Chesapeake Energy

Chesapeake Energy Reviews

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
3.8

Chesapeake Energy President, Chief Executive Officer and Director Robert D. Lawler
Robert D. Lawler

Pros
  • Fitness center, aggressive approach, Encouraged to think outside box (in 22 reviews)

• The company is large enough to get great benefits but feels comfortable in that you still have an impact (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Even though there are a lot of "perks" to working there (food, fitness center, parties, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, at least in my department (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful company and culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Chesapeake Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am a very active person, and I love that Chesapeake's campus keeps health and fitness at the top of your mind. The restaurants have healthy options to choose from and they highlight those to make it easy to make those selections. There is also an outdoor track that makes it convenient for employees to go for a quick run on their lunch break. Fitness classes are also offered before work, during lunch and after work.

I am also very impressed with all of the training opportunities available to employees. This year, tuition reimbursement was added as another wonderful benefit.

Cons

I can't think of any. The pay is competitive and the benefits are unbeatable! I love my job and love working for Chesapeake!!

Keep up the good work!

We are doing it right!

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Chesapeake Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have always been a great company but with the change in leadership, we are unstoppable.

Cons

This company is a great place to work! I can't think of any cons.

Thank you for the open communication and town halls. Keep it coming.

Not bad

I have been working at Chesapeake Energy

Pros

Tickets to Thunder game and fitness center

Cons

unstable, the good old boy system in in affect here.

stop leading on the employees be thruthful

Good Company Overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Chesapeake Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bonuses twice a year plus christmas bonus. Twice yearly reviews with possibility for raises and stock. Laid back working environment

Cons

Didn't provide help and assistance as requested and promised.

Listen to the people that do the work!

Best Company

I have been working at Chesapeake Energy

Pros

Couldn't ask for a better company to work for. Wages, benefits are great and holidays off.

Cons

Can't think of any thing.

Very hard to get ahead within the company if you express your mind and opinions.

Former Employee - Opereations in Carrizo Springs, TX
    Former Employee - Opereations in Carrizo Springs, TX

I worked at Chesapeake Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

compensation was decent. company values were family oriented at one point. only certain employees are allowed an opportunity for growth in the region i worked in.

Cons

benfits have depleted since Lawler took over. fellow employees (not mgmt) were easy to work with. when i was there it was very difficult to take time off. Lost my first 2 years of vacation, since not able to get approval for PTO and unable to rollover any PTO.
    2nd tier management not very knowledgeable in operations and just looking to get promoted no matter who they step on or throw under the bus. South Texas region needs better upper managment. no class.

promote people based on performance, not based on politics of the business or race. examine your Upper mangement team and their ethics.

Once was a great place, then things went downhill quick.

Former Employee - Landman in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Landman in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Chesapeake Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gym is nice, for $20 a month.

Cons

After Aubrey time, things got tight, less perks. Lots of stress of getting laid off, sold off and canned. Lots of paranoid employees unsure on what the future entails. If laid off they don't vest your 401K unless you have reached their 5 years.
    15% 401k match is a joke, they give you 20-25% of it each year after it's earned. The golden handcuffs keep you from wanting to leave, because there will always be money left behind. I only got to keep a faction of my 401k match. Same applies to Stock bonuses, if you leave on your own terms they get to keep all the unvested portion, which is a lot.
    They got rid of the garden but had to place it back due to land contract from purchase, otherwise that would have been closed too. Any small little benefit that helped them reach Forbes Best, pretty much went away.

Be more open with employees and people wouldn't be leaving and searching for other opportunities. Even when management tried to be open, the comments where vague and untrustworthy.

Great place to work if you can keep up with the work pressure and competitive co-workers

Former Employee - Field Geologist in Douglas, WY
    Former Employee - Field Geologist in Douglas, WY

I worked at Chesapeake Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- great salary
    - one of the very few companies that offered rotational work = work/life balance
    - very thorough initial training
    - rotational promotions through QC, remote logging and remote geosteering
    - $250 additional credit to buy merchandise

Cons

- very tense atmosphere. mudloggers would worry about getting fired after a simple number switch on a well name in a report.
    - would fire people for the smallest things
    - introduced tests to basically weed out the more inexperienced (4 months in) and less knowledgeable mudloggers. had to get more than 80% pass the first time, then 90% pass the second time. if failed both times, you get terminated. knew many people who barely scraped a pass the second time round. or would take pictures of the questions the first time so they revised for the second time. some mudloggers had much earlier deadlines than others to complete the test.
    - pressure from geologists who'd complain non-stop

that was back during Audrey McClendon's management so not very familiar with the current management.

Laid back culture with a sense of urgency.

I have been working at Chesapeake Energy as a contractor

Pros

The company has a very young and energetic vibe to it and the amenities are top notch. The people are friendly, the restaurants are great, and the information and technology available leads to a very productive and fast-paced work day. I haven't dreaded a day of work since being at Chesapeake.

Cons

As a contract landman, some of the amenities aren't available to you (fitness center) and at times you can feel like an outsider. Also, it seems difficult to get hired on after being a contractor because you are rarely checked on or monitored, which has both pros and cons.

I haven't had much interaction or been impacted by upper management, but with how they have gone about restructuring the company and trying to capitalize on the assets they already have, I think the company is on pace for a return to the top.

Fast moving company

Current Employee - Field Geologist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Field Geologist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Chesapeake Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is easy to move up and the benefits are the best i've heard of.

Cons

Some of the low level management is very poor. The company does not communicate well between sectors

Chesapeake Energy Photos