Chevron

Chevron Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 123 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Alumni of HR Leadership Development plan and current HR Business Partner

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)

ProsGreat compensation and benefits. Strong company culture that truly values employees in all countries / cultures. Long-term employment encouraged and backed by great retirement benefits.

ConsEnormous company filled with old-school mentality, slow moving process driven mentality and it's fair share of bureaucracy. Populous workforce allows sandbagging and stymies creativity. Stability fosters complacency.

Amazing

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI love the hours and the people and the safety

ConsNone that I know of. It's a good company to work for.

Chevron really develops their employees

IT Professional (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExcellent benefits, lots of opportunities to work for different business units. Great people, very concerned about health and well being. Their college hire program (Horizons) ensures college recruits are exposed to multiple aspects of the corporation and get plenty of training.

ConsProjects can move slow at times, with more meetings and required approvals than maybe necessary. It can result in deadlines being crunched once work is actually started and the planning is completed. Once out of Horizons training opportunities become less common and it can be difficult to move for career development as later positions often expect 5+ years of experience in the role (bit of a catch-22).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality company with great opportunities

IT Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsChevron is a very well run company with executives who actively engage employees and a very long term focus. The company provides a breadth of opportunities for people who perform well and are interested in trying new things. Chevron has been emphasizing getting the right results the right way for decades and their culture reflects this. It's collaborative and transparent ... and genuinely "nice," sometimes to a fault. Not for everyone but it is a very welcoming place to work.

ConsAs a large corporation, sometimes too much focus on process and the culture means that sometimes conflict doesn't get surfaced when it needs to.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stay focused on the long term.

Enjoyed my time in Chevron

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brea, CA

ProsGreat place to work
    Company has high standards
    High quality employees
    great benefits

ConsSeemed like they had a re-org every year
    Still has a "good old boy" network, so there are some in leadership that were given jobs they definitely weren't competent for. Luckily the good far outweigh the bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those people that deserve it on MERIT and ABILITIES, not just because they agreed to transfer several times and you feel obligated! Thats how you lose great talent!

Great place for engineers, I personally did not like the culture of the industry in general.

Drilling and Completions Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsSafety based culture of the company, pay, benefits, career development.

ConsTradition based thinking, especially when working directly in the field.

Great company to work for

Reservoir Simulation Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Stability
    Work and life balance
    Family programs

ConsSlow growth
    Lots of paperwork and formalities
    Strict policies and rules
    Hard to get international assignments

Executive Assistant

Executive Assistant/Contract (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood career, excellent engineers, teamwork environment. Always different projects to work on and thought out and multiple.

ConsChevron is very large, can be a little difficult to change and current project seem to be either to short or to long with out being told at the beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more informative about the length of the project at the beginning of your interview and your on boarding with the company. Other than that the Company is excellent.

Good

ProsGood environment and easy work to do on a day-to-day basis

ConsThere are many but life and work balance is difficult in the job can sometimes be dangerous

Human Energy

HES Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat upward mobility for mid-career level employees. It sounds odd, but the Company's heart is in the right place when it comes to energy extraction. The host nation benefits enormously monetarily and humanitarianly.

Cons"Open Office" is miserable and stagnates productivity. Each office is not void of the usual politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess is more sometimes when it comes to processes including safety processes.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!