Chevron

Updated January 5, 2015
4.1

Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson
John S. Watson

Pros
  • They take excellent care of their employees and exercise work life balance heavily (in 141 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, oil industry salary, job stability (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • compared to competitors - although in fairness the work life balance was good (in 14 reviews)

• Typical, Southern, "Good-Ole-Boy" Network (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

117 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great working environment under safe conditions.

Current Employee - Third Assistant Engineer On Tanker Vessels of the Company in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Safe conditions.
    Care employees and people and environment.
    Good pay rate.

Cons

As I am new to the company, I don't see anything negative for the moment. But I hear from my colleagues, the 06:00 - 18:00 working hours for engine crew is more than the rival companies. That issue is the one, I've heard most of the times.

Cadet training on cadet ships should be improved or maybe removed. The cadets, I see onboard and the ones, I hear from around, don't match with the quality of the company.

Suffocatingly boring work environment

Current Employee - IT Consultant in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

9/80 work schedule permits every three-day weekend every second week.

Cons

The work environment (IT) is unbelievably sterile. Employees barely acknowledge each other; the lack of personal contact in the offices is depressing. I have worked as a consultant and employee in many locations for other organizations, and this is the first time I endured such an oppressive atmosphere.
    There is little opportunity to exercise independent judgement and discretion - everything is process-driven and requires approval from multiple layers of management - communication by PowerPoint.
    While workplace safety is obviously a critical issue in an oil company, the company's obsession with it extends to every nook and cranny of it's operations - offices have safety instructions posted by the break-room toaster, employees will tell you to sit up straighter in your chair to be ergonomic, and the Wellnomics software installed on each computer force you to take to breaks, convenient or otherwise. Although the goals are laudable, there is a very heavy tone of "big brother" in the office.
    Their IT environment is far behind the curve: new laptops are now issued with Win 7, an upgrade from Vista enterprise (!), albeit with outdated IE. Their enterprise systems are mostly older versions. This was mostly humorous, except when one considers that it is hardly a resume-enhancing experience.
    I really found my time there very unrewarding, I'm glad that I moved on.

Your managers need to foster work relationships that emphasize the human aspects of the workplace.

Great interview

Current Employee - Environmental Specialist Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Environmental Specialist Intern in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very thoughtful and considerate.

Cons

Chevron is a large company but they do have programs that help facilitate coworker relationships.

Job satisfaction depends on the business unit you work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

9/80 flexible schedule, one of the few companies still with a pension, strong procedural guidelines for a multitude of process

Cons

Procedural guidelines for every single process. Very hierarchical, I couldn't just email my VP with an idea. Very function oriented, a Finance person couldn't go and do sales mid-career and then do business development and back to Finance, so in that sense you're pigeon holed. Ironically, the company leaders flaunt their "diverse" company experiences.

Let workers pursue other development tracts otherwise when all the baby boomers retire you'll be in for a world of hurt

Bad Managers, Good Pay

Former Employee - Communications in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Communications in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great.

Cons

Not a lot of room for job growth and development unless you are a white male who likes to play golf and part of the "old boys'" club. I worked in Public Affairs for 3 1/2 years under one of the most tyrannical bosses one could ever imagine. Yelling, degrading comments, belittlement and snubs for quality assignments were all daily occurrences. I was even physically pushed once when my supervisor was having a bad day. I went to OMBUDS (an internal mediation service) about her, and their response was, "I thought she was getting better." Funnily enough, this was not her first time harassing her direct reports. She was demoted once before for the same thing, and has just been demoted again for doing the same thing to my successor. Failure to fire these type of people (yes, there are more of them) from this company is a great risk to employees and stakeholders alike. My parents have each worked at Chevron more than 35 years and have had their share of "horrible bosses." Beware.

Make the workplace environment a better one for everyone and maybe you'll actually retain generation XYZ employees.

Perfect company to work and retire from

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Work environment, good people, good benefits

Cons

Some people don't think outside the box, follows the same old tradition in this new edge technology era.

