Chesapeake Energy
www.chk.com Oklahoma City, OK 5000+ Employees

Chesapeake Energy Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Chesapeake Energy President, Chief Executive Officer and Director Robert D. Lawler

Robert D. Lawler

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It is a great place to work.

Materials Technician I (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThey have plenty of ways to advance within the company. The benefits are great!

ConsI really enjoy learning new things, and in the past there has always been several training classes, however due to recent changes within the company there are fewer opportunities to take training classes.

Best Place to work in OKC!

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGreat culture, excellent benefits, compressed work schedule. I love my job!

ConsI do not presently have any cons.

Wonderful company and culture!

Oklahoma City, OK

ProsI am a very active person, and I love that Chesapeake's campus keeps health and fitness at the top of your mind. The restaurants have healthy options to choose from and they highlight those to make it easy to make those selections. There is also an outdoor track that makes it convenient for employees to go for a quick run on their lunch break. Fitness classes are also offered before work, during lunch and after work.

I am also very impressed with all of the training opportunities available to employees. This year, tuition reimbursement was added as another wonderful benefit.

ConsI can't think of any. The pay is competitive and the benefits are unbeatable! I love my job and love working for Chesapeake!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

We are doing it right!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsWe have always been a great company but with the change in leadership, we are unstoppable.

ConsThis company is a great place to work! I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the open communication and town halls. Keep it coming.

Once was a great place, then things went downhill quick.

Landman (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGym is nice, for $20 a month.

ConsAfter Aubrey time, things got tight, less perks. Lots of stress of getting laid off, sold off and canned. Lots of paranoid employees unsure on what the future entails. If laid off they don't vest your 401K unless you have reached their 5 years.
    15% 401k match is a joke, they give you 20-25% of it each year after it's earned. The golden handcuffs keep you from wanting to leave, because there will always be money left behind. I only got to keep a faction of my 401k match. Same applies to Stock bonuses, if you leave on your own terms they get to keep all the unvested portion, which is a lot.
    They got rid of the garden but had to place it back due to land contract from purchase, otherwise that would have been closed too. Any small little benefit that helped them reach Forbes Best, pretty much went away.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with employees and people wouldn't be leaving and searching for other opportunities. Even when management tried to be open, the comments where vague and untrustworthy.

Fast moving company

Field Geologist (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsIt is easy to move up and the benefits are the best i've heard of.

ConsSome of the low level management is very poor. The company does not communicate well between sectors

Tremendous opportunities to learn and grow but worked long hard hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThere were a number of conveniences such as the restaurants with great food choices. The gym and trainers are fantastic. They made all efforts for you to have the tools necessary to do your job. The rapid changes and growth of the company provided great learning experiences and daily challenges so your job was never boring.

ConsThere was a tremendous amount of work that made it impossible to work a normal work week. Vacation time was generous but found it difficult to take time off due to the pressing schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture was not a harmonious one. Too many sacrifices of the staff for others to get ahead.

Big Brother

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsLots of great benefits if you work at headquarters.

ConsThey watch when you scan doors and when you log on to your computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rely on door scans to determine if a person is late. Many people walk in at the same time and a missing scan does not mean that someone isn't there.

An older person at Chesapeake

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe founder of this company was very dedicated to creating a positive environement and turning control over to the next generation

ConsThings were geared to heavily to things that didn't promote good work habits and promoted silo operations. This created a tremendous amount of stress on certain groups to perform far above the typical employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the silo's.This is neither cost effective or a means to long term success.

Good culture, many perks

Senior Applications Developer/Analyst (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsOverall culture is very positive. Big focus on health with amazing fitness center on main campus and multiple restaurants.
    Compensation package is competitive, low stress.

ConsLarge company with many levels of management. Middle management is very political.
    I never saw promotions and bonuses based on performance, just years of experience. Very, very frustrating for people who want to excel because you see people just getting by or performing relatively poorly and there's no real recognition.
    With so many supervisors, there are some good and some really bad. Because supervisors can be put in the position not because of their skills but because they've just worked for the company for so long.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutline and enforce required skill sets for internal promotions. Somebody shouldn't just be a senior xx because they've been with the company for 5 years.

Worked for Chesapeake Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Chesapeake Energy Videos

Chesapeake Energy – Why Work for Us?

​We're firm believers that our people are the key to our success. We take pride in recruiting the best talent available for every facet of our business. Our energetic and entrepreneurial spirit has enabled us to grow… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chesapeake Energy reviews and ratings in Oklahoma City, OK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chesapeake Energy CEO Robert D. Lawler . All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Chesapeake Energy employees.