Chevron FCU

Updated November 25, 2014
3.2

James Mooney

I loved it there.
    the culture is profession yet relaxed

I worked at Chevron FCU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management really cares about the diversity of the employees. Training is thorough. There are a lot of long timers there because it's a great place to work.
    It's so convenient to get to. the commute is easy.

Cons

The daily regimen can get a bit frustrating. As with all banking call centers it is tough job to deal with some customers but for the most part it's very rewarding at the end of the day

Keep up the good work

Decent culture, good executive management. Terrible pay!!!

Former Employee - Real Estate Loan Processor in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Loan Processor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Chevron FCU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Executive leadership here is above average. The CEO is a former Chevron USA exec, you can see the leadership skills from the former tenure at a publicly traded company. You can see results from viewing the annual and quarterly call reports. Management knows what they are doing, and have increased asset size significantly without taking any risky measures. The location is convenient, located close to a nice gym and steps from BART. CFCU has above average 401k matches and vesting schedules, pays for your college tuition (75% I believe), and a nice sabbatical in which you get 4 weeks off after a certain amount of time served.

Cons

The pay was not competitive and COMPLETELY terrible--barely enough to live on. There are many unskilled employees that have worked 20-years plus in the same position, and are completely happy to do so, as long as they get the cost of living increase every year and get to keep their job. No one ever gets promoted here and the culture somewhat implies that you are lucky to have the position. Great work is seldom recognized, the utmost recognition would be a promotion with additional responsibilities and more money. The work load balance is a bit skewed. On the lending side they would bend over backwards to please big wigs at Chevron USA, almost to the point Chevron USA employees obtain special preferred treatment and fees (borderline redlining).

Be better at recognizing talent and promote to keep within the credit union (especially so they don't move to your competition). Be better at determining appropriate pay scales and provide competitive compensation. Don't be afraid to motivate the "lifers" to make way for better and younger talent. Perhaps offer a month of severance pay to retire early.

Big credit union, but still a very friendly place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a relatively small organization given the large amount of assets with the Credit Union, and there is a real effort made to make everyone feel included and important to the organization. With over 200 employees spread across four time zones, the Credit Union makes a good effort to bring people together, at least virtually. There are events seemingly every month celebrating a holiday or a company success. The CEO knows just about everyone by their first name. The comp and benefits are very good, and there are also some unique benefits like the sabbatical program that are very popular.

Cons

Things are always happening at the Credit Union: merger acquisitions, system enhancements, new products, etc. If you are uncomfortable with change, this may not be the place for you.

Share more with staff about changes that have been made based on employee input. Staff knows that management is listening (employee surveys, department meetings with CEO, etc.), but should hear more about what management is doing about what it hears.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

Thanks for the feedback! For a $2.5 billion financial institution, we do a pretty good job of maintaining a small-company feeling.

A great place to work. An organization that has continued to grow through all economic instabilities.

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Due to the size of the organization you are very likely to interact in some form with every employee, or at least employees from each unit. The people are friendly, knowledgeable and professional but also know how to have fun when the occassion arises. The organization celebrates successes/milestones with the entire team. Our CEO is very down to earth and makes it a point to know every single employees name. At least twice a year, managers from every state we have a presence in our brought together to review the previous months accomplishments and upcoming initiatives. I really appreciate the emphasis placed on knowledge and the sharing of information. I've worked in places where you sometimes had no idea things were chaging until literally the day of or even the day after the change has taken affect. The salaries and benefits packages are very competitive (sabbaticals WOW!). I personally feel the Credit Union, from the top down values it's employees and the diversity we bring to the organization.

Cons

Not always enough resources to keep up with the ever growing/changing environment. We are always seeking to do things better which overall is a pro, but can be considered a con in that, in addition to normal job duties there is always competing projects and somethimes we feel the strain to keep up.

Keep up the good work, continue to support the team with initiatives such as the Leadership Training Program and always keep our member's experience at the forefront of everything we do!.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

Thanks for your feedback. It looks like other reviewers agree with you about our CEO - as I type this, he has a 100% approval rating. We are adding to our Call Center staff, which should help address ... More

Casual but well managed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the informality at CFCU. The company is well run (it's one of the top credit unions in the country), but management is still approachable and it's small enough that you know most everyone. My job is interesting and I'm always busy so the day flies by, which I love. The location is nice too. It is in a nice part of downtown Oakland and BART is right there.

Cons

A few of the managers (not mine) are old-school.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

So glad to hear you enjoy working here!

horrible management, stay away from this place.

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some very nice people, solid benefits.

Cons

management philosophy creates unnecessary work, creates unhappy , dissatisfied customers, which ultimately leads to bitter, overworked, unhappy employees. intelligent , hard working , professionals are looked down upon while unsophisticated employees that brown nose will thrive in this environment. large number of same sex employees engage in very unprofessional behavior and promote reverse sexism environment. call center team lead is extremely rude and unsophisticated. call center team lead will brown nose his manager constantly , but is too much of a coward to communicate with other employees in call center. call center lead tries to bully other employees, and is able to get away with this behavior because of constant brown nosing.

one simple idea like Saturday hours , would provide customers with better service.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

Thanks for your feedback. We agree that extended Call Center hours would be a nice enhancement for our members, and we are working toward that goal. Regarding the other comments, the language in this ... More

Fun, healthy and balanced working environment.

