Chevron

www.chevron.com

Chevron Reviews

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 123 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Chevron, keep on motoring

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

Prosstock price & safety culture

ConsI.T. Depts are too Outsourced, & the managers there view the short term approach of Budget reduction by Outsourcing back office I.T. jobs to Offshore Consulting Firms. They save lots in the short run and get paid bonuses, but at the same time, they relinquish ownership of their Tool Kits

Advice to Senior Managementdont give away the keys to the I.T. Tools

MY kind of company, I have found my "home"

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsManagement truly wants you to continue to learn and there are endless possibilities if you have a degree and are willing to go above and beyond the defined scope of your job. The people that work there are fantastic - I have never had such wonderful coworkers. My supervisor has 15+ years in Oil & Gas and is the most intelligent person I have worked for. Sitting through meetings with some of the upper management present really makes you feel proud to be at Chevron. I have had some great jobs and impressive supervisors, but nothing like what I have at Chevron. When I was hired, sitting through orientation and seeing the Chevron logo on the podium, on the powerpoint slides...I really had to sit back and take it all in. I REALLY was working at Chevron. It has become my 2nd family and I love going to work everyday. I plan to be there until I'm at least 65...I will never look outside of Chevron for another position.

ConsIt was hard to jump from the non-exempt to exempt pay grade. Exempt employees have excellent career development opportunities and development plans are detailed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo give non-exempt employees a little more credit. Most of the non-exempt coworkers I had were degreed, intelligent individuals that are just starting their career at Chevron and are excited about working their way up.

Chevron is a great place to work, but expect your life to be work.

Facilities Engineering (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsUpper management is visionary and good with communications. There is good job stability; Chevron is not very good at cutting people, just re-assigning them if they get a bad rating. Chevron has a great safety culture and walks the talk when it comes to environment & safety. Managers support time off for family or personal issues if necessary. There are many opportunities to advance and excel at Chevron if you are flexible. They are normally open to cross-functional training and one has a lot of responsibility and freedom on projects. They also have a 9/80 work schedule so every other Friday is off.

ConsManagers expect employees to live to work vs. work to live. I spend a lot of weekends, Fridays off, and evenings working. Most US locations are less than desirable if you expect a good quality of life. Compensation for facilities engineers is significantly lower than petroleum engineers, but many of the facilities engineers have a larger workload. Middle management is less than adequate. There is little communication/sharing between business units. It takes a long time to accrue vacation; one only has 2 weeks starting from college. Have not seen much focus on health, gyms, or child care; culture is geared towards safety but not personal health.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter support for work-life balance. Less centralization in Houston.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Need Supervisor Approval to Get Internet - WTF?

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsChevron has a very strong safety culture. I feel that management really cares about my well-being.

There are lots of projects to work on and plenty of work to do. Especially if you are proactive.

People at the refinery are very nice and down to earth. (However, it is my understanding that this is not the same at the corporate headquarters in San Ramon,CA).

Management often asks for people's opinions in meetings.

Management seems to show interest in your career path, and wants what is best for you.

People don't find issue when you need to take time off for personal matters. They are very understanding.

ConsFirst - You have to request Internet Access from your supervisor. No one on my team has Internet Access, so I feel lame being the only making a stink about it. My understanding is that you have to have a valid business reason to have it. I'm a recent college grad, and this kind of thinking is nuts! I feel cut off from the world. I'm actually thinking about leaving because this is really a big deal for me.

People can be way too political. I often hear "did you get approval" to do this or that. I feel like they don't encourage people to think for themselves. They're so concerned about following processes and procedures to stop and think if it's the best way to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Internet access without supervisor approval.

Chevron is not what it appears to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsEvery other Friday off. Have to work an extra hour each day to do this

ConsVery political. Company is full of lifers who are afraid to make the most simple of decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of dissatisfied people in the lower ranks

A great place to work as long as you are aware of the challenges.

