Chevron Phillips Chemical

Chevron Phillips Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Chevron Phillips Chemical President and CEO Peter (Pete) Cella

Peter (Pete) Cella

Pros
  • Work/Life balance recognized though management-level folks definitely do more(in 7 reviews)

• My pay and benefits are very competitive with my friends/colleagues who work in my field at other companies(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance Management still needs improvements regarding communicating employee's career path in company(in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance is given, but at the price of not advancing in your career(in 3 reviews)

Great company with a lot to offer!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baytown, TX

ProsThe growth of this company is outstanding. To get in at the bottom is a great experience. Very family oriented and work life balance is outstanding. Always felt included and respected. I have so many good things to say about this company but not enough time to type it.!

ConsJust the typical cons most businesses are dealing with now. The influx of young talent and mass exit of the experience. The only problem i see if the requirements for joining this company... they should not be so narrow minded to think that just because you have a degree means your the perfect fit for the job. Experience should be considered and take presidence over a degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing and dont loose the family feel of the plant. Its a big challenge with all the changes but stick to the roots. We have a great thing going on now.

Good place to start

Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAwesome development program for new engineers. 9/80 work schedule

ConsLess pay then parent companies. Management mandates tasks without considering resources. You'll be working 13hr days.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify product lines. Ethylene is too cyclic to depend on.

SAP HR Analyst

SAP Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsFriendly management, Good pay, Excellent work-life balance, unlimited sick time, retro vacation eligibility

ConsWork can be monotonous at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros9/80 schedule (every other friday is off) is great. You can move to a variety of positions in many different locations early on. Hard working but generally laid-back atmosphere. Lots of training and opportunities to learn from more experienced people once you get used to the system. As of 2013, they are eager to send engineers to Saudi Arabia (other international locations exist as well) if you are interested in living internationally.

ConsBecause they are growing so quickly, sometimes the organization and direction for incoming engineers feels sloppy and underdeveloped. You must be very pro-active and work outside of your responsiblities if you want to make the most of your time.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in having structures for incoming engineers. Specifically more job shadowing.

Baytown, Texas (Current Employee)

Pros9/80 Work Schedule, every other Friday off (when not asked to work it), 401k & pension.

ConsExcessive micromanagement. Little training offered for new employees due to coping with the pace of change. Lack of commitment to career growth to retain the talent the company has. Work life balance is given, but at the price of not advancing in your career. Working unnormal has become an expected normal. There is the sale of Diversity & Inclusion the sale of Career Ladder Growth & Opportunity, but there is no follow through on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hinder employees who do not want to work constantly from growing in their careers. Stop talking a big talk to develop current employees, but ulitmaltely take contradicotry actions. Develop a better training for new employees to prevent thier being set up for failure. Hire more people to accomodate the rate of growth.

Great benefits, Decent work experience

Pros9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off), 401k profit sharing and contribution matching, pension, high salary relative to other engineering fields, job stability, relocation compensation

ConsWork is not very exciting or challenging, guidance for new employees is lacking, a few of the locations are in "undesirable" locations (Borger, Orange, Port Arthur)

Advice to Senior ManagementA few managers are more concerned with their work than actually managing their employees

Expertise of Chevron and Phillips 66 with the feel of a much smaller company

ProsChevron Phillips offers great compensation, good benefits, work life balance, and has a 401k matching program along with a pension program. In addition, there are benefits which the company inherits from Chevron and Phillips 66.

ConsGeographic location of some sites leaves more to be desired. Performance Management still needs improvements regarding communicating employee's career path in company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost people don't want to live in Borger, TX unless they are from the area. Same goes with Orange, Port Arthur, and Sweeny to an extent.

neutral

Buyer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood pay and benefits, nice bonuses and raises, pension, 401k company match

Consoffice culture, very poor management, poor management culture and techniques, no management oversight to how lower level managers treat their employees, no ethics environment for bringing issues forward if management is terrible

Advice to Senior Managementhelp your employees grow, don't hinder them because you're stuck in a box!!

Great place to work

Finance (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsGreat team work, very professional work groups

ConsWorking through challenges of growth

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue open communications with employees

No respect for life/family balance

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGrowing company, good salaries and benefits

ConsLack of seasoned management, high pressure climate

Worked for Chevron Phillips Chemical? Contribute to the Community!