Chevron Reviews in Richmond, CA

4.1

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson
John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 123 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great summer internship with Chevron ETC

Current Employee - Materials and Corrosion Engineer  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Materials and Corrosion Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Quality people to work with. Great salary. Got to to some business travel as an intern. Learned much more than expected.

Cons

Chevron possesses the cons that you would expect a giant corporation to have. Oftentimes corporate policy will trump logical reasoning.

Engaging and challenging internship experience

Former Employee - Engineering  in  Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Richmond, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and fast-paced work environment, independence and responsibility given to summer interns. Overall a great experience (Engineering Intern). Company really cares about work-life balance, too.

Cons

No big negative things to say about my internship experience. Corporate culture can occasionally get in the way of progress/new ideas.

Keep it up!

Chevron Process Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, great people, and a huge learning experience unlike anything you will receive in school. An excellent way to make connections.

Worked on projects that actually mattered to the company, as well as I got to see how engineering applied in the real world.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is poor. 9/80 Schedule is nice, however it makes it difficult to enjoy every day. Seems to be an expectation to stay beyond your 9 hours.

Need less red tape, and a better document management system in order to better pass on information across generations of employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Internship

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern for less than a year

Pros

An excellent place to complete an internship. Very focused on safety. Would gladly return if I had more summers left to intern, but I will be graduating in Spring 2013.

Cons

The refinery is in Richmond, which is usually in the Top 10 of most crime-filled cities in the US every year. It sits on the very edge though and away from the town, but it's pretty close.

It was okay but I've worked at better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Decent pay, the job was a piece of cake actually because I was overqualified.

Cons

Refinery is so spread out you have to borrow the company car to get to other parts of the plant if you need to for meetings or wait on the company cab. Micromanage employees

Stop micromanaging, some people really are smart

Working a Chevron provided growth that is marketable in any employment you may seek

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron provides a livable wage, marketable skills and most importantly the ability to save for a decent retirement. There are many opportunities to grow and advance.

Cons

After sometime working in a union shop became limiting. If you don't know how to play the political game it can also be limiting. Observe and learn to over come it.

Everyone of your employee wants to be a part of the big picture. Mentor each of your employees. Find their individual talents and utilize it. You and they will see great things coming out of that simple idea.

Great Place to Work - Good Pay, People, and Professional Development

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The People - very friendly, generally honest, and caring
    The Work Atmosphere - very relaxed, understanding of work-life balance (long hours are compensated by time off), 9/80 schedule
    The Experience - get a lot of experience in different areas/technologies in a short amount of time, great cross-discipline exposure, rotational assignments

Cons

The Location - limited work locations
    California Politics - working for big oil in CA is hard, projects are canceled, uncertain company future in the state
    The Conversation - awkward responses when you are asked who you work for

Be more transparent with employees on the direction the company/department/their career is taking.

It's the reality, go deal with it.

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Job Security, Pay, I can't think of anymore...

Cons

The hours are horrible at the Richmond Refinery. As a normal human being, I would like to go to bed when it's dark and get up when it's light outside. Many people go to work at 5, 6am and it's the norm, and therefore you are also expected to go to work no later than 7am. So much for work/life balance. Sure, you can argue I get to go home early. But what about personal preferences?! I'd like to have a good night sleep according to my own biological clock and get up to the sunshine. However, I think this schedule is location oriented. Richmond refinery is one early bird, same as Houston I believe, but people in San Ramon generally go to work a lot later in the day.

There is NO standard, or company procedure. If you like a lot of uncertainties, surprises, then this is the place for you. Surprises come up all the time, and there is no one way to deal with it. You make up whatever form you need to fill out, and you write up whatever guideline you need to follow. The rules are changing all the time. For example, I was promised a certain amount of money for my relocation lump sum written on a piece of paper, company document sent by HR. Only when I was receiving the money in my paycheck did they inform me that that amount was incorrect and sorry for the "misunderstanding" but I'm suddenly thousand dollars short. If I had known this earlier, I would have weighed the different relocation options differently. How could I have imagined that even a written document is no good in this company?

Discrimination against your degree and major. If you were a petroleum engineer, you get paid the most, then chemical engineer, and then the rest of the engineering disciplines. Unfair right? Since you all end up doing the same work. Too bad, so sad, go live with it.

Give a clear scope of what you want.

Chevron provides a workplace for a satisfying career.

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Work is relevant and important. There are opportunities to work in different areas of the business and in different technologies over the course of a career. The benefits include a yearly bonus, excellent contributions to a 401K, and a pension plan. Employees participate in a yearly survey and the results ot the survey are taken seriously. Advancement within the company is possible. Chevron's facilities and equipment are operated safety and reliably. Alternative work schedules are available and widely used.

Cons

There is still a "Good Old Boys" culture in some parts of the organization. The pace is fast and the workload can cause significant stress and long work hours.

Focus on both long term and short term objectives. Implement new technologies successfully. Continue the work to impove the public's impression of the company.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!