Chicago Office Technology Group

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
3.1

Terry Dixon

Energetic environment, amazing perks and benefits! Exciting culture. Closest thing to a Silicon Valley tech company!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great base salary, uncapped commissions, corporate contests are unbelievable ($10k cash, BWM free for 2 years, trips, TVs, etc). Made smart changes in the training and support to keep sales reps happy for the long term. The company overall has shifted to being a full scale technology provider to stay relevant and competitive in a fast paced industry.

Cons

All the new technology can be a lot to digest, but anyone who is interested in technology can learn. Environment is a true work hard hard, play hard so mediocre workers usually realize sales isn't for them. No room for whiners!

Keep up the team building events and contests. It really makes for a fun culture.

Land of the Lotus Eaters

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Strong industry with good opportunities- offices will always need technology! Xerox backed- top quality products, great location on Wabash and Wacker. Uncapped commission for the sales you make

Cons

Upper management is destroying their hard workers. Most specifically the "Learning and Development" Team is a single individual who does onboarding for the entire Chicagoland area- UNCHECKED! Reading slideshows to you and the calling you for 20 minutes once weekly or biweekly is their idea of a supportive environment. They are constantly recruiting outside talent to fill openings in the company instead of offering these to their own people- time and time again hard work does not go appreciated. There is an extremely low level of professionalism in the office- it is not uncommon to hear that all of upper management is drinking by 3pm on Friday. Depending on your reputation, you can get away with anything. Good accounts and positions are distributed almost exclusively by favoritism. I watched at least 3 high performing candidates get pushed out the door from the sheer frustration of the churn and burn mentality that is prevalent in this environment. I loved my job and it provided a good living, but management made is extremely difficult to do my work. There is NO racial diversity and is by and far one of the most judgemental places I ever worked.

You will continue to lose your top performers to recruiters who will continually recruit your reps. It became a nightmare to try to cope with constant demands and changes put upon me that had nothing to do with selling. I am being heavily recruited by a competitor and look forward to being MUCH happier doing what I love and being recognized and appreciated for it.

Decent sales position with exciting new technology solutions

Current Employee - Account Executive in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Base salary, total compensation, uncapped commissions (some paid out at 20%), company provided BMW, culture, training, work/life balance. Newer technology solutions keep things exciting for those who have the aptitude to change with the times.

Cons

Previous Manager (no longer with COTG) was not supportive of his reps. Luckily he was let go and new management strategies were put into place by people who actually know what it takes to nurture a top performing sales force. Also, 1 out of every 10 reps on average exits the company within their first year of employment.

Stick with the new management strategies

Great Growth Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

COTG continues to grow every year, both in the fiscal market, and also in headcount. This allows for (and I have witnessed) incredible amounts of growth potential for departments, teams, and individuals. If you are a drive and motivated person - and care about contributing to the success of the company, there is limitless potential. Promotions are merit (not seniority) based, and internal candidates go through the same process as external ones - a pretty fair practice.
    I have also noticed the company is more involved in the community and rolling out new programs to the staff for personal benefit - like an employee discount program, lunch and learns, and volunteer days.

Cons

The company is sales driven. If you work in administration you have to be aware that everything is customer centric, and therefore the people who exhibit the best communication skills tend to move upwards, faster.

One of the best companies i have ever worked for

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL

Pros

Great Hours and lots of chances for advancment

Cons

Sometimes communication can be hard

Listen to your ground floor since they have the most face time with your clients

Great benefits and rewards. Work hard, see results.

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience is in sales. If you are willing to work hard, this company is willing to reward you. Excellent incentives and a positive environment for learning B2B sales.

Cons

This field in general has been referred to by many in this field as a 'hard sale'. However if you can sell copiers, etc., it is also said that you can sell anything.

Keep moving the direction you are. Since January 2014 there have been many steps in the right direction for building clear career paths and eliminating some of the past negative feedback shown on this website.

Be careful When Joining this Company
    especially if foreign decent

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401K and Health benefits and mileage reimbursement

Cons

There a many challenges to work here. The first two two and a half years of employment they make you feel like a king but out of no where management changes working policies change promises are broken and demotions occur. Received several awards but was stripped of titles for no reason. Management of all types at this company do not keep their promises. Clients write letters of recommendation to management but all of it gets over looked or "forgotten" yearly reviews have no substance in one instance my manager was complaining that his head was hurting and couldn't provide proof of the scores i was getting despite my proof of why my scores should be better. Over all this company will demoralize you and make you feel like nothing you do is sufficient. One last thing Id like to point out is its very apparent that discrimination is present against race I've worked for many corporate companies and am right now but the only management you will ever see at COTG is Caucasian in nature and many of them do not have adequate management skills to be in the positions they are in.

You might want to think outside of the box and actually motivate the employees you have that are enthusiastic and prove them self despite of their ethnicity, race, and your personal feelings.

Great for out-of-college technical experience, not for a lasting career.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician

I worked at Chicago Office Technology Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of great co-workers, hard work is sometimes rewarded, and work-life balance was great. The scope of the job introduces you to a lot of different companies and experience opportunities, outside of COTG. Training is varied depending on the instructor, but overall good.

Cons

Management is decent to awful (and too plentiful). Outside of 2-3 exceptions, you either have a supervisor/manager who is "cool" but doesn't know what they're doing (usually a former technician), or a tiger who expects far too much with the resources given and can never be pleased. Bonus program is also broken, where the bell-curve techs are rewarded more than those who fix machines right instead of duct taping them to save $$$ and better the management bonuses.

Let the technician do their job with a little trust. The customers I supported are not stupid, and will inform the company when they are dissatisfied. Never, ever....ever tell someone they are going to be moved up, have them train their replacement, and then shove them aside in a parallel, raise-less position when the promotion day comes.

Sales representative

I worked at Chicago Office Technology Group

Pros

Liked my team. Fun environment because we made it fun

Cons

HORRIBLE management. Was let go when in their own handbook says I did NOT do anything wrong. Rude and only in it for themselves

Pull your head out of your butt and don't fire EXCELLENT employees for doing the same thing on their lunch break that you do!! :)

Turnover is rampant in sales

Pros

Good place to earn a lot of money for little to no experience if you are willing to find all new business.

Cons

Comp plan has been adjusted and is not as lucrative to sales reps as it once was. It has leveled the playing field for bonuses and incentives and is no longer performance based. Promotions rarely happen internally and instead candidates are brought in constantly from the outside and paid a premium.

Step up the training so sales reps come out ready to sell and managers aren't having to rely on tenured reps to teach their new people.

Chicago Office Technology Group Photos