Chesapeake Energy
www.chk.com Oklahoma City, OK 5000+ Employees

Chesapeake Energy Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Chesapeake Energy President, Chief Executive Officer and Director Robert D. Lawler

Robert D. Lawler

Pros:
  • "Employees enjoy a full service fitness center with individual machines and group workouts"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Lots of great benefits if you work at headquarters"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even though there are a lot of "perks" to working there (food, fitness center, parties, etc"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Long hours, at least in my department"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful company and culture!

Oklahoma City, OK

ProsI am a very active person, and I love that Chesapeake's campus keeps health and fitness at the top of your mind. The restaurants have healthy options to choose from and they highlight those to make it easy to make those selections. There is also an outdoor track that makes it convenient for employees to go for a quick run on their lunch break. Fitness classes are also offered before work, during lunch and after work.

I am also very impressed with all of the training opportunities available to employees. This year, tuition reimbursement was added as another wonderful benefit.

ConsI can't think of any. The pay is competitive and the benefits are unbeatable! I love my job and love working for Chesapeake!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

It is a great place to work.

Materials Technician I (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThey have plenty of ways to advance within the company. The benefits are great!

ConsI really enjoy learning new things, and in the past there has always been several training classes, however due to recent changes within the company there are fewer opportunities to take training classes.

Best Place to work in OKC!

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGreat culture, excellent benefits, compressed work schedule. I love my job!

ConsI do not presently have any cons.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad

ProsTickets to Thunder game and fitness center

Consunstable, the good old boy system in in affect here.

Advice to Senior Managementstop leading on the employees be thruthful

We are doing it right!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsWe have always been a great company but with the change in leadership, we are unstoppable.

ConsThis company is a great place to work! I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the open communication and town halls. Keep it coming.

Best Company

ProsCouldn't ask for a better company to work for. Wages, benefits are great and holidays off.

ConsCan't think of any thing.

Good Company Overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsBonuses twice a year plus christmas bonus. Twice yearly reviews with possibility for raises and stock. Laid back working environment

ConsDidn't provide help and assistance as requested and promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people that do the work!

Very hard to get ahead within the company if you express your mind and opinions.

Opereations (Former Employee)
    Carrizo Springs, TX

Proscompensation was decent. company values were family oriented at one point. only certain employees are allowed an opportunity for growth in the region i worked in.

Consbenfits have depleted since Lawler took over. fellow employees (not mgmt) were easy to work with. when i was there it was very difficult to take time off. Lost my first 2 years of vacation, since not able to get approval for PTO and unable to rollover any PTO.
    2nd tier management not very knowledgeable in operations and just looking to get promoted no matter who they step on or throw under the bus. South Texas region needs better upper managment. no class.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote people based on performance, not based on politics of the business or race. examine your Upper mangement team and their ethics.

Once was a great place, then things went downhill quick.

Landman (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGym is nice, for $20 a month.

ConsAfter Aubrey time, things got tight, less perks. Lots of stress of getting laid off, sold off and canned. Lots of paranoid employees unsure on what the future entails. If laid off they don't vest your 401K unless you have reached their 5 years.
    15% 401k match is a joke, they give you 20-25% of it each year after it's earned. The golden handcuffs keep you from wanting to leave, because there will always be money left behind. I only got to keep a faction of my 401k match. Same applies to Stock bonuses, if you leave on your own terms they get to keep all the unvested portion, which is a lot.
    They got rid of the garden but had to place it back due to land contract from purchase, otherwise that would have been closed too. Any small little benefit that helped them reach Forbes Best, pretty much went away.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with employees and people wouldn't be leaving and searching for other opportunities. Even when management tried to be open, the comments where vague and untrustworthy.

Great place to work if you can keep up with the work pressure and competitive co-workers

Field Geologist (Former Employee)
    Douglas, WY

Pros- great salary
    - one of the very few companies that offered rotational work = work/life balance
    - very thorough initial training
    - rotational promotions through QC, remote logging and remote geosteering
    - $250 additional credit to buy merchandise

Cons- very tense atmosphere. mudloggers would worry about getting fired after a simple number switch on a well name in a report.
    - would fire people for the smallest things
    - introduced tests to basically weed out the more inexperienced (4 months in) and less knowledgeable mudloggers. had to get more than 80% pass the first time, then 90% pass the second time. if failed both times, you get terminated. knew many people who barely scraped a pass the second time round. or would take pictures of the questions the first time so they revised for the second time. some mudloggers had much earlier deadlines than others to complete the test.
    - pressure from geologists who'd complain non-stop

Advice to Senior Managementthat was back during Audrey McClendon's management so not very familiar with the current management.

Worked for Chesapeake Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Chesapeake Energy Videos

Chesapeake Energy – Why Work for Us?

​We're firm believers that our people are the key to our success. We take pride in recruiting the best talent available for every facet of our business. Our energetic and entrepreneurial spirit has enabled us to grow… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chesapeake Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chesapeake Energy CEO Robert D. Lawler . All 114 reviews posted anonymously by Chesapeake Energy employees.