Current Employee - Real Estate Loan Officer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Loan Officer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sorry for the long review, but I noticed that it's a bit skewed due to the reviews being posted by mostly those who were let go by the Credit Union. I wanted to offer a more balanced assessment.

1) Fun: This is a low-key, humble, and funny group of people to be with. There is a great Team Spirit Committee, comprised of VOLUNTEER EMPLOYEES, who plan monthly events that are fun, and often filled with free yummy food. We appreciate their efforts very much.

2) Nonprofit Financial Institution: The savings are passed onto our members. The rates and closing costs are excellent to the consumers/members. After 15 years of working at the larger banking conglomerates who gauge their customers, I feel very proud working for this institution that places their customers/members first.

I'm a loan officer, and unlike large banks that force the employees to be straight-commissioned slaves, we are SALARIED here.

3) GREAT location: It's nestled in City Center, and surrounded by a lot of great lunch choices. Exit 12th Street via BART, and you are there! Easy-Peezy! You don't even have to carry an umbrella on rainy days, because once you're off BART, it's just right there!

4) Management and HR: As long as you do your job, don't engage in silly gossip, treat your peers and customers with respect, it's a really AWESOME and ENJOYABLE place to work in.

The managers and HR are approachable, good mentors. I've learned a lot working with them. They acknowledge good performers quarterly, based on meritocracy and character (and not on how frequently one brown-noses or who knows the boss...Thank goodness!)

5) Work-life balance: My life is significantly much more balanced then when I worked at the large financial institutions.

6) Healthier Working Environment: Great benefits, New Facility w/Ergonomic Standing Cubicles. Massage weekly for $5 per session.

7) It is constantly merging and growing nationwide.

8) The other reviews mention the disparity between management and worker bees. I'm a worker bee too, but I do not observe this ostentatious behavior from management. It may vary in different departments, and within individual personality traits.

However, I truly believe that had the other reviewers worked at Fremont Bank, BofA, Wells Fargo, Chase, and other banks first, they would realize how fair and balanced it really is here at Chevron Federal Credit Union. I referred another loan officer colleague to work here. Although we generate significantly less income than what we used to make 4 years earlier, we genuinely LOVE it here. We smile every day, because we no longer feel obligated to work at Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo and other huge conglomerates which are burdened by their size, politics, and 70-80 hours work weeks (w/out due compensation).

Cons

I hope that my income will improve since my husband will be laid off at the end of the year through Kaiser. But as with most jobs, the salary increase will be EARNED with performance and time.

As for the senior positions, they are paid quite nicely. You can view the salary range via their career sites when the opportunities are posted.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

Wow - thanks for such nice feedback!

Overall, a great experience. I learned a great deal.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bountiful, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bountiful, UT

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff and Members were great

Cons

Board of Directors; they had no business running a credit union for the most part; no financial background; always looking out for themselves but always claiming they were doing it for the members; HOGWASH!

Don't trust anyone on the Board

Dec 20, 2013VP HR

CFCU has only had an office in Bountiful, Utah since November 2013, when it merged with ChevronWest Credit Union. Since this reviewer indicates tenure of over a year, it appears that this review ... More

A tight knit group who are passionate about their job

I worked at Chevron FCU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with great people and get great benefits! It is a small but growing company and you will run into the CEO at times. You also will get the chance to speak to him at times. Since it is a Credit Union, you do have the opportunity to get member account which will allow you to take advantage of loans and credit cards. Did I mention it is right next to BART?

Cons

Since it is a smaller company, employees in specific positions does not move up, leaving employees stuck on the bottom. Next to City Hall, which is a hub for protest! Not a good idea to drive to work since parking is very expensive.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

In addition to chatting with employees in the lunchroom and halls, our CEO meets with every department each year - and he takes to heart the feedback employees give him. We have moved our offices so ... More

the call center is a SWEATSHOP!

I have been working at Chevron FCU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

solid benefits , most of the employees are nice people.

Cons

The call center in Oakland is a SWEATSHOP! seriously there are jobs where you will do 1/3 the amount of work and make just as much if not more money! the CFCU call center is completely disorganized and dysfunctional. there is no teamwork, no training and no communication allowed between or within departments. the general mode of procedure is to create unnecessary work and over think many simple problems. many issues that should be handled by other departments are DUMPED! on the call center. team leaders can be very 'CREEPY', act as bullies and offer no assistance when called upon. the environment is very high school , and many employees are unsophisticated, just read some of the other reviews. the general culture is 'dont bother me'. large number of women and same sex employees promote biased, borderline reverse sexism environment. notice the pros in the positive reviews dont have anything to do with work? if you want to work in a SWEATSHOP, then this place is for you.

managers are not open to advice. in fact suggestions , communication , and thinking are looked down upon by managers.

Jul 9, 2014VP HR

Interesting feedback. The Credit Union is an inclusive employer, so if someone objects to working with a large number of women and gay employees, this is not the right wrokplace for them.