Chevron

Chevron Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros:
  • "Leadership always emphasizes a good work life balance and good tenets of operation"
    in 116 reviews
  • "9/80 work schedule, great work/life balance, they invest in their employees development and training"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good"
    in 13 reviews
  • "On top of that there is a good ole boy network that is on steroids"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pleasant place to work..

ProsGood work culture and also employee satisfaction is good

ConsI don't see any in my scope

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Benefits not worth the poor management and HR

Facilities Engineer (Former Employee)
    Grand Junction, CO

ProsWorked in beautiful locations and people at the non-management level were great! OE is an excellent business model.

ConsIn order to advance you had to be someone who was willing to compromise your personal and core company values; integrity etc. OE at the BU I worked prior to leaving was merely posters and propaganda and lip service.

Advice to Senior Management- Don't make it a three circus for employees to resolve HR issues.
    - Stop promoting and moving problem supervisors from business unit to business unit!!!
    - Stop harassment when reported the FIRST time!!!
    - Leaving a reputable employer should not be a solution for an employee being harassed

Good company with a few issues

Geologist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood starting company with lots of training and career opportunities. Exposure to several different position types early on with their training program, with 2 yr rotations, generally.

ConsWork life balance is very supervisor dependent, everything is so process driven, you erode value with the number of meetings needed to move anything forward. Salaries are low compared to industry. Promotions and advancement are related to how much your supervisor supports you and not actual work merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart retiring and take the old school mentality with you. Not everyone is a single earner with a stay at home spouse.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've worked at the rest and this is the best.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsChevron respects their employees and empowers us to create the career we want in the long term. It's a company that wants employees to work here for 30+ year careers and tries very hard to place you in opportunities where you will be successful. When there are re-orgs, the company works hard to prevent mass layoffs and takes careful steps to ensure that as many people are found jobs rather than kicking them to the curb as some other companies do.

As a project manager, I find their project methodology, CPDEP, to be one of the best. Most project professionals I work with utilize this process as it's intended; a framework for successful projects.

We are well-paid and have a great work/life balance.

ConsDepending on the project or department you are in, it can get quite 'political.' The fact that the company is reluctant to fire people is a double-edged sword. In other words, there are some managers who don't practice the collaborative "Chevron Way" yet get to keep their positions.

The PMP process (internal ranking of employees) could stand to show more visibility in the process. I suspect it's more "political" then they make it out to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the long-term vision you've been doing. It's refreshing to have leadership that wants the company to be successful over the next 30+ years rather just looking to boost the next quarter or two so they can get a bigger bonus before they parachute into a different company. I like the fact that pretty much all the senior leaders are promoted from within and have a long-term understanding of the culture.

A great corporate America experience, but keep in mind, this is Big Oil

Compliance Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsBenefits, salary, professional development, career prospects, international and multicultural exposure. It is a huge company that has been there for ever and will be there for a long long time. Most of the executives come from inside which tells you they have been in the shoes of lower rank members. They are not there for the bonuses in the next few years but they are truly committed to the long term success of the company (which also helps their bonuses, of course, but you get my point)

ConsCareer prospects often depend on your disposition to move around, domestically and internationally.
    You own your career. If you are not proactive seeking career development they are not going to give it to you. They value employees that are professional and grown-ups.
    Sometimes the "buddy system" affects you. And sometimes you would feel HR employees aren't either "human" nor "resources" (you own your career, remember that)

Senior leadership represents the values of the company, including valuing employee development.

Research Geoscientist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI was able to direct my first job change, both timing and destination.
    Diverse earth science functions and opportunity.
    Great company culture with resources for employees to back the company values.
    Opportunities to guide your won career and job rotations.

ConsInternal networking and collaboration is hampered by billable time structure within the earth science profession.
    Best starting benefits are reserved for people who came through the internship pipeline. Internships or work experience at other companies is not always given the weight it deserves.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Chevron seeks to hire a diverse work force they need to do a better job of recognizing the skills and needs of that work force. Place less emphasis on "directly related industry experience" for advanced degree applicants. Interviews should never be with all male or all female review teams. We need an ombuds like system in place to report on behavior to prevent negative personalities from ascending to team lead positions.

6-1/2 Year Current Employee

Deepwater Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsReasonable pay and good benefits, option to change jobes every few years to broaden your career. Stable environment, great people.

ConsWork/life balance not bad, but doesn't live up to their rhetoric.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forthcoming and follow your public line.

Employer of choice

ProsEveryone likes their job and Chevron creates a workplace that makes going to work okay.

ConsThe good old boy network is alive and well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to relate to a younger workforce.

A corporation that develops their employees in a collaborative environment

Drill Site Manager (Offshore Engineer) (Current Employee)
    Covington, LA

ProsChevron is great about developing their employees and training is an essential part of the job (especially for new comers). The work environment is very colaborative and Chevron encourages team work and helping each other out. Jobs change every 2-3 years keeping work exciting and engaging. I feel comfortable that I will be supported by my company if I report any unethical behavior. They also care alot about safety (almost too much). They try to promote a healthy work-life balance. Oh, and HIGHLY competetive pay.

ConsIt is still a corporation. Its easy to be forgotten (especially if you work offshore like I do) so it is important that you take the steps to gain recognition.
    ie At my yearly evaluation meeting, my surpervisor thought I was someone else despite my constant discussion and meetings with him.

Great experience for the resume!

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat atmosphere! They care so much that you have ALL the tools to do the job you're hired for. The job is challenging enough to keep you interested but not impossible.

ConsAs a contractor, I get strung along for the "full-time possibility" ride. Not much team cohesion.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because there are young team members, doesn't mean that you can take advantage of their future by stringing them along month to month. Make a move if you want contractors to stay.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!

Chevron Videos

Chevron – Why Work for Us?

Chevron Corporation is one of the world's leading integrated energy and technology companies, with subsidiaries that conduct business worldwide under the Chevron, Texaco, and Caltex brands. The company's success is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chevron CEO John S. Watson. All 600 reviews posted anonymously by Chevron employees.