Chevron

Chevron Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros:
  • "The company culture respects human nature and truely emphasize work-life balance"
    in 111 reviews
  • "9/80 Work schedule - every 2nd Friday off"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good"
    in 12 reviews
  • "On top of that there is a good ole boy network that is on steroids"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company

Commercial Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 10 years

Prosability to progress and worldwide opportunities

Conshave to move at times to progress

A great corporate America experience, but keep in mind, this is Big Oil

Compliance Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits, salary, professional development, career prospects, international and multicultural exposure. It is a huge company that has been there for ever and will be there for a long long time. Most of the executives come from inside which tells you they have been in the shoes of lower rank members. They are not there for the bonuses in the next few years but they are truly committed to the long term success of the company (which also helps their bonuses, of course, but you get my point)

ConsCareer prospects often depend on your disposition to move around, domestically and internationally.
You own your career. If you are not proactive seeking career development they are not going to give it to you. They value employees that are professional and grown-ups.
Sometimes the "buddy system" affects you. And sometimes you would feel HR employees aren't either "human" nor "resources" (you own your career, remember that)

A corporation that develops their employees in a collaborative environment

Drill Site Manager (Offshore Engineer) (Current Employee)
Covington, LA

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than a year

ProsChevron is great about developing their employees and training is an essential part of the job (especially for new comers). The work environment is very colaborative and Chevron encourages team work and helping each other out. Jobs change every 2-3 years keeping work exciting and engaging. I feel comfortable that I will be supported by my company if I report any unethical behavior. They also care alot about safety (almost too much). They try to promote a healthy work-life balance. Oh, and HIGHLY competetive pay.

ConsIt is still a corporation. Its easy to be forgotten (especially if you work offshore like I do) so it is important that you take the steps to gain recognition.
ie At my yearly evaluation meeting, my surpervisor thought I was someone else despite my constant discussion and meetings with him.

Contract Staffing Coordinator

Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee)
San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor for more than a year

ProsChevron has awsome benefits and a lifetime career opportunity

ConsMost of the positions are in Houston, Texas

Good company with a few issues

Geologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood starting company with lots of training and career opportunities. Exposure to several different position types early on with their training program, with 2 yr rotations, generally.

ConsWork life balance is very supervisor dependent, everything is so process driven, you erode value with the number of meetings needed to move anything forward. Salaries are low compared to industry. Promotions and advancement are related to how much your supervisor supports you and not actual work merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart retiring and take the old school mentality with you. Not everyone is a single earner with a stay at home spouse.

Excellent Beginning for First Full time Job

Covington, LA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern for less than a year

ProsHaving started my Chevron internship with no prior industry experience, I was worried about being unable to keep up with expectations and demands. But Chevron's emphasis on personal career growth and treating employees as individuals rather than cogs, helped make my internship a fulfilling experience. Now as a full time employee, I'm glad to be a part of a workplace where work is challenging and colleagues form a support network rather than competitors.

ConsEspecially when new hires or interns are just starting off, it's sometimes hard to understand how our individual project or teams relate to the larger business unit goals or needs. Incorporating that discussion into some aspect of training would be helpful.

Unwelcoming nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chevron full-time

ProsBenefits and 9/80 schedule and pay

ConsRed tape
Too many processes
Safety culture overdone and interferes with work

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not 1980 anymore

Great career combined with genuine work life balance (provided you're in upstream)

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood solid company to work for with a lot of opportunity to grow. Pleasant work environment and I get to work with many bright and motivated people. The management style is also very good in their way of engaging employees and always having an open door policy where you can walk in anytime to let them know what's going - and when the news is bad they don't shoot the messenger.

Genuine work-life balance. They respect employees right to a personal life and there's seldom a need to have to work on weekends or late at night. The nine day fortnight system is a fantastic benefit. Pay & benefits are good, probably are some higher paying employers around but when you look at the whole deal (esp working hours etc) I think you'd battle to beat Chevron

ConsAll of what I wrote for the pros are about my time working for Upstream. Previously I worked in Downstream at a refinery and it's like working for a different company. Effectively zero career progression and some unpleasant office politics. Probably the worst was the policy of never promoting top level managers from within - always had to be expats or someone recruited from outside of Chevron. Understandably this upset a lot of people who realised there was no chance of ever moving up. Compensation sub par (especially for some technical skills that local management was not aware that they had or even need!) compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Upstream - you're doing well and have some good people that are well managed. Keep up the good work. A lot of people are envious when I tell them I work for Chevron and ask me if there are any openings. For an oil & gas company it does seem to be doing pretty well regarding public image and perception.

For Downstream - recommend improving the quality of management and relooking at some existing policies. I've heard the complaint from my new managers in upstream that the traditional feeder system of engineers starting at refineries and then after around 5-8 years moving into the big upstream projects is no longer working because engineers seldom last more then 4 years at refineries before they resign (2 years is around average) Refineries are a great breeding ground to develop engineers that will in future support the big upstream projects, but you need to retain them especially as the need for guys with "plant" experience increases.

The forced ranking system that you use is outdated is not taken very seriously by staff. Managers also hate having to do it. Most staff know they will come out as average and don't put the maximum effort into career development because the result is a foregone conclusion. Your performance review system is due for an overhaul.

Awesome Company

Drilling Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, Work schedule, Mobility, International, Great pay

ConsNone. This is a very good company to work for.

Great people and great opportunities

Facilities Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are genuine, good pay relative to other industries, friendly work environment, 9/80 work schedule, and global employment opportunities increase pay substantially.

ConsSecrecy around pay determination process, process can sometimes delay projects, and locations are not always the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall you're doing well.. Reward individuals who execute

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chevron CEO John S. Watson. All 548 reviews posted anonymously by Chevron employees.