Chevron Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.8

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson
John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 129 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

Current Employee - Logistics Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Logistics Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Safety conscious company. Challenging work environment. Great coworkers and team values are encouraged.

Cons

low salary. Growth is slow

Try to be more cognizant of effective employees. Caste system should be eliminated considering that all are potential risks and this just contradicts the image that the company is trying to project.

Solid place to work

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Lots of career opportunities.
    High performers recognized.
    Strong company values.

Cons

Too consensus driven. Lack of accountability for management decisions.

No advice at this time.

Great place to work until you get close to age 50--then you become disposable.

Former Employee - Global Process Coordinator  in  San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Global Process Coordinator in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron

Pros

Compensation, benefits, challenging projects and a flexible working environment.

Cons

They tend to throw people away after age 50.

Stop downsizing people who still have 10-12 years to contribute just because they make the most money and it's the simplest way to reduce the bottom line.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good diverse place with growth oppurtunities

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Diversity , professional , integrity, trust

Cons

Bureacracy approach, too much compliance training

Be aggressive in adopting new technology

Chevron is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The best reason to work for Chevron are that they pay way, great benefits and locations across the world to work. Supervisors are very understanding when you need to take time off or leave early/come late to work. I've never been questioned. There are many opportunities for growth and our bonuses/success sharing has always been great. I've definitely learned that working for Chevron is better than working at most other companies out there.

Cons

Many employees feel we should get a larger discount on gas and perhaps, when using our own debit/credit cards and not only when using a Chevron gas card. They are many, many processes and barrier to go through when trying to get things done. It can take a very, very long time to get something implemented.

To listen to the suggestions and comments of the employees, especially during townhalls.

Chevron is a good company.

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron

Pros

It is a very big company with large amount of opportunities to advance and try new thing. Benefits are really good. The 401 K match is second to none. There is also pension. The atmosphere of tolerance is promoted. There is a great deal of work life balance. The amount of resources is vast. I really like the tools available to you for looking up different technical information, book travel and submit expenses. Most of Senior Management are very impressive and smart people, and they can be real role models.

Cons

I thing Chevron can improve on technical development of facilities engineers. In general company would benefit from accountability and team work between different departments. Some departments are overgrown. Some departments that are very critical are understaffed.

To develop technical and project management skills of facilities engineers

It's alright.

Current Employee - Drilling Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Work-Life Balance. You can set your own schedule around the core hours of 9-3 which is great if you commute in Houston.
    Lots of potential for global assignments. Residential or rotational assignment exist on every continent.

Cons

Good ole boys network. If you not in the inner circle you'll always be a step or two behind in advancement and promotions.
    They might promote Human Energy, etc, but at the end of the day employee's will take a back seat to the business and the gpeople making the decisions out in California.

The company revolves around more people than its US based employees.

Chevron is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron is safety oriented; they put safety first for their employees. This benefits both the employee and the company. Every employee is empowered to stop any job if they see something unsafe.
    Another thing that impresses me is their Recognition and Award program; every employee is encouraged to recognize and award a peer for a job well done. Everyone really likes to receive these awards; people seem to try harder to do their best for everyone.
    Our department is really concerned about Work/Life balance. Within our department, most are on a 9/80 schedule which means we have every other Friday off. Most employees really look forward to that 3-day weekend. When I need time off, it is usually not a problem to get my supervisor's approval. They encourage people to stay home if the weather is hazardous or if you or a family member is sick.
    Chevron is a great place to work!

Cons

I have had a challenge to find a new career opportunity; I have been an admin for a number of years and am ready to try something different. Most jobs at Chevron require a specialized degree; my degree is in Business; I am sure I will find something; I just have to be diligent in my search.

I think senior management is doing a great job; they keep us informed and I am impressed with their leadership.

Strong company with strong people.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Coming from another oil company, I have had an opportunity to compare/contrast the company culture and work experience.....and Chevron comes ahead, hands down. I enjoyed my previous company and did well there, but Chevron's commitment to their employees and stockholders while maintaining corporate integrity has been inspirational.

Like others mentioned, there are lots of opportunities to move up within Chevron if you are a strong performer, especially if you are mobile. I have heard from many people that once you are in, it's hard to get fired unless you are a really poor performer - they are more apt to "reshuffle" you than let you go. That, unfortunately, does lead to some people still with the company that should be eliminated.

Overall the company employs a high caliber of talent - people who enjoy their work and are extremely loyal to the company. They love the company so much they end up hiring their relatives and friends - there are a high percentage of people I have met that are somehow related to another employee (hence the nepotism mentioned in another post).

Cons

Salary pay is very competitive compared to other oil companies, although annual pay increases are on the modest side. While I don't 100% agree with the "good ol' boy" network comments others have made, I do agree that management typically promotes those that have qualities and characteristics similar to them. You don't need to be in the "in crowd" to get promoted, but you should have a personality and style similar to those higher ups.

It is also actively up to the employee to determine their future - the company expects people to network if they want a position, it doesn't get handed to you. This is where some "schmoozers" get ahead of the quiet bees.

Continue being honest and upfront with employees, even if the news is bad. Really live the Chevron Way - don't make it mindless rhetoric.

Chevron: worker friendly, flexible, progressive.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Their willingness to help their employees become the best they can possibley be. The opportunities to promote and grow within the company are endless. There is also a sense of community, with many social activities planned for employees to interact and bond outside of work. There willingness to work around employees non work committments with the use of flex schedules is very nice. Only requirement is to be at work during "core hours" which is 9-3. Also pay up to 75% for continued educaiton.

Cons

Verry large organization, lots of red tape. I can also be hard to get to know coworkers on a personal level.

To think outside the box when considering candidates for certain positions. It seems they are too fixated on potential employees having engineering degrees, even in fields where that sort of technical background is not required.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!