Chevron

Updated December 20, 2014
4.1

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson
John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 141 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 14 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Our Values and Vision are purposeful, have tremendous buy in from us employees, and absolutely represent who we are.

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our organizational capability-our people is what makes Chevron an awesome company. We totally get that diversity drives success. The ability to experience global cultures is without a doubt a positive. Our ability to integrate into social climates across the globe and do so effectively, changing lives where we operate is truly a factor in our reputation.

Cons

Not having career ladders for all employees and all disciplines. Laboratory chemists and analysts, for example are usually lumped into a PDC for other disciplines, which makes it senseless to even try to compare performances or develop career pathways.

focus on the "small" people in your organization. Ensure they have full representation in personnel development committees. Make sure that people like me don't get left behind. I'm a geologist by education, but my experience is in labs and I don't think it's fair that people like me, and there are many, get pushed into PDCs that do not adequately represent their day to day work. I'm very pleased with my career and the opportunities I've been granted, but I think Chevron could do better at representing the small people.

Great culture at San Ramon campus

Former Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron

Pros

I don't know what the Houston office is like, but the San Ramon office was incredibly warm and supportive of employees. The work/life balance was also phenomenal; people worked hard while they were there (9/80 schedule) and left at an appropriate stopping point when the day was over.

Cons

San Ramon is for relatively senior employees or otherwise non-technical roles. It's hard to get your foot in the door there.

Innovative, Fun, Diverse, Leader of Oil and Gas Industry

Former Employee - EProcurement Specialist in Covington, LA
    Former Employee - EProcurement Specialist in Covington, LA

I worked at Chevron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Embraced diversity and innovative when it came to energy production

Cons

Too policy driven or political

People Focused (Human Energy)

Current Employee - Drilling and Completions Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Drilling and Completions Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is just as it is advertized. Chevron takes care of its people, and makes sure everyone is a good fit to its culture. Is all about Team Work, Ownership and most importantly Safety.

Cons

It is fast-paced, and you are working with a lot of people in and outside of the company. This can sometimes be a challenge, and is something that not everyone enjoys.

Incredible support for employee work/life balance

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

commitment to safety, clear strategy and vision, work/life balance, chevron way, 401k match and general financial benefits afforded to employees

Cons

some bureaucracy depending on the division, relatively linear growth opportunities for careers, and a slow performance review process

diversify the portfolio and show your commitment to energy efficiency and other forms of power generation

Love the focus on employee development!

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron's values and culture make it stand apart from other companies I have worked for. In general, my colleagues are friendly and genuinely care about each other. Chevron also has strong leadership development programs and focus which helps improve leadership compared to other companies I have been at. The thing I love the most here is the focus on employee development. There are so many development programs, trainings, and processes available to me, and my supervisors and other leaders have shown true interest in discussing how I want to be developed and where I can go next.

Cons

Because Chevron is such a large, decentralized company that heavily relies on processes (we are, after all, a company made up primarily of engineers), some things can be quite bureaucratic and slow. For people coming from faster companies or industries, this can be frustrating at first (or maybe forever). Once I started understanding the reasons for these processes ("Do it Safely or Not at All; There's Always Time to Do it Right"), it was easier to accept... but still frustrating when you want to get something done fast.

good company

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

very nice people, all around

Cons

they keep you in your box

The experience was magnificent

Former Employee - Undergraduate Internship in Lagos (Nigeria)
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Internship in Lagos (Nigeria)

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Chevron is one of the most ideal companies in the world

Cons

Challenges are relative to different departments and sections

They should keep it up and improve on it.

Excellent place to work

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Great compensation, flexible and family-oriented, priorities safety and employee development

Cons

Excessive procedures / red tape can sometimes stifle change & create inefficiency

Keep doing what you're doing.

The environment allows great training and working environment.

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The work place created by chevron is great, you have the ability to improve and really gain experiance.

Cons

The rotation aspect, it is great yet every six months for the first while you move around the world to various places and it is hard to feel at home.

Keep it up, you guys are great at listening and leading.