Chevron
www.chevron.com San Ramon, CA 5000+ Employees

Chevron Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "The company culture respects human nature and truely emphasize work-life balance"
    in 106 reviews
  • "9/80 Work schedule - every 2nd Friday off"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good work life balance is empahsized and encouraged but often not the norm if working in a process facility"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Culture

I have been working at Chevron

ProsConsensus building culture and team oriented. Building long relationships is important.

ConsLarge bureaucratic organization but that is natural for any organization of this size.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide transparent communication to employees.

Financial Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chevron

ProsGreat salary, great hours, great environment, great location. Could potentially get the chance to see and work on some very interesting things.

ConsA lot of the people have been here for 15+ years, so hard to feel comfortable in the beginning since everybody knows everybody already. Also, promotions are based on seniority primarily, so if you want to advance quickly, not the place no matter how hard you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to evaluate managers and give feedback on them as well. Reconsider how promotions are awarded, we understand time and experience is important but management should be up to date on technology and be flexible to the changing environment of the workplace.

Job security and a great place to work

I have been working at Chevron

ProsJob security, great bonuses, all over the world

Consdifficult to get noticed by higher management

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership

Fairly Good Employer

I have been working at Chevron

Pros- Good safety culture, although sometimes people take it too far.
- Relatively good pay, nice bonus during good years.

Cons- Job uncertainty due to outsourcing

Advice to Senior ManagementTry your best to provide constructive feedback on where employees can improve. It can be hard to swallow but good for their development.

Accountability

Contracts Administrator (Current Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Chevron

ProsThey offer great benefits package and very competitive salaries.

ConsThe company is too large that they have forgotten employees at the lower pay grade. Acknowledge and promote employees who shows effort and desires to succeed rather than hiring someone off the street.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefrain from playing favoritism and enforce accountability.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Chevron

ProsThe culture of the company and the people you work with make this company a great place to work for. The company tries to meet your needs personally and at work. The compensation is also to be better of then the competitors. I believe this this is a great company to work for.

ConsIf you are a business major, it is hard to advance. It may be difficult to change departments within the company. If you are a finance major, try to stay out of the accounting department. Although this is a great starting department, it is hard to move up or out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give younger employees a chance to shine in the company for better opportunities within the company.

Great company but due to its size also a slow to react company

Global Category Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron

ProsConstant change in job responsibilites yet the stability of a Fortune 5 company

Consan extreemly colloborative approach to everything which tends to slow things down to a crawl at times

Advice to Senior Managementwe need to use CPDEP appropriately. Maybe a CPDEP lite should be developed.

Chevron - A great place to start!

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Chevron

ProsChevron is a great company with many different areas of operations. We are in the oil and gas industry, but we still are still a huge international organization, so even if you're not an engineer, we still have positions for you!

Over the course of your career, you'll get to learn many different things both about the oil and gas industry and also just about your current position and skills. Chevron promotes trainings in all types of skills needed in order to do your job to the best of your abilities.

Since Chevron is such a large organization, there are many different job opportunities in many different parts of the world. This creates a sense of having multiple careers with the same company!

Chevron has VERY flexible schedules. First off, most employees in most areas work a 9/80 schedule. This means that you work 9 hours / day Mon - Thurs, 8 hours on Friday, and then every other Friday you have off!

For the most part, there is no set time that you need to be "at work." For the most part, the unspoken rule is to show up by 9:00 am...but if you are not able to and you show up at 10:00 am, as long as you work your full 9 hours, no one cares when you come in (unless you have morning meetings...of course).

ConsSince Chevron is such a big company, there are a lot of politics in terms of raises, salaries, promotions, etc. Your peers are rated against you and that's how management determines if you will get a raise or not. So...if everyone in your team is great at what they do and so are you...you might not get as big of a raise simply because you don't stand out as much.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on your meals and do not just purchase items simply you "can."

Great place

Logistics Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron

ProsSafety conscious company. Challenging work environment. Great coworkers and team values are encouraged.

Conslow salary. Growth is slow

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more cognizant of effective employees. Caste system should be eliminated considering that all are potential risks and this just contradicts the image that the company is trying to project.

Chevron, a very comfortable place to work.

Geophysicist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chevron

ProsExcellent work/life balance - with commitment for same from company. Excellent 401k matching program, pension plan, and profit-sharing.

ConsLarge organization that takes a long time to make decisions. Little top-down direction - too much management by committee and consensus. Company is VERY process and procedure oriented - in many cases it fels as though the comapny is spending time doing business with itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim number of managers. Train managers to do more "walk-abouts". Provide more feedback during performance and salary reviews.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chevron CEO John S. Watson. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Chevron employees.