Chevron

Chevron Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily(in 122 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good(in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network(in 12 reviews)

A big engine desperate for oil and fuel.

IT Professional (Current Employee) Dublin, CA

ProsThe maturity level of Chevron allows for great benefits if you're a FTE. Obviously not the same if you're a contractor.

ConsTraining is only offered to FTE. Contractors have to pay for their own training.

As stated above, Chevron does not provide any benefits for contractors.

Office culture is equal to that of a "good old boy" club. There are many high tenure (30+ years) employees that talk down at new employees and contractors.

Leadership lacks involvement and thus employees/contractors are left without direction.

Project completion is expected within unrealistic timelines and without proper funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider leveraging smaller teams. Team leads are drowning and cannot tend to their employees' daily needs.

Offer training to contractors as well. You can't expect the required level of competence from someone you don't train. This is part of employee development and one day that contractor may be part of your FTE force.

Office culture needs to be reviewed but it needs to begin at the team lead level and work its way up. Perhaps employees and contractors should be allowed to grade team lead and manager performance as well.

A great place to work that genuinely cares about you.

Server Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHaving moved on, it has become painfully (pun) evident just how much emphasis they put on your physical and emotional well-being.

ConsLike most shops, they are trying to "do more with less" and it doesn't always work out as well as planned.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. This is a cliche for a reason. Back-filling positions takes far too long, especially when most teams feel understaffed in the first place.

Awesome company to be a part of!

Production Operator (Current Employee) Pascagoula, MS

ProsWork/life balance, tremendous compensation package, company that cares about your health!

ConsTime away from home, training workload is pretty intensive!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Project Accountant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat company to work for. A lot of opportunities for growth and advancement in various areas of the company. The company culture is awesome. They really care about their employees and contractors.

ConsAs a contractor interested in joining full time, it is very difficult. I've known other contractors who have been with the company for 4+ years before they were hired on as an employee. I feel like like if you have been with the company for that long, you are already accustomed to the culture and should be given a little more consideration.

Great to work for!

Refinery Operator (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe pay and benefits are amazing! The work environment is also great. Additionally, Chevron takes a lot of pride in what it does, while keeping an eye on the environment as well as it's surrounding communities.

ConsIf your an operator, the rotating shift can be a bit of a challenge. Additionally, the 12 hour shifts can be taxing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Great Place to Work

IT Professional (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsA Great Place to Work

ConsNo Cons except the managed move for new employees

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. A lot of career development opportunities. People are pretty understanding of Work/life balance. Culture is to reward those who work hard and give results.

ConsSome people do a lot more work than others without much notice. A lot of older people like to stick to their ways even if its not the best way.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new employees- just because you're an established older employee does not mean you know best.

it was a fun place to work

Cashier (Former Employee) Yuma, AZ

ProsAvery one helps and friendly

Consno advancement it takes for aver to get promoted.

Advice to Senior Managementmove store manager more

Great Company to Work For.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI spent the first half of my career of the oil service company side. Work for an Exploration company like Chevron is so much better. The company is long term focused and not necessarily last quarter only. Leadership always emphasizes a good work life balance and good tenets of operation. Compensation is very competitive along with lots of career opportunities. Staying in one role for ever is discouraged and you are always being challenged to expand your skill set.

ConsThe main down side is that with a compnay this side there is always too much process and administartive overhead. Unfortuantely more is being added year by year so you feel you don't spend all your day doing real, productive work. There is a current squeeze to do more with less which is OK, byut the admninstartive overhead needs to be tapered down.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe main down side is that with a company this side there is always so much process and administrative overhead. Unfortunately more is being added year by year so you feel you don't spend all your day doing real and productive work. There is a current squeeze to do more with less which is OK, but the administrative overhead needs to be tapered down to allow more actual work to be done and time not wasted on overhead.

Worst environment I have ever worked in. Inadequate leadership at its best.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIndustry leader in the Upstream market. Very profitable. Great work-life balance schedule. Extremely safety oriented. Invests in learning/training opportunities for its employees. Competitive compensation. Good bonus and 401K plan.

ConsFrequently promotes individuals based on who they like vs. performance, knowledge, interpersonal skills, and leadership qualities. Does not value diversity (race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, culture, personality, etc.) as it claims...the corporation overall (especially certain regions and business units) is a "Good Ole Boy" company and does nothing to change it. Places individuals with poor interpersonal skills, inadequate knowledge/credentials/experience, of unethical character, and/or who do not possess the necessary qualities of a leader, into leadership positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in Leadership/Executive Coaches and actually implement the advice and solutions they provide. Stop practicing nepotism/favoritism when hiring/promoting individuals, for it tends to prevent the creation of a progressive, competent workforce with progressive thinking, well-rounded professionals. In order to be a truly global organization your leadership, not only your workforce, need to consist of truly well-rounded, open-minded, people-oriented, knowledgeable, sharp-minded, charismatic, refined and intelligent individuals.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!