Chevron

www.chevron.com
Employer Engaged

Takes care of you, strong culture takes adjustment

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Comprehensive and good benefits (e.g. pension and 4:1 401(k) match). Interesting work, opportunity to make a difference when you take the initiative. A strong culture of doing the right thing and taking care of people.

Cons

Sometimes the org gets myopic, heavily discounting the value of experiences and methods used outside of its own boundaries or the oil and gas industry. Too risk adverse in areas where failure is not catastrophic. In resource extraction, transportation, and refining (how we make money) you can't afford one mistake. But in performance management, project management, planning methodology, etc., there is a lot that can be learned from others.

Not what it seems like from the outside

Former Employee - Automation Tech in Taft, CA
    Former Employee - Automation Tech in Taft, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

Company/management does not recognize individuals for their work or contributions. everyone is just a number. no one cares if you actually work hard, as long as you create a good paper trail. People spend all morning planning their lunch, and then take 2 hour lunches, since there is no clocking in or out, then do minimal work in the afternoon then an hour before quieting time, they start to fill out on the computer, all the stuff they got done, which they really didn't do. I've never seen so much abuse and fraud.
    The company says they care about the individual, but they really don't. Everybody, Department managers and employee, are all in on the fraud, so as long as you are willing to be sheep, and fall in line with others, you will be fine, otherwise they will find a way to get you out of there, period, end of story.

Management should them selves, observe the new employees, and not rely on other tenured employees' feedback of the new employee, to base their decisions on. I was a field technician, I've personally have had a manger give me negative feedback about my performance, when he never even once, spent not even an hour with me in the field, let alone a day.

Petroleum engineer

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Great culture in the company

Cons

Slow to move to changes

Less of socialism

Very dissappointing

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Great benefits, good technology, fair pay

Cons

bias towards non diversity, extremely hypocritical of what the values say -(there is no Chevron way; its just a statement) Most Management does not care about there subordenants just how they can elevate themselves. Goes through way too many layoffs in cycles, and if you are not a diversity match or in good witht he clicks then you will be let go.

Focus on developing and true mentorship and not always about yourself. Have a clearer understanding your people and dont always jsut push a fake agenda to satify your own PMP.

More than 20 years in consulting roles

Current Employee - Internal Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, 1st class people. Work life balance, many supervisors and managers are good to work for (and with).

Cons

Cyclical industry. You have to be ready for downsizing. Being aligned politically with the right people helps you survive (but this is true for any organization). Chevron's culture is "too nice." We very seldom fire poor performers -- we wait for a downsizing, then clean house. People seldom confront each other in meetings (political correctness, not wanting to offend). This drives a lot of passive aggressive behavior. But once you understand the culture, it is a great place to work. We are laid back compared to Exxon.

Reward people for challenging the system, instead of going along to get along.

Contracts & Procurement

Current Contractor - Contract Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Contract Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Respectful staff and managers. Competitive pay. Job Security. Consistent.

Cons

Rigid job definitions. Slow upward mobility. Learning opportunities lacking.

Entry level

Current Employee - Entry Level in Pascagoula, MS
    Current Employee - Entry Level in Pascagoula, MS

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I wan to be part of a great team.

Cons

None and stay late working.

Learns fans.

Too many business analysts posing as Category Managers

Former Employee - Global Category Manager-IS&T in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Global Category Manager-IS&T in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits.
    Wonderful campus environment.
    Very few excellent managers.
    Lots of interesting ITC projects associated with bleeding edge technologies

Cons

New upper management is still struggling with processes and appear to only be interested in their "team award" and associated compensation. The team award should not be an automatic raise just because another year has passed by.
    Chevron's mantra is "Chevron Way Behavior" however second level management does not abide by this mantra.
    Not a lot of room for promotions as half of the department was shipped out to Texas..

Stop screaming at folks while they are on business phone calls just so they don't miss the twice a day mandatory "stretch break"
    Some employees are allowed to work at home while others are not.
    Lots of favoritism

Good Company Great Benefits

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of job opportunity within the company in different locations. Excellent safety culture. Great benefits including pension and retirement. Pay is really good, although not always competitive within the oil industry.

Cons

While most of the workforce are very smart, Chevron doesn't really fire anyone so some really bad employees will never get fired (with the exceptions of times of lay off if oil price drops really low). But otherwise no one wants to deal with problem employees. Also they don't really have any desirable US locations to live in.

Consider telecommuting to make up for the lack of desirable US office locations. Also don't be afraid to deal with poor performers or people with poor management skills.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Business Support Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Support Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Very employee friendly. Great benefits.

Cons

Industry is cyclical and hiring fluctuates with the industry.

Consider expanding more flex time for family illness outside of California.