Chevron

Chevron Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily(in 122 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good(in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network(in 12 reviews)

Great place for engineers, I personally did not like the culture of the industry in general.

Drilling and Completions Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsSafety based culture of the company, pay, benefits, career development.

ConsTradition based thinking, especially when working directly in the field.

Good

ProsGood environment and easy work to do on a day-to-day basis

ConsThere are many but life and work balance is difficult in the job can sometimes be dangerous

Great company to work for

Reservoir Simulation Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Stability
    Work and life balance
    Family programs

ConsSlow growth
    Lots of paperwork and formalities
    Strict policies and rules
    Hard to get international assignments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Among best companies to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTruely a global player, rewarding career, relaxed friendly work environmnet

ConsDivestment in low revenue generating Business (countries) with higher operational risk

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

My review of chevron

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI lked most of the customers

ConsBad management, low pay, no room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementHirer pay

Executive Assistant

Executive Assistant/Contract (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood career, excellent engineers, teamwork environment. Always different projects to work on and thought out and multiple.

ConsChevron is very large, can be a little difficult to change and current project seem to be either to short or to long with out being told at the beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more informative about the length of the project at the beginning of your interview and your on boarding with the company. Other than that the Company is excellent.

After decades of awesome, now it is an OK place to work but not the phenomenal company it used to be.

Various Tech and Tech Management (Current Employee) Global Village (India)

ProsProfound concern for the individual: decent salaries, pension, retiree health, stock sharing plan, health benefits, educational funding, vacation seniority and work/life balance enabling alternate work schedules (allowing 3 day weekends). Great people with some phenomenal opportunities despite the often suffocating and burdensome processes we have to operate with. Otherwise a varied and stimulating workplace, I sincerely hope it can regain a most liked status.

If you enjoy Houston, Texas, this is the company to work for.

ConsWe are an Energy Company, so working here will earn you an "I work for BIG OIL" demonic moniker with your outside friends! Overly burdensome business processes, sometimes excessive safety culture and extremist OE zealotry permeates to the furthest corners of the corporation (watch out for that paper cut). No question that we certainly should extol the virtue of human safety (clearly Chevron is the gold-standard here) but seriously how many times has the stop-work-authority been called OUTSIDE of a traditional hazardous working environment : refinery, rig or pipeline? That may be a pro or a con but either way it does add up the cost!

We are BORG (pardon the Star Trek analogy) - numerous project decisions are sloowly made by a committee of peers resulting in a steep trending towards reduced features and mediocrity. Other are driven by a decision executive forcing solutions despite objections from the subject matter experts (in another Star Trek style : "the will of Landru").

Severely retarded and even dysfunctional efficiency-at-all-costs executive directives. Mind-numbingly risk-averse/management-by-dashboard/tool/committee where all the lights are invariably green (despite the suspected turmoil underneath). It is all about delivering a measurable/sustainable process(rather than accepting a fast-fail), less about figuring out who is going to be engaged long-term to sustain it for you (no headcount, efficiency or budget line item for that). No recognition after-the-fact supporting exceptional personnel development or look-backs to the now senior managers who (while oblivious to reality in the pursuit of short-term efficiency) permeated a long-since-forgotten path of destruction and were promoted accordingly well beyond their worth or capability. This has a knock-on effect of demoralizing more insightful members of the workforce unwilling to foment a similar dis-functional type of behavior to elevate their own status!

Finally, if you dislike living in Texas this is not going to be the company for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is still an OK place to work, with some slight tweaks it could be so very much more and return to the halcyon days of 5 star employee ratings. Encourage the more risk-averse to take more (non-hazardous area) chances, learn how to rapidly enable, prototype and educate via fast-fail and figure out how to share/socialize the results. Improve investment in technology futures. Quit with multitude of opco P&L reconciliation, the federated multi-operating/service company approach and get back to the a one-family company mantra! Clean house of the endless process measurement experts who are un-trainable in anything else. I firmly believe we have an exceptional president, his message and directives are clear and insightful but once we drop down a rung or two in the management structure the risk-averse deviation and misinterpretation for some operating companies begin to lose cohesion and sustainability.

In other words, for the executive layers I strongly suggest that you : GROW A PAIR!

Fantastic company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

ProsPeople oriented company that really cares about their employees

ConsDepending on personal views, it's an oil and gas company.

Enjoyed my time in Chevron

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brea, CA

ProsGreat place to work
    Company has high standards
    High quality employees
    great benefits

ConsSeemed like they had a re-org every year
    Still has a "good old boy" network, so there are some in leadership that were given jobs they definitely weren't competent for. Luckily the good far outweigh the bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those people that deserve it on MERIT and ABILITIES, not just because they agreed to transfer several times and you feel obligated! Thats how you lose great talent!

My experience at Chevron Nigeria was awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lagos (Nigeria)

ProsThe compensation package was really great. In whatever position or level you find yourself, you are sure to have the position or level benefits that you would like and appreciate. You are sure to enjoy yourself working in teams but also taking ownership of your job. The whole work environment is guided by Chevron Way values.

ConsYou might be stagnated if Management do not see your work as "Exceptional" or you are not in its books as a "High Flyer".

Advice to Senior ManagementOver-reliance on Supervisors or "Remote" Managers can stifle growth of both personnel and company.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!