Chevron FCU Reviews

3.5
James Mooney

1. I actually like going to work every day

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time

Pros

Unpretentious people, management seems to be serious about doing the right thing, nice work environment, convenient office location, pay is good, decent benefits

Cons

Less upward mobility than at a larger company. Also it's a little too casual sometimes.

Advice to Management

There was a recnt change for the better in senior management. Don't wait so long next time.

2. Needs re-evaluating.

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time

Pros

The growth is steady and consistent.

Cons

Home office is based out of East coast, it can be difficult getting solutions due to the time difference.

3. Stable Financial institution with a warm enviroment

Current Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Stability is a major plus at CFCU. The not-for profit financial institution is one of the strongest Credit unions in the country among its peers. Working in the financial/lending industry is risky as most people know...but CFCU is very mortgage based and even during the market crash, CFCU held it's ground and has come out very strong with continuous growth. I have been through mergers with other credit unions and lenders but on the side of being laid off as a result. CFCU is not the CU going under, but instead the CU that is buying up the CUs that need help...this means we are constantly growing, and there is constant change. If you are someone who doesn't embrace change, this is not the place for you.

2)The corporate office environment is fairly relaxed as non-management employees can wear jeans. The management including the CEO, Jim Mooney are friendly and for the most part are easy to approach. Jim learns every single staff member's name, and makes it a point to greet people by name and spark up conversation with anyone. He is also very receptive to the needs of staff and has annual meeting with each department (staff only, no manager's allowed) so that he can assess their needs without feeling awkward if their are issues with the department manager. Best CEO I have worked for.

3) From my experience CFCU pays very well in comparison to other credit unions. I don't have much experience with Banks, as I have stayed with Credit unions a majority of my financial career. But please know you are not paid for nothing as you do get a decent workload. If you are lazy, don't like responsibility, cannot handle a busy work day, and a little chaos and feel entitled to undue good-pay, then you should probably go work for a bank or another institution that is not as strong or efficient.

4) Benefits! The profit sharing and bonuses are also very nice. Bonuses are based on the overall CU performance, and in part based on departmental goals. on average the bonuses range from 3% to 6%. In my department they tend to be between 5%-6% of your annual salary. The profit sharing is typically 4% of your annual salary ( if I remember correctly) and it is deposited directly into your 401K (in addition to the regular employer contribution). The 401K employer contribution is good too. I have heard that is is better than most employers. They also have a tuition reimbursement program, as well as a leadership program for those interested in advancing into leadership positions.

5) Diversity! I'm adding this particularly because I have read some bigot reviews in regards to things like "gays" and women here at CFCU. Let me start by saying CFCU operates all over the country, and we serve members of Chevron and Bechtel which are located all over the world. So as a starter our membership base is very diverse...from member's in China, Africa, Australia, the Middle East and all over the US. If you work here you will be helping a diverse membership base. But what I love about this office (the corporate office in Oakland, CA) is that we have a very diverse staff. We have many women in management, we have people from many different cultures, religions, nationalities, and lifestyles.....including gays! I love our gays! If you live in CA, and more specifically, the SF Bay area and have a problem with diversity, I can assure you that you may not be very warmly received here as we at CFCU embrace our diversity.

Cons

I think Cons are somewhat personal as they would vary from department to department, and each individual.

Cost to commute: Let me start by saying that I do appreciate the the Corporate office is centrally located with easy access to BART. But the cost and time it takes to get here is not my favorite part of working here. I think about 90% of staff commute via BART from all over the Bay Area, and it would be nice to have some kind of commute benefit or more flexibility to work from home...The commute takes up a pretty nice chunk of my paycheck and I spend approximately 3 hours of my day just commuting, which doesn't give me as much work/life balance as I would like. I'm sure this is very personal and not everyone thinks of this as a con, but I value my home life very much.

We do have the commuter pre-tax funding benefit, however this is Government based and it has recently been reduced back down to $130/mo of pre tax dollars directly withdrawn from your paycheck, which in terms of "pre-tax benefits" is really hardly a noticeable benefit. The BART portion of my commute is $200/mo (excluding the gas and wear & tear on my car from the terrible traffic to and from BART) so my commute is a major Con for me (cost, and time).

