Chicago Office Technology Group Reviews

28 reviews filtered by
3.2
Terry Dixon

1. Featured Review

Energetic environment, amazing perks and benefits! Exciting culture. Closest thing to a Silicon Valley tech company!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great base salary, uncapped commissions, corporate contests are unbelievable ($10k cash, BWM free for 2 years, trips, TVs, etc). Made smart changes in the training and support to keep sales reps happy for the long term. The company overall has shifted to being a full scale technology provider to stay relevant and competitive in a fast paced industry.

Cons

All the new technology can be a lot to digest, but anyone who is interested in technology can learn. Environment is a true work hard hard, play hard so mediocre workers usually realize sales isn't for them. No room for whiners!

Keep up the team building events and contests. It really makes for a fun culture.

2. System Engineer

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Secure and pleasant surrounding, awesome manager, constantly getting to work with great people that enables me to enjoy coming to work everyday. Never micro managed and I'm almost always given the space and materials I need to grown and thrive in my environment. They didn't give me a job they've become and great and rewarding career!

Cons

Sometimes they're a little to focused on Sales and Service and it feels like the Admin in the middle gets a little forgotten when it comes to incentives or training.

Sometimes the fire, ready, aim is hard to follow and changes/adjustments don't feel like they have focus or vision... Sometimes, not always. Better transparency with a company road map of 3 and 5 year goals would be nice. We are growing and selling account, great! What else are we doing, are we just focused year to year or is there a bigger plan down the road you would love to see the company achieve?

3. Great Place to Jump Start Your Sales Career, Bad Place to Stay

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent training for jumping into a professional b2b sales environment. The Xerox name is well known throughout other companies for turning out qualified sales professionals. Gives you a chance to "earn your stripes" in the sales world. Provides you with an opportunity to learn how to sell a process and practice a consultative approach to solution based selling.

Cons

Not a good place to stay in sales. The industry is dying and every deal ultimately comes down to a price war. MPS provides a service that still interests C-Level decision makers, but the copier side mainly comes down to luck with timing. The leadership is lackluster. Senior management will start new employees off with higher salaries based on "connections." Favoritism will dictate whether or not you get handed the layup accounts. Some of the directors are great people and leaders, but unfortunately the people running the company are not consistent.

Take care of your employees that are producing. Give raises based on tenure and performance....not for outside factors. Lead by example and give your talented reps a reason to stay here or you will eventually only be left with short term talent that will continue to leave once they find a better option.

5. great for first year out of college if you are ready to work hard and learn the business

I worked at Chicago Office Technology Group

Pros

consultative selling, huge reward trips for those who qualify, flexible w/schedules if you hit your numbers

Cons

revolving door of managers, change territories and sales titles too much, managers not able to keep up with their employees (sometimes competitive w/employees)

share together whats working on different teams and get rid of what isn't working on yours

6. Field Service Technician - Move along!

Former Employee - Field Service Technician
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician

I worked at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to think of any...accept maybe the comradery with other peons.

Cons

To date this was the worse job I have ever had. If you are planning on applying for this JOB(not career), know first that all the positive ratings here, regarding Field Tech jobs, are complete BS. They treat you like a slave and monitor your every move. Every one is on eggshells around management. They dispatch you to the opposite end of the earth late in the day so its not uncommon to have a 2+ hour commute home. The pay is horrible and compensation for fuel cost is a pathetic joke. The customers get shafted by a sales person for that glorious commission and you have to do their legwork to make them happy. That happens often. I could go on, but in short find another job and save yourself the aggravation. I won plenty of awards there, so to have Mgmt repute what i have just said is not genuine on their part.

Check Xerox's stock and go back to Toshiba, oh that's right... you cant :/

Land of the Lotus Eaters

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Strong industry with good opportunities- offices will always need technology! Xerox backed- top quality products, great location on Wabash and Wacker. Uncapped commission for the sales you make

Cons

Upper management is destroying their hard workers. Most specifically the "Learning and Development" Team is a single individual who does onboarding for the entire Chicagoland area- UNCHECKED! Reading slideshows to you and the calling you for 20 minutes once weekly or biweekly is their idea of a supportive environment. They are constantly recruiting outside talent to fill openings in the company instead of offering these to their own people- time and time again hard work does not go appreciated. There is an extremely low level of professionalism in the office- it is not uncommon to hear that all of upper management is drinking by 3pm on Friday. Depending on your reputation, you can get away with anything. Good accounts and positions are distributed almost exclusively by favoritism. I watched at least 3 high performing candidates get pushed out the door from the sheer frustration of the churn and burn mentality that is prevalent in this environment. I loved my job and it provided a good living, but management made is extremely difficult to do my work. There is NO racial diversity and is by and far one of the most judgemental places I ever worked.

You will continue to lose your top performers to recruiters who will continually recruit your reps. It became a nightmare to try to cope with constant demands and changes put upon me that had nothing to do with selling. I am being heavily recruited by a competitor and look forward to being MUCH happier doing what I love and being recognized and appreciated for it.

Decent sales position with exciting new technology solutions

Current Employee - Account Executive in Itasca, IL

Pros

Base salary, total compensation, uncapped commissions (some paid out at 20%), company provided BMW, culture, training, work/life balance. Newer technology solutions keep things exciting for those who have the aptitude to change with the times.

Cons

Previous Manager (no longer with COTG) was not supportive of his reps. Luckily he was let go and new management strategies were put into place by people who actually know what it takes to nurture a top performing sales force. Also, 1 out of every 10 reps on average exits the company within their first year of employment.

Stick with the new management strategies

9. Great Growth Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

COTG continues to grow every year, both in the fiscal market, and also in headcount. This allows for (and I have witnessed) incredible amounts of growth potential for departments, teams, and individuals. If you are a drive and motivated person - and care about contributing to the success of the company, there is limitless potential. Promotions are merit (not seniority) based, and internal candidates go through the same process as external ones - a pretty fair practice.
    I have also noticed the company is more involved in the community and rolling out new programs to the staff for personal benefit - like an employee discount program, lunch and learns, and volunteer days.

Cons

The company is sales driven. If you work in administration you have to be aware that everything is customer centric, and therefore the people who exhibit the best communication skills tend to move upwards, faster.

10. One of the best companies i have ever worked for

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL

Pros

Great Hours and lots of chances for advancment

Cons

Sometimes communication can be hard

Listen to your ground floor since they have the most face time with your clients

11. Great benefits and rewards. Work hard, see results.

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience is in sales. If you are willing to work hard, this company is willing to reward you. Excellent incentives and a positive environment for learning B2B sales.

Cons

This field in general has been referred to by many in this field as a 'hard sale'. However if you can sell copiers, etc., it is also said that you can sell anything.

Keep moving the direction you are. Since January 2014 there have been many steps in the right direction for building clear career paths and eliminating some of the past negative feedback shown on this website.

Chicago Office Technology Group Photos