Chevron Reviews

Reset

Chevron Process Engineering Intern

Current Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great people, and a huge learning experience unlike anything you will receive in school. An excellent way to make connections. Worked on projects that actually mattered to the company, as well as I got to see how engineering applied in the real world.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is poor. 9/80 Schedule is nice, however it makes it difficult to enjoy every day. Seems to be an expectation to stay beyond your 9 hours.

Advice to Management

Need less red tape, and a better document management system in order to better pass on information across generations of employees.

Great Internship

Former Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Former Intern - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

An excellent place to complete an internship. Very focused on safety. Would gladly return if I had more summers left to intern, but I will be graduating in Spring 2013.

Cons

The refinery is in Richmond, which is usually in the Top 10 of most crime-filled cities in the US every year. It sits on the very edge though and away from the town, but it's pretty close.

3. It was okay but I've worked at better

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Decent pay, the job was a piece of cake actually because I was overqualified.

Cons

Refinery is so spread out you have to borrow the company car to get to other parts of the plant if you need to for meetings or wait on the company cab. Micromanage employees

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, some people really are smart

5. Working a Chevron provided growth that is marketable in any employment you may seek

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Chevron provides a livable wage, marketable skills and most importantly the ability to save for a decent retirement. There are many opportunities to grow and advance.

Cons

After sometime working in a union shop became limiting. If you don't know how to play the political game it can also be limiting. Observe and learn to over come it.

Advice to Management

Everyone of your employee wants to be a part of the big picture. Mentor each of your employees. Find their individual talents and utilize it. You and they will see great things coming out of that simple idea.

Great Place to Work - Good Pay, People, and Professional Development

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The People - very friendly, generally honest, and caring The Work Atmosphere - very relaxed, understanding of work-life balance (long hours are compensated by time off), 9/80 schedule The Experience - get a lot of experience in different areas/technologies in a short amount of time, great cross-discipline exposure, rotational assignments

Cons

The Location - limited work locations California Politics - working for big oil in CA is hard, projects are canceled, uncertain company future in the state The Conversation - awkward responses when you are asked who you work for

Advice to Management

It's the reality, go deal with it.

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Job Security, Pay, I can't think of anymore...

Cons

The hours are horrible at the Richmond Refinery. As a normal human being, I would like to go to bed when it's dark and get up when it's light outside. Many people go to work at 5, 6am and it's the norm, and therefore you are also expected to go to work no later than 7am. So much for work/life balance. Sure, you can argue I get to go home early. But what about personal preferences?! I'd like to have a good night sleep according to my own biological clock and get up to the sunshine. However, I think this schedule is location oriented. Richmond refinery is one early bird, same as Houston I believe, but people in San Ramon generally go to work a lot later in the day. There is NO standard, or company procedure. If you like a lot of uncertainties, surprises, then this is the place for you. Surprises come up all the time, and there is no one way to deal with it. You make up whatever form you need to fill out, and you write up whatever guideline you need to follow. The rules are changing all the time. For example, I was promised a certain amount of money for my relocation lump sum written on a piece of paper, company document sent by HR. Only when I was receiving the money in my paycheck did they inform me that that amount was incorrect and sorry for the "misunderstanding" but I'm suddenly thousand dollars short. If I had known this earlier, I would have weighed the different relocation options differently. How could I have imagined that even a written document is no good in this company? Discrimination against your degree and major. If you were a petroleum engineer, you get paid the most, then chemical engineer, and then the rest of the engineering disciplines. Unfair right? Since you all end up doing the same work. Too bad, so sad, go live with it.

Advice to Management

Give a clear scope of what you want.

8. Chevron provides a workplace for a satisfying career.

Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Work is relevant and important. There are opportunities to work in different areas of the business and in different technologies over the course of a career. The benefits include a yearly bonus, excellent contributions to a 401K, and a pension plan. Employees participate in a yearly survey and the results ot the survey are taken seriously. Advancement within the company is possible. Chevron's facilities and equipment are operated safety and reliably. Alternative work schedules are available and widely used.

Cons

There is still a "Good Old Boys" culture in some parts of the organization. The pace is fast and the workload can cause significant stress and long work hours.

Advice to Management

Focus on both long term and short term objectives. Implement new technologies successfully. Continue the work to impove the public's impression of the company.

9. Chevron

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

9/80 schdule - flex hours - pay & benefits - work & life balance

Cons

It's an oil company so you have to deal with some negative press and conversations. Pay is about the same when compared with the other big oils. ExxonMobil pays a bit more. Chevron requires most of the employees to be mobil. If you can't move, don't expect to promoted very fast

Advice to Management

Keep the share prices up

10. Come for the experience, stay for the people.

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

The People - very friendly The Work Atmosphere - very relaxed The Experience - get a lot of experience in different areas in a short amount of time

Cons

The Location - limit locations, if you don't like Texas or California you're SOL

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees on the direction the company/department/their career is taking. Don't just spring weird job assignment moves on them.

Solid company to be a part of.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Good balance between work/life. For most employees there is a 9/80 work schedule available which gives you every other Friday off. Chevron offers a large variety of different job opportunities that you can find within the company or one of the wholly owned subsidery companies.

Cons

For finance/accounting professions the base pay could be higher. The pay is comparable to other energy companies but not necessarily to other industries like public accounting or commercial/investment banking. Also Chevron is very beurocratic, its hard to move more then one pay scale above your current level at any given time and you usually have to spend 18 months in a position before you can try and 'post' to a higher level job,

Advice to Management

Do not follow the 'pay scale' so ridgidly when promoting high performing employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed