Chevron Phillips Chemical

Updated November 12, 2014
3.8

Chevron Phillips Chemical President and CEO Peter Cella
Peter Cella

Pros
  • They are employee focused and strive to have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, Benefits package (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is given, but at the price of not advancing in your career (in 5 reviews)

• Performance Management still needs improvements regarding communicating employee's career path in company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

very attentive to individual goals and development

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical as an intern

Pros

I had a wonderful experience with this company. Everyone is really friendly and likes their job. They have cohesive and encouraging atmosphere. They are also growing rapidly due to the shale gas boom and it is a great career choice to come work at CPChem.

Cons

none that I have noticed for a company of this size

Keep expanding to global markets and continue to grow. The safety culture is great and continue to sustain the campaigns for safety as well as diversity and inclusion. I find them to be effective and the employees are willing to always participate.

Process Engineer

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid growth chemical company with parents that have deep pockets

Cons

Training could be improved. Salaries and promotions stagnate

Remember what makes you and the company successful - your people

Dilbert works here

Former Employee - Process Engineering Intern in Sweeny, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineering Intern in Sweeny, TX

I worked at Chevron Phillips Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Safety conscious, laid back, freedom to work without micromanagement

Cons

HR is out of control crazy. They may call you up one day and accuse you of harassing the plant manager (whom you've never called) and tell you to stop at once. When you inform them that they are factually mistaken there seems to be a disconnect. They have absolutely no imagination. Mid-level managers care little for the health of the company. They care only of getting next promotion so they can move to a company with more pay.
    They will only pay 'industry average' but somehow think this will get them the 'best workforce'.

Avoid incentives traps. They're starting t pop up.

Growing fast, but did not plan well for the growth.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities available. They'll move you around fast. Building lots in the US.

Cons

No technical career ladder, flat organization. Lots of experience leaving the company for better paying companies. Replacing experience with recent college graduates and struggling a bit to get best candidates due to stiff competition from bigger petrochemical competitors.

Pay more attention to hiring and retaining experience. Develop a technical career ladder.

Pays well, but super boring.

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

• It is a billion dollar company, and feels like it.
    • They pay phenomenally well
    • Perks aren't bad
    • If you're an engineer, which I was not, this is probably a very interesting place to work.

Cons

• Very very monotonous
    • Not great work/life balance

Pay closer attention to your employees wants and needs -- as cliche as that may sound.

Great company headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is involved and genuinely interested in the people that work for the company. For the most part, the people I've worked with are very competent and like what they do. It's a big company but with the personality of a small company.

Cons

Being global it's hard for those outside of the U.S. to feel attached to the company. Pay isn't as competitve as larger chemical companies (ExxonMobil, Shell, etc.) but it's decent. There isn't a lot of growth for my particular field, but for engineers it's a good place to be.

Do Not Work Here Its a Career Ending Job

Current Employee - IT Analyst in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We think were on the right track ..

Cons

Althogh they have a divesity program, minorities are trated like 2nd class citizens, Too many managers, all are grey haired while males in their sixties, they only care about themselvs, You are throwing

Quit throwing away the stock holders money on problems you create ...

It’s nice to look forward to work on a Sunday night...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I’m a relatively new employee (been here a little over a year), and I’m really enjoying working at Chevron Phillips. My pay and benefits are very competitive with my friends/colleagues who work in my field at other companies. My job is interesting and stimulating, but I feel like I have adequate resources to do my job. I’ve worked at two other companies – one small company and one giant corporation – and the thing that stands out the most to me so far about Chevron Phillips is the family atmosphere (at least that I’ve noticed at my location). The company even has what they call a “fun committee” whose sole purpose is to plan fun activities for employees during work hours, like a tailgate party during football season and a barbeque lunch during Rodeo season. I truly feel like my need for a work-life balance is valued, and that’s something that’s really important to me. As for the culture of the company, what I’ve noticed so far is that there is indeed a strong safety culture.

Cons

I haven’t worked here long enough to have anything to complain about, but I’ve heard some employees say it would be nice to have more training.

In an industry that will soon struggle to fill all of the open positions, I think CPChem is well positioned to hire the best of the best. Although the bonuses we receive are huge, it will also be important to make sure that employees’ base pay remains on par with the other leading companies in our industry.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong committment to safety and the environment. Good company culture with dedicated leadership and employees who care about the company and their coworkers. Need for work-life balance is recognized and realized in most cases, although will shift more towards the "work" side as one climbs the corporate ladder.

Cons

Very flat organization, opportunities for promotion limited in some disciplines once one reaches 15-20 yrs experience. Formal training prgrams limited unless you are deemed "high potential."

Great Company Name - Poor People Environment

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron Phillips Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand
    9/80 work schedule + competitive salary and benefits (within chemical industry)

Cons

In their own words this company is too lean and too mean, managers do not have leadership skills, they do not know the basics, and the HR department does not do anything about that. Actually they are (HR) the most unskilled people. New management in the surface, but the same old characters in the bottom. Weird culture, or non culture, and forget about core values, they do not exist. Lack off development opportunities, and the HR employee development department its only a name, its manager only is aware of senior executives, does not have any offering for the people that generate the revenue or is in the front line. The only thing that you can breath is fear

Chevron Phillips Chemical Photos