Chevron

www.chevron.com

Chevron Reviews in Richmond, CA

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily(in 123 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good(in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network(in 12 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Come for the experience, stay for the people.

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsThe People - very friendly
    The Work Atmosphere - very relaxed
    The Experience - get a lot of experience in different areas in a short amount of time

ConsThe Location - limit locations, if you don't like Texas or California you're SOL

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with employees on the direction the company/department/their career is taking. Don't just spring weird job assignment moves on them.

Solid company to be a part of.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsGood balance between work/life. For most employees there is a 9/80 work schedule available which gives you every other Friday off. Chevron offers a large variety of different job opportunities that you can find within the company or one of the wholly owned subsidery companies.

ConsFor finance/accounting professions the base pay could be higher. The pay is comparable to other energy companies but not necessarily to other industries like public accounting or commercial/investment banking. Also Chevron is very beurocratic, its hard to move more then one pay scale above your current level at any given time and you usually have to spend 18 months in a position before you can try and 'post' to a higher level job,

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not follow the 'pay scale' so ridgidly when promoting high performing employees.

Need Supervisor Approval to Get Internet - WTF?

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsChevron has a very strong safety culture. I feel that management really cares about my well-being.

There are lots of projects to work on and plenty of work to do. Especially if you are proactive.

People at the refinery are very nice and down to earth. (However, it is my understanding that this is not the same at the corporate headquarters in San Ramon,CA).

Management often asks for people's opinions in meetings.

Management seems to show interest in your career path, and wants what is best for you.

People don't find issue when you need to take time off for personal matters. They are very understanding.

ConsFirst - You have to request Internet Access from your supervisor. No one on my team has Internet Access, so I feel lame being the only making a stink about it. My understanding is that you have to have a valid business reason to have it. I'm a recent college grad, and this kind of thinking is nuts! I feel cut off from the world. I'm actually thinking about leaving because this is really a big deal for me.

People can be way too political. I often hear "did you get approval" to do this or that. I feel like they don't encourage people to think for themselves. They're so concerned about following processes and procedures to stop and think if it's the best way to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Internet access without supervisor approval.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!