I don't really have any major complaints about the company that you would find avoidable at any other company. I personally hate office politics so I see them as a con, but as a whole, you will find office politics at any corporate based business.

Advice to Management

My department has a great manager; He is not perfect but I prefer him over many other managers in the CU. There have been other opportunities that I would not apply for here at CFCU simply because the manager of the department is not one I would like to work with. I am the type who doesn't tolerate being pushed around, micro-managed, or treated unfairly. While many have the mindset that they must bow down to authority to get anywhere in life. That's just not me so I look at things differently, but I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive and open manager.

From what I hear in other departments, some of the management is not as receptive to the staff needs as they should be...Not because they don't care but I think it's because they don't understand. Some simply don't understand the processes of their staff's job and therefore do not have fair expectations. In my humble opinion, a manager is not there to boss people around, but to be there for them, to support them and provide them with the resources and feedback they need to do their job well. Some managers have too much ego, or maybe are a bit insecure. Outside of my department I have seen favoritism, as well as mild harassment. Not to say this is unheard of anywhere you go.

In summary if management wants advice from the little people, it would be nice to see them actually sitting with staff & learning their process and keeping up with the changes to understand their day to day workflow. Maybe instead of micro managing, hire people that are valuable and dependable and then let them do their job. Micromanaging is not a good way to manage good people. I noticed the departments with the most micromanaging are the department with the least competent staff members.

5. Desperate Credit Union.....

Current Employee - Online Banking Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Online Banking Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CFCU is an 'OK' place to work if you dont have any better options. Pay is just ok , yet it is not on par with the amount of work you will be asked to do. Benefits are decent and there are some nice people, however overall a very stressful place to work.

Cons

The main challenge at CFCU is the quality of the employees. There are a few solid employees however there are a large percentage of people who simply dont want to be bothered or lack basic high school level skills. Absolutely no teamwork in this place which is strange considering all the departments are connected in some way or another.

Advice to Management

The fact that a CFCU HR manager has to go to Glassdoor to refute any review left by a CFCU employee says everything you need to know about the attitude of this Credit Union. If CFCU was such a great place to work the HR manager wouldnt need to respond and attempt to validate or discredit any of the reviews being made. One would think an individual could come to Glassdoor and leave an opinion of their work experience so visitors to the site could read reviews and make their own assessment without an HR manager desperately trying to convince viewers to think a certain way about the credit union. However even the HR manager knows how terrible a place CFCU is to work which is why it is SO! very important to him to discredit any review being left by employees leaving an honest opinion for visitors to the site. DONT THEY HAVE ANY CREDIT UNION WORK TO DO?

Feb 10, 2015VP HR

Hm, how is it that a current employee in an office with fewer than 150 employees doesn't know that both HR managers are women? We haven't had a male HR manager in 13 years. If people posing as ... More

6. Wonderful company to work with

I worked at Chevron FCU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefit package, rewarded for hard work put forth, and lots of possibilities for advancement and growth at a mid management level.

Cons

I can't think of one honestly

Advice to Management

Be more open to hiring more within the organization from the bottom.

Jan 12, 2015VP HR

We appreciate your review! Your last comment seems to be about promoting from within more, and while there is also value in occasionally bringing in fresh perspectives from outside, I agree that ... More

7. Decent culture, good executive management. Terrible pay!!!

Former Employee - Real Estate Loan Processor in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Loan Processor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Chevron FCU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Executive leadership here is above average. The CEO is a former Chevron USA exec, you can see the leadership skills from the former tenure at a publicly traded company. You can see results from viewing the annual and quarterly call reports. Management knows what they are doing, and have increased asset size significantly without taking any risky measures. The location is convenient, located close to a nice gym and steps from BART. CFCU has above average 401k matches and vesting schedules, pays for your college tuition (75% I believe), and a nice sabbatical in which you get 4 weeks off after a certain amount of time served.

