Chevron

Chevron Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily(in 122 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good(in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network(in 12 reviews)

137 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Reservoir Simulation Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Stability
    Work and life balance
    Family programs

ConsSlow growth
    Lots of paperwork and formalities
    Strict policies and rules
    Hard to get international assignments

Executive Assistant

Executive Assistant/Contract (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood career, excellent engineers, teamwork environment. Always different projects to work on and thought out and multiple.

ConsChevron is very large, can be a little difficult to change and current project seem to be either to short or to long with out being told at the beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more informative about the length of the project at the beginning of your interview and your on boarding with the company. Other than that the Company is excellent.

Great company with lots of benefits. They still offer a pension.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsChevron will provide lots of career development and allow you to go as far up the chain as you can.

They have flex work schedules . Work 40 hours in 9 days.

ConsLots of processes to follow .
    Competition with other employees is fierce. You have to do everything perfect, on time, on budget and always. Pay raises are based on comparative ranking with other employees. Even if you perform 100%, if another employee delivers 110%, then you will not get the raise. The 110% performance then becomes the new benchmark to beat.

Every action is worthy of analyzing to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer free food.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Compay, really cares for its people.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDiversity is truly embraced. The Chevron Way is a positively enforced moral code. Flexible work schedules are a major plus.

ConsNo major cons for me.

Best company I ever worked for

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompany encourages each employee to take charge of their career and move around within company

ConsGetting employed at company takes time and determination

Great place to work.

Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros9-80 work week. Good compensation. Bonuses based on performance. Recognition of efforts is good. Company is full of professional folks trying to do a good job. Extensive focus on safety and best practices.

ConsTypical political empire building that occurs in all large companies. Saw a couple of very unfair mistreatments of employees for political ends. While most of management was fair, these two incidents were not.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should have more feedback mechanisms to warn of and act on unproductive mid-management politics that do not serve the best interests of the employees, the company, and ultimately the stockholders.

Great place to work

Facilities Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLots of opportunity to work on big capital projects. Each person has alot of room for advancement at their pace according to ability. Good work / life balance emphasized by my supervisors and managers. Everyon's safety is a priority in all things done both in the office and in the field. Great retirement plan although it is alittle less great for newer employees starting out now, at lease it is stable and solvent. Medial plans available are better than many places.

ConsYou are stuck awhile if you get a bad supervisor. Less flexibility being an employee versus a contractor employee.

Engineer

Facilities Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSafety oriented, Good work and balance..

ConsI don't see any significant cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease actively allow people to have equal opportunities to contribute more value to the company.

The Chevron Way makes a difference

Earth Scientist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMultiple career paths with a variety of opportunities to grow. Intellectually stimulating work that has an impact. Intelligent people who treat each other with respect. Chevron "walks the talk" regarding our values and the Chevron Way.

ConsThe decision-making process can drive some people batty, but the result is good decisions overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the strong culture, especially as long-timers prepare to retire and new people join Chevron's work force.

A great company to work for

Information Management Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere's a reason Chevron ranks in the top 10 for best companies to work for. Good benefits like matching 401K, a retirement pension, they even allow their employees to give others monetary awards and recognition for appreciation. Unlike other companies that like to keep you at your job if you're good at it, Chevron encourages their employees to move around the company and develop your business acumen to be more well rounded. The work life balance is very good and I think for the most part, Chevron tries to develop a very good professional working environment with all the behavioral training that they do.

ConsI can definitely see if being a bit competitive when it comes time to move positions. Chevron is always restructuring and making strategic moves to better their position in the industry so if you get too comfortable in your job, you'll be left behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone has a different career path at Chevron and you can choose either to be in individual contributor or go the management route, it's up to you. Obviously when you're dealing with a large company like Chevron, there's always politics in play but I don't think anyone values or does more for their people than Chevron does.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!