Chevron

Chevron Reviews in El Segundo, CA

Updated May 9, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 123 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great to work for!

Refinery Operator (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe pay and benefits are amazing! The work environment is also great. Additionally, Chevron takes a lot of pride in what it does, while keeping an eye on the environment as well as it's surrounding communities.

ConsIf your an operator, the rotating shift can be a bit of a challenge. Additionally, the 12 hour shifts can be taxing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Great benefits, but hours are very hard on your personal life

Operator (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsAwesome benefits, great pay. The work certainly isn't boring and can be quite fun and challenging at times.

ConsA large population of boomers that does not seem to mesh well with millenials trying to start a career in the industry. The hours can be very hard on your personal life. You are encouraged to bring up safety observations but the leadership often adopts a punitive attitude when you do. When aging equipment and maintenance issues are brought up, their budget is usually the first thing they bring up, in spite of encouraging safety first.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting the wrong people. Please be more thorough in your vetting process when choosing to promote. It is far more important for a candidate to have a great and positive attitude than it is for them to have years of experience. Years alone do not make for a good candidate.

Its a great company to work for with tons of friendly people

Technical Intern (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat people, great company, GREAT work-life balance, overall a great company to work for

ConsChevron has some locations in weird spots due to oil.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process Intern

Process Engineer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGood people all around in the company

Conspetro industry, basically stuck doing just this for your life

Review for El Segundo Refinery

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsAn opportunity to meet lots of good people, and develop excellent people skills by working with all types of diverse people.

ConsThere are lots of job opportunites, but mostly for mechanical and process engineers. People are always reacting to problems, versus being proactive. Very difficult to be focused on 1-2 priorities.
    There are way too many priorities (I can only speak for El Segundo refinery).

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to empower employees, and need to focus only on top 3-4 priorities versus too many priorities. Have way too many meetings.

Good money, but say goodbye to personal life!

Refinery Operator (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsPay is good, but can be better.

ConsWork load, Forced overtime, personal life goes out the window.

Advice to Senior Managementmanage work load, accept feedback from all departments, management or not.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!