are nice

-Great equipment

-I wish I could list more for this company...but some of this was only listed because of the 20 word minimum. They are not the a best company to work for!

Cons-If you have no experience in this field...don't go here an expect to be trained, even though they say they will. They will throw you on a rig and forget about you. The old hands don't like new hires and do anything they can to get you to quit. If you don't quit, they will find a way to terminate you.

-The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and they don't care when you bring it to their attention, and the employees suffer for it

-They retain poor management personnel who have no idea what it means to lead

-No clear disciplinary procedures or policies, which leaves it to the whim of the supervisors who pick and choose who they like and who they don't. Watch your back because they will set you up and you will be immediately terminated; no warnings that you are doing anything wrong or need to improve these areas...just terminated.

-Do not give performance appraisals in the 30, 60, and 90 day intervals...you'll be lucky if you get a 30 day like I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement disciplinary policies that give specific steps of disciplinary procedures. You are losing good workers because you are allowing people in supervisory positions to abuse their power. If you care about your reputation, or still being listed as Forbes 100 best, you better step up to the plate because your management and HR are going to get you on Forbes 100 worst...and your really close to the top of the list, if not already there!

If you are going to promise to train people who have never been in this field of work...then follow through and make sure they are getting that training...most are not and are either getting fed up or are getting terminated.

Stop cutting your own nose off to spite your face...you are bleeding some of the best, dedicated, and ambitious people, and retaining the ones who have no ethics or safety concerns at all...it's going to cost you seriously eventually...you reap what you sow, folks.

Was a Great place to work before all the changes

EHS Field Representative (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsPros – great benefits, campus, 6 month reviews and stock awards twice a year now once a year.

ConsManagement driven by the bottom line, but most of the new VP all came from Anadarko Petroleum, too many changes and making everyone walking on egg shells. the employees are the ones that suffered, VP and CEO still make a nice top income.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk talk the talk include President and CEO

Excellent experience - great company to work for

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsChesapeake is a great company to work for. They provide challenging opportunities that are very rewarding. Employees enjoy an exciting campus life have excellent benefits.

ConsI don't have anything bad to say about Chesapeake.

New Season

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat benefits, campus, 6 month reviews and stock awards

Consgoing through reorganization and new structure

Advice to Senior Managementhave integrity and be honest with employees

Nowadays Just a Number at Stressopeak Energy

Pros(1)Good pay but no better than industry avg. (2) Prior to current regime change/restructuring, company was annually listed amongst Best Places to Work.

Cons(1) Restructuring business makes a most unpleasant work environment.
    (2) Job (if lucky enough to retain one) is unsecure and constantly dangled like the sword of Damocles above your head.
    (3) Selection process to achieve desired layoff numbers was biased and unfair.
    (4) Bonuses and 401 k match being threatened.
    (5) Workplace STRESS every single day, constantly waiting for next shoe to drop.
    (6) Lack of trust in regards to upper management and HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't believe this company will EVER be listed among the Best Places to Work again, I invite and challenge you to prove me wrong.
    Also, KARMA.

Going down hill.

Title Landman (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsStill good pay and great benefits. The campus is awesome and the community is great. Hopefully it will remain that way.

ConsIts all going down hill, the company's new focus on the bottom line is at the expense of everything else including employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the people.

Worked for Chesapeake Energy? Contribute to the Community!