Great corporate culture, wonderful colleagues, leadership to be proud of

Current Employee - IT Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Everyone is respectful to engage with and at all levels within the company, you are never threatened and your input is always taken into consideration. Annual staff ranking is a process that is made visible and is very encompassing, feedback is sort from other individuals you have engaged with and it is a fair process. The companies pays 75% of any degree or training you wish to pursue as long as it has some relevance to your job or role within the company. Most staff members have worked here for 30 plus years and the reason for that is clear, you can have 30 careers within this one company as it is diverse and global. An expat assignment with this company will spoil you and your family and is a wonderful growth opportunity. Very good benefits, healthcare and pension package. I am thankful daily for working for this company after kissing a few frogs along the way (SAP, Siemens etc.)

Cons

Many business units are packing up and moving from California to Texas, good news is the individual tax will decrease considerably. It is a very large organization and global so reaching consensus can be a lot of work. Understanding the complexity of the business can take years. Everyone wants to know and be involved so communications to all stakeholders is a skill one must master. It is a company of engineers and therefore thoroughness and details are important

Keep the sucession planning top of mind. Be less risk adverse and continue the incredible Chevron Way.

"Work to hire" a misnomer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stock options, stability, focus on safety and community responsibility. Fantastic career development for employees.

Cons

Contractor status is better for the bottom line; many groups are keeping employee positions unfilled to boost numbers.

Terrible Company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Tech Recruiter in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Tech Recruiter in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

- semi-good pay- salary
    -good ergonomic evaluation
    -good /clean campus

Cons

-Terrible management
    -Discrimination in all levels -mostly they discriminate against the country of origin (especially if you are from Middle East) and accent.
    -No diversity- they select individuals with short sided views .
    -No freedom of speech- They don’t want people to interact with each other or other groups.
    -No Creativity- They are an absolute example of none-creative environment and they want everyone to work as a slave and listen to their ideas. Basically you have to put your head down and work and never come out of your cubicle to interact with your coworker.
    - Favoritism in all level of organization-no one gets a job almost if they don’t know someone. I was a recruiter at Chevron and I know how unethical the company is. Managers called me many times telling me that they want so and so to work at their department. We would bring in candidates and waste their time knowing that they will never get the position there.
    -Only 1% of external applicants get jobs at Chevron since everything else goes to internal candidates.
    -There is a big gap between fulltime employees and contractors. If you are a contractor they will look at you as a slave.
    -Terrible unorganized recruiting/staffing and HR team. They are a very new department only 5 yr old with a lot of issues and that comes at the very top. The head of the department has no management skills and no education to prove her superiority in HR. Therefore, you will see unorganized, discriminatory, politically savvy department.
    -Senior Managements don’t have management background and they never took none-discrimination courses. It is like a "white boy" club.
    - Their background check process for applicants is dysfunctional and they lose information all the time. Candidates should wait as long as one month to get their background checks result.
    - Most people get to the top because they play politics well. It is not because of their personal achievement.
    - During my time at this company I saw a coworker going crazy from the pressure and they had to call cups and internal safety advisor to come and take her to the hospital. She was under a lot of pressure from the top management and her work that one day she just went crazy.
    - No one likes their job there and they only keep their job because they thing that is the best company in the world. Even though , there are many other companies with better environment to work and better benefits.
    - Be careful because recruiters will sell you their benefits and if you think about all the issues they will cause you at the work force then you will know that the benefit is not worth risking your mental health.

I strongly suggest highlevel managers at Chevron to take a good look at the Staffing/HR deparment in San Ramon office. People at the tope are very Prejudice, dysfunctional, uneducated, and discriminatory. They discriminated me against my country of origin and my accent even though I was doing a great job for seventy plus managers. Also they don’t follow the Safety that is Chevron’s culture. They even told me that I am not suppose to take my lunches. And indirectly they told me that I am suppose to take my lunches at my desk because I was a contractor. Everyone else does the same thing to not get fired. However, to cover themselves they dragged the team to do the stretch breaks.

Safe place to work

Former Employee - IT Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - IT Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Chevron as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Emphasis on retirement and savings, safety is very very important to the people at Chevron. Every meeting starts with a safety moment.

Cons

Horrible for the environment, not great on your morals. Makes you wonder where the world is headed. Definitely a money-sucking giant corporation.

N/A