Chevron Phillips Chemical

Updated January 13, 2015
3.7

Chevron Phillips Chemical President and CEO Peter Cella
Peter Cella

Pros
  • They are employee focused and strive to have a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, Benefits package (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is given, but at the price of not advancing in your career (in 5 reviews)

• Performance Management still needs improvements regarding communicating employee's career path in company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company for fresh graduates The worse company for experienced

Current Employee - Chem Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Chem Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Welcomes the new generation with energy
    Good Salaries
    Good Benefits

Cons

They forget diversity and inclusion, they have done big efforts in this arena, however they are not inclusive at all with the minorities, Hispanics - discrimination based not only in the ethnicity also in the accent of your English -
    Management is crazy.....Micromanage is their culture at least at HQ.
    They have 9/80 work schedule, that does not work for the level of stress that you are exposed to
    Leadership is arrogant and mean
    Their success depends on the gas prices....

Go back to the basics needs of the people!

Chevron Phillips is an exceptional employer!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Chevron Phillips has excellent benefits and great people.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say.

CPChem has been good to me and continues to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Have been able to define and grow my current job. Training has been made available and job and company is growing.

Cons

The current job is more than one person can accomplish and help is always "on the way". One day, "on the way" may not be soon enough to stay ahead of the required work.

Don't let the "new projects" steal all the best talent.

very attentive to individual goals and development

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical as an intern

Pros

I had a wonderful experience with this company. Everyone is really friendly and likes their job. They have cohesive and encouraging atmosphere. They are also growing rapidly due to the shale gas boom and it is a great career choice to come work at CPChem.

Cons

none that I have noticed for a company of this size

Keep expanding to global markets and continue to grow. The safety culture is great and continue to sustain the campaigns for safety as well as diversity and inclusion. I find them to be effective and the employees are willing to always participate.

Dilbert works here

Former Employee - Process Engineering Intern in Sweeny, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineering Intern in Sweeny, TX

I worked at Chevron Phillips Chemical as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Safety conscious, laid back, freedom to work without micromanagement

Cons

HR is out of control crazy. They may call you up one day and accuse you of harassing the plant manager (whom you've never called) and tell you to stop at once. When you inform them that they are factually mistaken there seems to be a disconnect. They have absolutely no imagination. Mid-level managers care little for the health of the company. They care only of getting next promotion so they can move to a company with more pay.
    They will only pay 'industry average' but somehow think this will get them the 'best workforce'.

Avoid incentives traps. They're starting t pop up.

Process Engineer

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid growth chemical company with parents that have deep pockets

Cons

Training could be improved. Salaries and promotions stagnate

Remember what makes you and the company successful - your people

Growing fast, but did not plan well for the growth.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities available. They'll move you around fast. Building lots in the US.

Cons

No technical career ladder, flat organization. Lots of experience leaving the company for better paying companies. Replacing experience with recent college graduates and struggling a bit to get best candidates due to stiff competition from bigger petrochemical competitors.

Pay more attention to hiring and retaining experience. Develop a technical career ladder.

Pays well, but super boring.

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

• It is a billion dollar company, and feels like it.
    • They pay phenomenally well
    • Perks aren't bad
    • If you're an engineer, which I was not, this is probably a very interesting place to work.

Cons

• Very very monotonous
    • Not great work/life balance

Pay closer attention to your employees wants and needs -- as cliche as that may sound.

Great company headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is involved and genuinely interested in the people that work for the company. For the most part, the people I've worked with are very competent and like what they do. It's a big company but with the personality of a small company.

Cons

Being global it's hard for those outside of the U.S. to feel attached to the company. Pay isn't as competitve as larger chemical companies (ExxonMobil, Shell, etc.) but it's decent. There isn't a lot of growth for my particular field, but for engineers it's a good place to be.

It’s nice to look forward to work on a Sunday night...

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I’m a relatively new employee (been here a little over a year), and I’m really enjoying working at Chevron Phillips. My pay and benefits are very competitive with my friends/colleagues who work in my field at other companies. My job is interesting and stimulating, but I feel like I have adequate resources to do my job. I’ve worked at two other companies – one small company and one giant corporation – and the thing that stands out the most to me so far about Chevron Phillips is the family atmosphere (at least that I’ve noticed at my location). The company even has what they call a “fun committee” whose sole purpose is to plan fun activities for employees during work hours, like a tailgate party during football season and a barbeque lunch during Rodeo season. I truly feel like my need for a work-life balance is valued, and that’s something that’s really important to me. As for the culture of the company, what I’ve noticed so far is that there is indeed a strong safety culture.

Cons

I haven’t worked here long enough to have anything to complain about, but I’ve heard some employees say it would be nice to have more training.

In an industry that will soon struggle to fill all of the open positions, I think CPChem is well positioned to hire the best of the best. Although the bonuses we receive are huge, it will also be important to make sure that employees’ base pay remains on par with the other leading companies in our industry.

Chevron Phillips Chemical Photos