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsFrom the top down the company promotes and supports ethical decisions and actions. High ethics can be hard to find in the oil industry. It may sound cheesy but the entire value system is very highly regarded if your personal values match the company values you will find it easier to navigate the company politics.

Another pro is that there is a major generation change happening right now with lots of retirements across the company. That means lots of opportunities for upward mobility. If you show early on that you are a hard worker who is also committed to Chevron values (the Chevron Way), delivers high quality work and enjoys being part of a team you will get noticed and put on a fast track for promotions or at least good raises.

For those that may not have the need to continually move up the ladder there are many technical jobs available that encourage good quality work but without the need to move around or always increase rank.

Many opportunities for travel and high support for continued education in your field.

ConsFor an ambitious Gen X or Y employee it can be tough dealing with the old guard and good ole boys network in the south. Not so bad if you work in CA or get placed out of the US.

Very caucasian company in the US that can get a little lonely for people of color. The leadership says the right things and I think they really do believe in diversity. But I think someone forgot to tell middle management what they should be doing and why.

Salary is ok but depending on your location the cost of living could eat it up very quick.

Across the board there is a big disconnect between executive leaders-middle managers-front line employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most important thing is to focus more on the development of new tallent. We have a lot of bright, new, young employees that we could loose if we do not think of new and innovative ways to retain their tallent. We are unique in the oil industry because we care about our employees but we may loose that competative edge if we don't start committing more energy and resources to keeping young employees, female employees and employees of color.

Human energy is true

Research Scientist (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsThe people is the best to work with. People care about you in the office.

ConsLack of direction ahead from management down to employee on terms of direction and where to set priority

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to mentoring

A follower rather than a leader ; a ship without a rudder

Petroleum Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsChevron has some great people

ConsAverage to below average salaries and benefits package. That's what they call being "competitive".
    Watch out for them to pull the rug out from under you when it comes to retirement benefits and paid healthcare in retirement. The carrots have strings attached, and every time you get close, they give the string a little yank -- just enough where you can't yet reach your objective, but not enough where you can afford to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about what Exxon's doing, and find our own path forward.

Stop with all the time wasting, counterproductive corporate initiatives. When there's a problem, we don't need another feel-good initiative to make it appear as if the problem is being fixed. We don't need a visit from another corporate team to identify problems that we all already know exist. We dont need outsiders to visit for a few days to point out the most obvious solutions, only to (after patting themselves on the back for a successful trip and job well done) dump on us additional workload that includes useless action plans and worthless reporting metrics. What we need is real leadership, and leadership accountability at all levels. A few more bodies in the trenches actually working to solve the problems wouldn't hurt either.

To be the best, you've got to do more than invent new slogans and give lip service to to the idea. How about paying the best to attract and retain the best.

Great opportunities to pursue different roles within one, well managed company. Great focus on employee development.

IT Professional (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsReally smart people, lots of opportunity to learn new things, change roles/jobs within one company, work internationally. They really focus on developing their employees and on supporting employee networks, especially diversity networks. Feel very supported on work/life balance issues and have been able to have multiple different alternative work schedules over the years. Strong focus on safety of employees and office ergonomics to prevent injury.

ConsCan be slow moving to change, so large it can be hard to feel like you know a lot of people. At times, can be bureaucratic. Really complex industry that has a steep learning curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your employees. Put in more mechanisms to have a bottom up flow of information. This will be essential for relating to and empowering the younger generation.

Great company with a few growing pains....

IT Professional (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsOpportunities galore! Training is great and the most people are fun.

ConsThe AGE gap between the new hires and people who have been here since the down of time! The old timers don't share knowledge and/or good job assignments. They give the new hires the "busy" work and work they have been putting off for the last 10 years. Very hard to deal with the "you have to work here for 25 years to be a manager" crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your minds to other ways of doing things! Give us new hires an opportunity to show you we CAN do it!

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!