Chesterfield County Public Schools

Updated August 22, 2014
3.3

Chesterfield County Public Schools Superintendent Marcus J. Newsome
Marcus J. Newsome

Great county and great schools to work in but there has been way too much push on test scores like most systems.

Former Employee - Teacher in Chesterfield, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chesterfield, VA

I worked at Chesterfield County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Administration, school quality, co-workers, staff

Cons

Salary of course, excessive inservices that are unnecessary

make inservices more relevant to what we do.

Poor unorganized leadership

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chester, VA

I have been working at Chesterfield County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

state benefits are all i see

Cons

upper leadership week and not unified

look elsewhere, always start at bottom of pay range advertised regardless of experience

Secondary Spanish teacher

Current Employee - Spanish Teacher in Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Spanish Teacher in Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Chesterfield County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching is my passion. I don't do it to get rich. Enlightening and engaging kids is a wonderful thing.

Cons

Administration is overpaid and under-qualified. Most of the admin has not taught in a classroom in more than a decade. They have no idea how much extra work has been given to teachers. Work/life balance is difficult - most teachers are chairing several committees, clubs, after-school activities for no additional pay. Many teachers have second jobs as well. There's no room to "grow" unless you become an administrator. I love to teach, not be a manager. Teachers need recognition for their hard work; it's a thankless job. The only reason I stay is because I love working with our kids.

Get in the classroom & teach for a week or so every year. Switch places with a teacher to appreciate what they need to do day in and day out. Support the teachers that work hard and give their all; get rid of teachers who are lazy and ineffective. Forget about "tenure". In the "real world", there is no such thing - if you do a poor job, you'll get fired. Do the same in our school district.

Everyday was a new experience.

I have been working at Chesterfield County Public Schools (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to become a teacher full time.

Cons

Very poor communication, from administration to other teachers. If you like "flying by the seat of you pants" then this job is for you. Note you have NO authority for disciplining a student.

Repetitive work environment but employee-focused

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield Court House, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield Court House, VA

I worked at Chesterfield County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee education courses, opportunities to move within the county, benefits are very good if you are single, excellent vacation time if 10 - 12 month employee

Cons

Work flow is very repetitive, new projects are developed without any input from the employees who will actually do the work, culture can change from building to building and some policies are now implemented the same in each location

Get input from employees when developing new programs to avoid major pitfalls. Unless you are doing the grunt work everyday there will be things that are forgotten about until they become a problem.

Decent place to work, decent salary

Former Employee - Teacher in Midlothian, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Chesterfield County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, dedicated staff, supportive parents

Cons

Too much control by central office; excessive county-required assessments took away valuable instructional time

Allow more flexibility at the school level to manage on-going assessment

Wonderful school system to work for.

Former Employee - Art Educator in Chesterfield, VA
    Former Employee - Art Educator in Chesterfield, VA

I worked at Chesterfield County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Art education is important to this county.

Cons

Schedule for elementary art teachers is hectic with no assistance for teaching six classes per day of various grade levels. Easy to burn out...that is what happened to me.

Less classes for art teachers or assistant to be hired as the library teacher has.

Great School System!

Current Employee - Teacher in Chesterfield, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chesterfield, VA

I have been working at Chesterfield County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highest teaching professionals in the area, would send my kids to these schools!

Cons

Salaries are continually cut, no recognition for a good job-only more work.

Beware of competitors who are willing to make trades!

Average school district, below average pay/benefits

Current Employee - High School World Language Teacher in Midlothian, VA
    Current Employee - High School World Language Teacher in Midlothian, VA

Pros

Little change, too much administrative work, administrators do very little

Cons

Too much administrative work; administrators (principals, ass't. principals, etc.) have no idea of the amount of work teachers have been given in the past few years.

Get rid of the "stuffed shirts" in administration. Any given day one can walk into central office and see slackers doing absolutely nothing, including at the facilities building. Stop wasting so much money on needless positions and consolidate some tasks. Run the school more like a business and you will see the rewards in both staff and students. Administrators should be required to rotate between teaching classes and administrative work to keep a realistic perspective on today's teaching requirements.

it's ok, salaries need to be raised, workload has greatly increased

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Midlothian, VA
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Midlothian, VA

I have been working at Chesterfield County Public Schools

Pros

love working with kids; they keep me here. i live close to the school, so commute is great. I love being able to be home by 3:30 or so in the afternoon, although I am in the building by 6:30 daily.

Cons

Administrators have been out of "teaching" too long; they have no idea how hard our jobs are. Admin. needs to be visible in the building. Too many times they are hidden in their offices.

Take over a teaching position every semester to keep your perspective fresh and to see how our kids are doing on a daily basis inside our classrooms. Kids would love to have you join us, too.