Chevron

Updated May 30, 2014

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson

John S. Watson

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They take care of their employees

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

Pros9/80 work schedule, great work/life balance, they invest in their employees development and training

ConsA lot of ITC jobs moved to Houston, TX and not enough in the Bay Area where this is supposed to be "corporate headquarters". It seems that the outlook for headquarters staying in San Ramon are not likely. The rumor is that as soon as John Watson retires the new Chairmen will be located in Houston, TX and that will become the new headquarters. The moral has taken a dive since all the moves happened. A lot of people had to uproot their entire family even when they didn't want to but out of a necessity to keep a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more work-life balance by allowing employees to work from home if there is no need to be in the office. The 2 + hour commute per day is horrible. This would help the moral and overall productiveness get a boost. It would also be nice if Chevron in San Ramon didn't put the on-site child care center on hold. Of course the child care center in Houston is up and running.

Great Place to Work

IT Professional (Current Employee)

ProsA Great Place to Work

ConsNo Cons except the managed move for new employees

Great company culture

Petroleum Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsI have worked for a few oil and gas companies now, but I only worked for Chevron for three months as an intern.

- Great company culture: teamwork based, so people help each other rather than treat each other as competition
    - Great people (as cheesy as it sounds): Chevron has some of the msot talented people of any oil and gas company I have encountered
    - Liberal company culture: people are very accpeting, no matter what your interests/beliefs
    - Great benefits (401k, gift-card bonus program, etc.)
    - Great work: lots of fields/reservoirs
    - Great work-life balance
    - Compensate technical staff more so than others: there is a group of technical "champions" (forgot the name) who are compensated virtualy the same as top-level management; I have never seen this in a company before
    - Great volunteer program: great way of meeting people and doing some charity work in the local community
    - One of the only companies (besides Google) that seems to actually care about its employees: ergonomics softwares installed on all computers -force- people to take extended breaks and talk to others around the office; numerous other health & wellbeing beenfits, etc.
    - CEO is more "real" than others I have heard, and he was actually hired internally!
    - The list goes on...

Cons- The company is large, and thus by nature slightly more bureaucratic than smaller comapnies
    - Difficult to work abroad during the first 5 years of work (or so I was told)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work (as far as I could see)

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great corporate America experience, but keep in mind, this is Big Oil

Compliance Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsBenefits, salary, professional development, career prospects, international and multicultural exposure. It is a huge company that has been there for ever and will be there for a long long time. Most of the executives come from inside which tells you they have been in the shoes of lower rank members. They are not there for the bonuses in the next few years but they are truly committed to the long term success of the company (which also helps their bonuses, of course, but you get my point)

ConsCareer prospects often depend on your disposition to move around, domestically and internationally.
    You own your career. If you are not proactive seeking career development they are not going to give it to you. They value employees that are professional and grown-ups.
    Sometimes the "buddy system" affects you. And sometimes you would feel HR employees aren't either "human" nor "resources" (you own your career, remember that)

Contract Staffing Coordinator

Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsChevron has awsome benefits and a lifetime career opportunity

ConsMost of the positions are in Houston, Texas

Unwelcoming nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and 9/80 schedule and pay

ConsRed tape
    Too many processes
    Safety culture overdone and interferes with work

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not 1980 anymore

OK, but slow - Too much "process" gets in the way of innovation

IT PM (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, pension plan
    9/80 work schedule gives you every other Friday off

Consmost jobs are moving from CA to TX
    Too much focus on heavy processes and procedures gets in the way of innovation or new ideas
    Old school management style

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing company with a strong focus on employees and their development.

(Former Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsOutstanding career opportunities to see different areas of the business, especially if you are geographically mobile in the US and overseas. Amazing focus on training across the board.

ConsWhile career development is strong laterally in terms of getting various experiences, it is easy to hit a ceiling due to slower retirements. Upward progression is slow compared to other majors and especially independents, but does not seem to be recognized or benchmarked externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to move more Upstream and Corporate from California to Texas. San Ramon has long been an issue for many employees not wanting to deal with the high cost of living of Northern California in order to progress their careers into management.

Great company to work

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and paid. 8% match to your 401k

ConsThey are moving a lot of jobs to Houston

Contractor in HR

San Ramon, CA

ProsIf you're an employee, I think Chevron is great.

ConsUnfortunately in the department I'm in, contractors are treated like second-class citizens even though we do the same thing as full-time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat contractors fairly - address that contractors contribute a great deal to Chevron as a whole and make us feel like we're valued.

Worked for Chevron? Contribute to the Community!

Chevron Videos

Chevron – Why Work for Us?

Chevron Corporation is one of the world's leading integrated energy and technology companies, with subsidiaries that conduct business worldwide under the Chevron, Texaco, and Caltex brands. The company's success is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chevron reviews and ratings in San Ramon, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chevron CEO John S. Watson. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Chevron employees.