Chevron

Updated December 19, 2014
4.1

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson
John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 141 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 14 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

147 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible support for employee work/life balance

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

commitment to safety, clear strategy and vision, work/life balance, chevron way, 401k match and general financial benefits afforded to employees

Cons

some bureaucracy depending on the division, relatively linear growth opportunities for careers, and a slow performance review process

diversify the portfolio and show your commitment to energy efficiency and other forms of power generation

Great place for a career, not just a job.

Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, work culture, International focus/job opportunities and people development. Chevron's PDCs put a lot of effort into getting the right person, in the right job with the right skills at the right time.

Cons

Not very diverse in top positions in line jobs. (Support functions have diversity).

Should not let cost focus make us think we can shrink to greatness. Now is the time to go shopping for more assets but this will take some appetite for risk.

Great culture at San Ramon campus

I worked at Chevron

Pros

I don't know what the Houston office is like, but the San Ramon office was incredibly warm and supportive of employees. The work/life balance was also phenomenal; people worked hard while they were there (9/80 schedule) and left at an appropriate stopping point when the day was over.

Cons

San Ramon is for relatively senior employees or otherwise non-technical roles. It's hard to get your foot in the door there.

This job is very stable and steady, the potential for growth is not fast paced compare to other industries.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron

Pros

Very flexible work arrangement 9/80 schedule. The people that work here have been here for a very long time so they know the history of the company very well and that helps with starting a new job here.

Cons

I think across different functional units, the communicatio can be better. It will help with the work load and effiiciency.

Improve communication.

Great opportunity to build wealth and skill sets

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Concord, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of wonderful people working at Chevron. The company offers good benefits. They also have a terrific 401K plan. There are lots of opportunities to learn and develop. It is very team oriented. Safety is a top management priority. The work life balance is good 99% of the time. I have made great friends there. The oil industry is an exciting place to work. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Cons

Its a big company. Sometimes things happen slowly.

Excellent.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very bossy about everything.

Cons

There is little vacation time.

There is a lot of space to move forward.

they do care about employees

I worked at Chevron full-time

Pros

-the company does seem to genuinely care about its employees and safety (they even require you to hold on the hand rails when walking up/down stairs, even if theres only 2-3 steps!).
    -the people here seem friendly and willing to help new employees get a feel for things.
    -the pay is pretty damn good, and theres a flex schedule where you can have every other friday off.

Cons

-if youre 30 or under, you will feel as if youre at an old folks home. hell, if youre 40 or under you'll feel like a kid working at his grandparents store.
    -the san ramon headquarters is way too suburban. these two factors alone will make it very difficult to attract fresh new talent.
    -nobody ever retires and along with that theres no new ideas (there are people there that have been there since chevron was part of john rockefellers standard oil for crying out loud)
    -no free meals. the cost of a lunch at the cafeteria is the same, if not more expensive, than going to any number of restaurants nearby. why a company that makes billions cant spring for free food, or at least discounted meals, is beyond me (oh wait, that'll upset shareholders!)
    -people who work here literally feel that chevron is the greatest company on the planet and does no harm whatsoever. environmental groups, no matter how legitimate their claims, are seen as "kooky" and "extremists." if you have opinions that go against "the chevron way" or question some of chevrons environmental hypocrisy, my advice is to keep your mouth shut and your head down. it almost feels like that movie the stepford wives where everyone is brainwashed into thinking the company has never committed any wrongdoing, and that anyone who accuses them of doing such things is insane, crazy, malicious, out for money, or any combination of those.

cant really offer much advice given the fact that the company continues to earn billions.

Chevron is a fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Regional Planner in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Planner in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Chevron Way Values are not just written in a brochure; they are taken seriously and include:
    Integrity, Trust, Diversity, Ingenuity, and Partnership.
    The safety culture is very strong, and encourages employees to look out for one another. Health & wellness is also emphasized, including the offering of a 9x80 schedule.
    My co-workers are diverse, intelligent and dedicated.
    There are opportunities to work all over the world, for those who are interested in doing so.
    Networking is encouraged, and salaries are competitive.
    Activities are process-driven.

Cons

If you want to work from home, this is not necessarily going to be the place for you. This company encourages it's employees to be physically present in the office, presumably in order to take advantage of impromptu collaboration opportunities and the benefits of in-person interactions.

Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for adhering to the company values.

Wonderful work environment, hope you like the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - MBA Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - MBA Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance was excellent, and I enjoyed the professionalism and congeniality of everyone I worked with. I feel that they take employee health and happiness very seriously.

Cons

The culture was a bit too consensus driven for me - you had to have meetings to agree about schedules for future meetings, and get 87 people to come to a single decision in order to move forward on even the smallest points. I am very results-oriented and it was quite frustrating for me to spend so much time with so little to show for it.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Finance Development Program Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Development Program Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They treat employees very well, really invest in you. Pay well and amazing benefits! They allow a lot of movement within the company. They want you to learn and develop more the longer you are with the company.

Cons

It is a really big company! There is a lot to learn! But they invest in developing you and teaching you more as you go.