Chesapeake Regional Medical Center

2.7
Peter F. Bastone

1. Charge RN

I worked at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center

Pros

Respected Position with added responsibilities

Cons

Often heavy burdened with leadership responsibilities and patient assignments

2. Nurses and CNAs beware!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees are really friendly..

Cons

You will ALWAYS be underpaid and get a bunch of excuses from management that you're paid "competitively" compared to surrounding hospitals which is in flat out untrue! They always make you feel that what you do is never enough but give "empty praise" to try to keep you motivated for what you do. It is not a working environment favorable to new grad nurses because there is no real education that goes on there. I've seen new grad nurses being oriented by new nurses with less than 1 yr experience or by experienced nurses who just aren't that good which you will learn bad habits and practices which can get you in trouble later on and don't expect any mercy! There are a LOT of brown nosers in regular staff and management who will do anything to make themselves look good to succeed. So don't be fooled by all friendly faces. Don't expect to advance.....opportunities are LIMITED and usually go to the "buddies" of management. Travel nurses better beware! You will get all the crappy assignments and as many admissions as they can give you!

Advice to Management

GET RID OF ALL CURRENT NURSE MANAGERS on the med/tele units! They don't have a clue about what true management and leadership is about. That's why your patient satisfaction scores and employee satisfaction scores are so low!

3. Work your tush off for nothing!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get a pay check

Cons

The pay is WELL below market standards It's not unusual to work an 80-hour week if you're non-clinical No upward movement unless you don't know what you're doing You'd better be loud and talk your head off or no one will believe you're working The place was built on conflicts of interests

Advice to Management

Recognize the people who are working hard and getting results rather than cutting their jobs, not giving any raises, asking for more results, etc.

Chesapeake Regional Medical Center Review

Current Employee - RN in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - RN in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance and company values

Cons

Lack of growth opportunity, pay raises

Advice to Management

Invest in education and training

Dedicated staff GREAT new administration

Former Employee - Exercise Physiologist in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Exercise Physiologist in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are dedicated to making the patient experience what it should be. New CEO has been making positive changes and moving business in the right direction. He has a big mess to clean up from his predecessor but plans are in place to improve all aspects of the organization. I would have stayed if I could have, the future looks bright!

Cons

Pay is not very competitive unless to push the issue. Administrated staff who have been there a long time have no assertiveness. You have to speak for yourself and be confident to get what you need!

Advice to Management

I think things are moving in the right direction however even after the cuts and restructuring there are still problems in management further down the chain. Directors should have the courage to speak up and express employee concerns to upper management. Nothing will improve in a department if your director is a weak link.

7. Mid-management great, with some changes put in place it would be the best place to work.

Former Employee - Finance in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Finance in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sense of family environment with 2000+ employees, friendly place, mid-management are wonderful to work for.

Cons

Resources are scarce to effectively perform, workflows and process changes are very difficult to implement,

Advice to Management

Lack of c-suite visibility at the department level, stop by-say hello-talk to the staff. Hold people accountable with actions put in place if not performing.

Working there caused me to have some of the worse years of my life.

I worked at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

The housekeeping staff was very nice.

Cons

My boss was disengaged and not knowledgeable of the field. Some of the physicians were rude and vindictive.

Advice to Management

You cannot continue to let the doctors run this hospital no matter how incompetent and no matter how rude they are to the employees. And you cannot be supporting doctors who have conflicts of interest.

9. I currently work at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Employees care about the organization and work together well My department has been very flexible

Cons

Lower pay compared to the local market The good ol' boy network means that those being promoted are the ones that aren't best for the job

Advice to Management

Recognize the brown-nosers and start paying attention to those who do the real work. Certain people who have no clue what they're doing are promoted to ridiculous levels, while those who are knowledgeable about the organization and its needs are kept down and told they are doing poorly.

10. It is a pleasant place to work.

I worked at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center

Pros

Independent hospitals offer more of a sense of community. Everyone was friendly, and I really felt that patient care was priority.

Cons

They pay a little bit less than hospitals in surrounding areas, but it is still worth taking a pay cut to work at this hospital opposed to others in the area.

Advice to Management

I think with all the changes being made, leadership was doing well. I feel that more attention should be paid to the opinions of the employees, and feedback should always be given when an employee makes a suggestion.

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Radiology Charge Nurse in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Radiology Charge Nurse in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center

Pros

Small community hopsital and supports the community. Leadership is concern about the welfare of the patients by seeking ways to improve care to meet Joint Commission standards.

Cons

Management doesn't always pass information down successfully in a timely manner. Patients have difficult finding their way through the hospital.

Advice to Management

Offer advice, wisdom along with constructive criticisms to allow Supervisors to excel at their jobs and become successful in their positions..

RSS Feed </> Embed