Cons

The pay was not competitive and COMPLETELY terrible--barely enough to live on. There are many unskilled employees that have worked 20-years plus in the same position, and are completely happy to do so, as long as they get the cost of living increase every year and get to keep their job. No one ever gets promoted here and the culture somewhat implies that you are lucky to have the position. Great work is seldom recognized, the utmost recognition would be a promotion with additional responsibilities and more money. The work load balance is a bit skewed. On the lending side they would bend over backwards to please big wigs at Chevron USA, almost to the point Chevron USA employees obtain special preferred treatment and fees (borderline redlining).

Advice to Management

Be better at recognizing talent and promote to keep within the credit union (especially so they don't move to your competition). Be better at determining appropriate pay scales and provide competitive compensation. Don't be afraid to motivate the "lifers" to make way for better and younger talent. Perhaps offer a month of severance pay to retire early.

Jan 12, 2015VP HR

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, both pro and con. From your description and comments I'm guessing you left in 2011 or earlier. We have been working on some of the areas you mention, and employee ... More

8. I loved it there.
    the culture is profession yet relaxed

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at Chevron FCU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management really cares about the diversity of the employees. Training is thorough. There are a lot of long timers there because it's a great place to work.
    It's so convenient to get to. the commute is easy.

Cons

The daily regimen can get a bit frustrating. As with all banking call centers it is tough job to deal with some customers but for the most part it's very rewarding at the end of the day

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Thanks!

9. Big credit union, but still a very friendly place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a relatively small organization given the large amount of assets with the Credit Union, and there is a real effort made to make everyone feel included and important to the organization. With over 200 employees spread across four time zones, the Credit Union makes a good effort to bring people together, at least virtually. There are events seemingly every month celebrating a holiday or a company success. The CEO knows just about everyone by their first name. The comp and benefits are very good, and there are also some unique benefits like the sabbatical program that are very popular.

Cons

Things are always happening at the Credit Union: merger acquisitions, system enhancements, new products, etc. If you are uncomfortable with change, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Share more with staff about changes that have been made based on employee input. Staff knows that management is listening (employee surveys, department meetings with CEO, etc.), but should hear more about what management is doing about what it hears.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

Thanks for the feedback! For a $2.5 billion financial institution, we do a pretty good job of maintaining a small-company feeling.

10. A great place to work. An organization that has continued to grow through all economic instabilities.

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Due to the size of the organization you are very likely to interact in some form with every employee, or at least employees from each unit. The people are friendly, knowledgeable and professional but also know how to have fun when the occassion arises. The organization celebrates successes/milestones with the entire team. Our CEO is very down to earth and makes it a point to know every single employees name. At least twice a year, managers from every state we have a presence in our brought together to review the previous months accomplishments and upcoming initiatives. I really appreciate the emphasis placed on knowledge and the sharing of information. I've worked in places where you sometimes had no idea things were chaging until literally the day of or even the day after the change has taken affect. The salaries and benefits packages are very competitive (sabbaticals WOW!). I personally feel the Credit Union, from the top down values it's employees and the diversity we bring to the organization.

Cons

Not always enough resources to keep up with the ever growing/changing environment. We are always seeking to do things better which overall is a pro, but can be considered a con in that, in addition to normal job duties there is always competing projects and somethimes we feel the strain to keep up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, continue to support the team with initiatives such as the Leadership Training Program and always keep our member's experience at the forefront of everything we do!.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

Thanks for your feedback. It looks like other reviewers agree with you about our CEO - as I type this, he has a 100% approval rating. We are adding to our Call Center staff, which should help address ... More

11. Casual but well managed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the informality at CFCU. The company is well run (it's one of the top credit unions in the country), but management is still approachable and it's small enough that you know most everyone. My job is interesting and I'm always busy so the day flies by, which I love. The location is nice too. It is in a nice part of downtown Oakland and BART is right there.

Cons

A few of the managers (not mine) are old-school.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

So glad to hear you enjoy working here!

RSS Feed </> Embed