Chevron Phillips Chemical

Chevron Phillips Chemical Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Chevron Phillips Chemical President and CEO Peter (Pete) Cella

Peter (Pete) Cella

Pros:
  • "I truly feel like my need for a work-life balance is valued, and that"
    in 6 reviews
  • "My pay and benefits are very competitive with my friends/colleagues who work in my field at other companies"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Performance Management still needs improvements regarding communicating employee's career path in company"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Work life balance is given, but at the price of not advancing in your career"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Do Not Work Here Its a Career Ending Job

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    The Woodlands, TX

ProsWe think were on the right track ..

ConsAlthogh they have a divesity program, minorities are trated like 2nd class citizens, Too many managers, all are grey haired while males in their sixties, they only care about themselvs, You are throwing

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit throwing away the stock holders money on problems you create ...

It’s nice to look forward to work on a Sunday night...

The Woodlands, TX

ProsI’m a relatively new employee (been here a little over a year), and I’m really enjoying working at Chevron Phillips. My pay and benefits are very competitive with my friends/colleagues who work in my field at other companies. My job is interesting and stimulating, but I feel like I have adequate resources to do my job. I’ve worked at two other companies – one small company and one giant corporation – and the thing that stands out the most to me so far about Chevron Phillips is the family atmosphere (at least that I’ve noticed at my location). The company even has what they call a “fun committee” whose sole purpose is to plan fun activities for employees during work hours, like a tailgate party during football season and a barbeque lunch during Rodeo season. I truly feel like my need for a work-life balance is valued, and that’s something that’s really important to me. As for the culture of the company, what I’ve noticed so far is that there is indeed a strong safety culture.

ConsI haven’t worked here long enough to have anything to complain about, but I’ve heard some employees say it would be nice to have more training.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn an industry that will soon struggle to fill all of the open positions, I think CPChem is well positioned to hire the best of the best. Although the bonuses we receive are huge, it will also be important to make sure that employees’ base pay remains on par with the other leading companies in our industry.

Great Company Name - Poor People Environment

IT Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGreat brand
    9/80 work schedule + competitive salary and benefits (within chemical industry)

ConsIn their own words this company is too lean and too mean, managers do not have leadership skills, they do not know the basics, and the HR department does not do anything about that. Actually they are (HR) the most unskilled people. New management in the surface, but the same old characters in the bottom. Weird culture, or non culture, and forget about core values, they do not exist. Lack off development opportunities, and the HR employee development department its only a name, its manager only is aware of senior executives, does not have any offering for the people that generate the revenue or is in the front line. The only thing that you can breath is fear

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Name - no the same with the work environment

BDM (Former Employee)

Pros9/80 work schedule, Benefits package

ConsUnskilled management, HQ location is the worst place to work. They roll out fake employee opinion survey, supposed to be anonymous, but they with their vendor deliver the survey with an individual IP address and password. They pretent to be a Best place to work, so far from that, we they have not defined core values. No training, no development, culture of punishment, no inclusion. At the of each week the only thing that you can say is " I survived" even with the 9/80. Too bad CPChem

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to the basics

Good Place to Work

Chemical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros9/80 work schedule. Most folks take their day off consistently.
    Work/Life balance recognized though management-level folks definitely do more
    Company has a sincere safety focus above all else
    Growing Company with good financial outlook and performance

ConsNot well established engineering career path, careers not "managed" well. Most folks are largely on their own.
    Not good technical career path for those who are not chosen as leaders and/or that do not wish to supervise

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better career and performance management, but otherwise doing a good job.

Not such a good place to work

Professional (Former Employee)

Pros9/80,work schedule
    Compensation and benefits
    Good IT platform
    Within the plants the environment is better than HQ

ConsBig efforts on diversity and inclusion, but they are not inclusive at all
    9/80 work schedule it's not enough to compensate the stress and burnout
    Micro managers
    Culture of finger pointing and fear

Downhill slide since the joint venture occured

Pasadena, TX

ProsCompetitive, not excellent, pay
    Good place to gain experience

ConsNo loyalty from management
    Everthing is "need to know"
    Iron fist management culture

Advice to Senior ManagementMost people want to do the right thing. Don't always expect your employees to try and cheat. Listen to the people who make the plastic more than the people who count the beans.

How to succeed at CPChem

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    Sweeny, TX

ProsSafety culture seems real. Co-workers are quite helpful. work schedule is easy.

ConsNot a good place to stand out. The "go get-em" mentality is actively discouraged. Go with the flow, don't make waves, and don't offer any ideas that will require a change to the status quo. Money is made by the process, so it is not in management's best interest to alter anything. Middle management is quite happy with mediocrity (Long lunch breaks, 10 minutes late to work every day, stand around talking, mediocre reports with poor speeling, etc). If you don't hide your drive for success, you'll be viewed as a threat. HR will give you instructions like "Call us in two weeks to discuss future employment" and then they will call you on the phone accusing you of harassing the plant for phone calls that you didn't make. Can you spell "Mom-and-Pop-shop"

The Future - CPChem recruits my school heavily, but most of the good students are steering clear of HR abuse while all the poor students are hoping to work there so they can get paid to be lazy - they actually say this!

Advice to Senior ManagementOf all companies those with growth aspirations can least afford to keep mediocre performers. Mediocre performers stunt the growth of the company, of its people, and of its profits.

Micromanaging culture, very stifling

The Woodlands, TX

ProsHouston area location, moderate cost of living

ConsPoor work life balance, no telecommuting, unde budgeted departments, over extended staff, antiquated processes, insular minded people

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in new people, expand the diversity of thought leadership, update policies to compete w leading companies. Do what it takes to do what you say you want to become

The company itself is an excellent place to be; however, the Pasadena plant is not

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pasadena, TX

ProsSpecific to Company overall:
    - Making significant profits and is rapidly growing
    - Values their new incoming engineers, especially Chemical engineers
    - Tons of career advancement opportunities
    - Have access to some of the best in the industry
    - Well supported by parent companies (Chevron + Phillips 66)

ConsSpecific to Pasadena plant:
    - Unions force the company to retain incompetent and highly unmotivated employees
    - Site management is a mix of a few good managers with very terrible ones

Worked for Chevron Phillips Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron Phillips Chemical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chevron Phillips Chemical CEO Peter (Pete) Cella. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Chevron Phillips Chemical employees.