Chevron

Chevron Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros:
  • "The company culture respects human nature and truely emphasize work-life balance"
    in 111 reviews
  • "9/80 Work schedule - every 2nd Friday off"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good"
    in 12 reviews
  • "On top of that there is a good ole boy network that is on steroids"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I've worked at the rest and this is the best.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 8 years

ProsChevron respects their employees and empowers us to create the career we want in the long term. It's a company that wants employees to work here for 30+ year careers and tries very hard to place you in opportunities where you will be successful. When there are re-orgs, the company works hard to prevent mass layoffs and takes careful steps to ensure that as many people are found jobs rather than kicking them to the curb as some other companies do.

As a project manager, I find their project methodology, CPDEP, to be one of the best. Most project professionals I work with utilize this process as it's intended; a framework for successful projects.

We are well-paid and have a great work/life balance.

ConsDepending on the project or department you are in, it can get quite 'political.' The fact that the company is reluctant to fire people is a double-edged sword. In other words, there are some managers who don't practice the collaborative "Chevron Way" yet get to keep their positions.

The PMP process (internal ranking of employees) could stand to show more visibility in the process. I suspect it's more "political" then they make it out to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the long-term vision you've been doing. It's refreshing to have leadership that wants the company to be successful over the next 30+ years rather just looking to boost the next quarter or two so they can get a bigger bonus before they parachute into a different company. I like the fact that pretty much all the senior leaders are promoted from within and have a long-term understanding of the culture.

Great experience for the resume!

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere! They care so much that you have ALL the tools to do the job you're hired for. The job is challenging enough to keep you interested but not impossible.

ConsAs a contractor, I get strung along for the "full-time possibility" ride. Not much team cohesion.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because there are young team members, doesn't mean that you can take advantage of their future by stringing them along month to month. Make a move if you want contractors to stay.

Employer of choice

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEveryone likes their job and Chevron creates a workplace that makes going to work okay.

ConsThe good old boy network is alive and well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to relate to a younger workforce.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

6-1/2 Year Current Employee

Deepwater Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReasonable pay and good benefits, option to change jobes every few years to broaden your career. Stable environment, great people.

ConsWork/life balance not bad, but doesn't live up to their rhetoric.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forthcoming and follow your public line.

Senior leadership represents the values of the company, including valuing employee development.

Research Geoscientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI was able to direct my first job change, both timing and destination.
Diverse earth science functions and opportunity.
Great company culture with resources for employees to back the company values.
Opportunities to guide your won career and job rotations.

ConsInternal networking and collaboration is hampered by billable time structure within the earth science profession.
Best starting benefits are reserved for people who came through the internship pipeline. Internships or work experience at other companies is not always given the weight it deserves.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Chevron seeks to hire a diverse work force they need to do a better job of recognizing the skills and needs of that work force. Place less emphasis on "directly related industry experience" for advanced degree applicants. Interviews should never be with all male or all female review teams. We need an ombuds like system in place to report on behavior to prevent negative personalities from ascending to team lead positions.

Great company

Commercial Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than 10 years

Prosability to progress and worldwide opportunities

Conshave to move at times to progress

A great corporate America experience, but keep in mind, this is Big Oil

Compliance Analyst (Former Employee)
San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits, salary, professional development, career prospects, international and multicultural exposure. It is a huge company that has been there for ever and will be there for a long long time. Most of the executives come from inside which tells you they have been in the shoes of lower rank members. They are not there for the bonuses in the next few years but they are truly committed to the long term success of the company (which also helps their bonuses, of course, but you get my point)

ConsCareer prospects often depend on your disposition to move around, domestically and internationally.
You own your career. If you are not proactive seeking career development they are not going to give it to you. They value employees that are professional and grown-ups.
Sometimes the "buddy system" affects you. And sometimes you would feel HR employees aren't either "human" nor "resources" (you own your career, remember that)

A corporation that develops their employees in a collaborative environment

Drill Site Manager (Offshore Engineer) (Current Employee)
Covington, LA

I have been working at Chevron full-time for more than a year

ProsChevron is great about developing their employees and training is an essential part of the job (especially for new comers). The work environment is very colaborative and Chevron encourages team work and helping each other out. Jobs change every 2-3 years keeping work exciting and engaging. I feel comfortable that I will be supported by my company if I report any unethical behavior. They also care alot about safety (almost too much). They try to promote a healthy work-life balance. Oh, and HIGHLY competetive pay.

ConsIt is still a corporation. Its easy to be forgotten (especially if you work offshore like I do) so it is important that you take the steps to gain recognition.
ie At my yearly evaluation meeting, my surpervisor thought I was someone else despite my constant discussion and meetings with him.

Contract Staffing Coordinator

Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee)
San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor for more than a year

ProsChevron has awsome benefits and a lifetime career opportunity

ConsMost of the positions are in Houston, Texas

Excellent Beginning for First Full time Job

Covington, LA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern for less than a year

ProsHaving started my Chevron internship with no prior industry experience, I was worried about being unable to keep up with expectations and demands. But Chevron's emphasis on personal career growth and treating employees as individuals rather than cogs, helped make my internship a fulfilling experience. Now as a full time employee, I'm glad to be a part of a workplace where work is challenging and colleagues form a support network rather than competitors.

ConsEspecially when new hires or interns are just starting off, it's sometimes hard to understand how our individual project or teams relate to the larger business unit goals or needs. Incorporating that discussion into some aspect of training would be helpful.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chevron CEO John S. Watson. All 542 reviews posted anonymously by Chevron employees.