Chevron

www.chevron.com

Chevron Reviews in Richmond, CA

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 123 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 13 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great summer internship with Chevron ETC

Materials and Corrosion Engineer (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsQuality people to work with. Great salary. Got to to some business travel as an intern. Learned much more than expected.

ConsChevron possesses the cons that you would expect a giant corporation to have. Oftentimes corporate policy will trump logical reasoning.

Engaging and challenging internship experience

Engineering (Former Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsFriendly and fast-paced work environment, independence and responsibility given to summer interns. Overall a great experience (Engineering Intern). Company really cares about work-life balance, too.

ConsNo big negative things to say about my internship experience. Corporate culture can occasionally get in the way of progress/new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Chevron Process Engineering Intern

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsGreat pay, great people, and a huge learning experience unlike anything you will receive in school. An excellent way to make connections.

Worked on projects that actually mattered to the company, as well as I got to see how engineering applied in the real world.

ConsWork/Life Balance is poor. 9/80 Schedule is nice, however it makes it difficult to enjoy every day. Seems to be an expectation to stay beyond your 9 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed less red tape, and a better document management system in order to better pass on information across generations of employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Internship

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsAn excellent place to complete an internship. Very focused on safety. Would gladly return if I had more summers left to intern, but I will be graduating in Spring 2013.

ConsThe refinery is in Richmond, which is usually in the Top 10 of most crime-filled cities in the US every year. It sits on the very edge though and away from the town, but it's pretty close.

It was okay but I've worked at better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsDecent pay, the job was a piece of cake actually because I was overqualified.

ConsRefinery is so spread out you have to borrow the company car to get to other parts of the plant if you need to for meetings or wait on the company cab. Micromanage employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging, some people really are smart

Working a Chevron provided growth that is marketable in any employment you may seek

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsChevron provides a livable wage, marketable skills and most importantly the ability to save for a decent retirement. There are many opportunities to grow and advance.

ConsAfter sometime working in a union shop became limiting. If you don't know how to play the political game it can also be limiting. Observe and learn to over come it.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone of your employee wants to be a part of the big picture. Mentor each of your employees. Find their individual talents and utilize it. You and they will see great things coming out of that simple idea.

Great Place to Work - Good Pay, People, and Professional Development

ProsThe People - very friendly, generally honest, and caring
    The Work Atmosphere - very relaxed, understanding of work-life balance (long hours are compensated by time off), 9/80 schedule
    The Experience - get a lot of experience in different areas/technologies in a short amount of time, great cross-discipline exposure, rotational assignments

ConsThe Location - limited work locations
    California Politics - working for big oil in CA is hard, projects are canceled, uncertain company future in the state
    The Conversation - awkward responses when you are asked who you work for

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with employees on the direction the company/department/their career is taking.

It's the reality, go deal with it.

Facilities Engineer (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsJob Security, Pay, I can't think of anymore...

ConsThe hours are horrible at the Richmond Refinery. As a normal human being, I would like to go to bed when it's dark and get up when it's light outside. Many people go to work at 5, 6am and it's the norm, and therefore you are also expected to go to work no later than 7am. So much for work/life balance. Sure, you can argue I get to go home early. But what about personal preferences?! I'd like to have a good night sleep according to my own biological clock and get up to the sunshine. However, I think this schedule is location oriented. Richmond refinery is one early bird, same as Houston I believe, but people in San Ramon generally go to work a lot later in the day.

There is NO standard, or company procedure. If you like a lot of uncertainties, surprises, then this is the place for you. Surprises come up all the time, and there is no one way to deal with it. You make up whatever form you need to fill out, and you write up whatever guideline you need to follow. The rules are changing all the time. For example, I was promised a certain amount of money for my relocation lump sum written on a piece of paper, company document sent by HR. Only when I was receiving the money in my paycheck did they inform me that that amount was incorrect and sorry for the "misunderstanding" but I'm suddenly thousand dollars short. If I had known this earlier, I would have weighed the different relocation options differently. How could I have imagined that even a written document is no good in this company?

Discrimination against your degree and major. If you were a petroleum engineer, you get paid the most, then chemical engineer, and then the rest of the engineering disciplines. Unfair right? Since you all end up doing the same work. Too bad, so sad, go live with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a clear scope of what you want.

Chevron provides a workplace for a satisfying career.

Scientist (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsWork is relevant and important. There are opportunities to work in different areas of the business and in different technologies over the course of a career. The benefits include a yearly bonus, excellent contributions to a 401K, and a pension plan. Employees participate in a yearly survey and the results ot the survey are taken seriously. Advancement within the company is possible. Chevron's facilities and equipment are operated safety and reliably. Alternative work schedules are available and widely used.

ConsThere is still a "Good Old Boys" culture in some parts of the organization. The pace is fast and the workload can cause significant stress and long work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on both long term and short term objectives. Implement new technologies successfully. Continue the work to impove the public's impression of the company.

Chevron

Pros9/80 schdule - flex hours - pay & benefits - work & life balance

ConsIt's an oil company so you have to deal with some negative press and conversations. Pay is about the same when compared with the other big oils. ExxonMobil pays a bit more. Chevron requires most of the employees to be mobil. If you can't move, don't expect to promoted very fast

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the share prices up

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!