Chevron

Chevron Reviews in Bakersfield, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily(in 123 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good(in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network(in 12 reviews)

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place for engineers, I personally did not like the culture of the industry in general.

Drilling and Completions Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsSafety based culture of the company, pay, benefits, career development.

ConsTradition based thinking, especially when working directly in the field.

Great place to work!

Thermal Operator (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsI've never been paid so well, with benefits so good. There is more paid time off than any other job I've ever had. I work with a great group of people that have become friends as well as coworkers.

ConsIt is an outside job in Bakersfield California so you have to work in the heat during a good part of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to focus so much on college degrees in promotions, there are some employees with experience that can't be taught in college/.

Decent place to work but lacks track for me to be innovative.

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsDecent salary, like working with multi-nationals, great travel opportunities. Decent benefits.

ConsOld school too many levels of management. Line Managers are old school glorified self serving cops. THIS IS AN OLD MANAGEMENT SCHOOL COMPANY.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance ranking old school - needs ability for those being managed to rank their managers. Pissing off an ass manager will destroy your ranking. New managers NEED MENTORING.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good opportunity to learn technical field design, but low integrity management

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

Proscompany uses the latest computer, software and other network to conduct business globally and locally

Conslocal company uses fear to intimidate employees, locals steal money from corporate accounts charging corporate projects hidden fees against local projects funded through AFEs, local contractor construction groups run the company at the local level unlike other industries where Operations run the company

Advice to Senior Managementchange your local management, or, rotate the management every 3 years

great company to work for

Technologist (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

Prosexcellent work environment, empowered to make decisions

Consnot enough focus on career development for non-engineering career paths.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove career development focus for technologist and other non-engineers

Excellent Work Environment

Facilities Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsChallenging, great people, 9/80 schedule

Consstart with only 2 weeks vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementMore vacation for new hires

Great people to work with

Project Manager (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsGreat group of people. Very conciansious of everyone. Careful planning is paramount in everything and it shows in the stakeholder returns.

ConsSometimes some people can slow the decision process.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the number of analytical tools that do the same thing. Time is wasted to find the right tool.

Great place to work, treat employees well

HES Environmental Specialist Intern (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsGreat work environment, everyone is very supportive and encouraging. There is ample training and career development opportunities

ConsLarge company so sometimes communication across projects and groups can be difficult, and corporate legalities can be a nuisance.

Rewarding Company to work for

Lease Operator (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

Pros-Hard work is Valued
    -Great Benefits
    -Diversity

Cons-Lots of competition when it comes to moving up
    -Good old boy system when it comes to promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementMake time to develop a relationships with peers and subordinates.

Awesome. Was able to learn a lot in a great atmosphere.

Petroleum Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsPeople are laid-back and encourage working with one another. Not a job where you have to look over your shoulder. They definitely stress a work-life balance, and make sure you enjoy your job at the same time.

ConsHuge company, so was involved in small-scale projects, versus working hands-on in multiple areas. They have a lot of different rules as well - such as not driving over 55, going through a maze just to get overtime approved, etc.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!