Chicago Police Department

3.8

Chicago Police Department Superintendent of Police Garry F. McCarthy
Garry F. McCarthy

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience with the Chicago Police Department was great!

Former Employee - District Administrative Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Administrative Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I learned a lot about law enforcement and crime.

Cons

Many people at higher management level did not always understand the logistics of what was going on at the district level.

My advice to management is simply to employ the resources and recommendations of the officers working day-to-day on the streets before implementing a policy or strategy.

20+ year veteran

Current Employee - Police Officer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits, good people to work with for the most part.

Cons

Poor condition of equipment; lack of patrol cars, all with over 100k miles; lack of in car computers; mismanagement of personnel; poor moral due to out of control political favoritism and corruption.

Do the right thing, take care of your employees by providing them with the right equipment to do their job and treating them with respect.

A career choice with never a moment of regret.

Former Employee - Detective  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Detective in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was a Detective and quickly understood that quality work product and integrity earned one both respect and autonomy. The people I worked with were drawn from a wide and diverse cultural and ethnic background and were amongst the finest and most honorable individuals I have been blessed to have known.

Cons

In retrospect I could think of very few "cons" so to speak. One has to be prepared to sacrifice some aspects of a personal life. As in any organization the occasional mediocre supervisor does exist and it is most important to maintain one's sense of perspective. Advancement in rank is all too often determined by a person's ability to "test well" and too little is done to identify leadership qualities in individuals.

Maintain a sense of integrity and be willing to work as hard as you would expect others to. Remember that loyalty must first come from the top down in order to be reciprocated. Morale is dependent on one's sense of fairness; never succumb to petty favoritism in relationships with personnel.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chicago Police Department

Current Employee - Police Captain  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Police Captain in Chicago, IL

Pros

A Department full of professionals.

Cons

There is nothing wrong. Stop your whining.

forge ahead you all make me proud to be a member.

Learned a lot about interacting with others.

Current Employee - Patrolman  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Patrolman in Chicago, IL

Pros

There were many opportunities for varied tasks.

Cons

Having some clout helps move you up the ladder.

Stop promoting based on who the person knows. Counter productive.

Entire career is determined by local democratic politics and politicians.

Former Employee - Captain of Police  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Captain of Police in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the best, most heroic, dedicated to helping their fellow man, people in the world work there and put their lives on the line every single day for decades.

Cons

Democratic politics and racial politics are overwhelmingly negative to the typical employee that tries to better him/herself.

Politics runs management. If you lose your political advantage, you will lose your job.

My experience has been interesting.

Current Employee - Clerical  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Clerical in Chicago, IL

Pros

The benefits are good in comparison to other organizations.

Cons

No room for advancement for civilians.

My advice to upper management is to use this electronic technological age we are living in to your advantage.

The CPD - a once proud department

Current Employee - Detective  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Detective in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Police Department

Pros

If you like having a real impact on people's lives this is the job for you. No two days are alike. The pay is good (unless you're getting shot at, spit upon, cursed, sued, or indicted). Great people to work with and lots of fun. Occasionally someone will say thank you.....that makes it all worthwhile.

Cons

....getting shot at, spit upon, sued, or indicted....you really can't understand it unless you've been there. The biggest con on this job is the total lack of support from the upper echelon within the department and the city officials

Hang your collective heads in shame. You now have the police department you asked for. To the good citizens of the city.....arm yourselves!

Good place to work

Current Employee - Detective  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Detective in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Police Department

Pros

Having job stability is an important part of my career. In this time of economic crisis, it is reasurring that I will not be laid off.The benefits are pretty good. I can retire with a full pension at 29years with 75% of my salary. I don't think you will find that in private industry.

Cons

The department is very political. A significant amount a promotions are Merit (political).

Find the real talent within the department and use it. I see a lot of highly qualified people overlooked for assignments. Senior management needs to follow management styles used in major private corporations such as G.E and Motorola. Most high ranking officers have no idea how to motivate the backbone of the police department which is patrol. Maybe a Six Sigma or other quality control certification would help.

A challenging career with many benefits and great experiences

Current Employee - Police Officer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Police Department

Pros

The salary offered by the police department is very competitive. It is difficult to find a job matching our salary without requiring at least a masters degree. Currently, only 2 years of college or 4 years of active duty military are required. The department also has tuition reimbursement for ALL college classes taken while employed by the city, even those not remotely related to law enforcement. For example, a final grade of an A is 100% reimbursement, B 80%, C 70%. The schedule can be tough on those that are used to working a 9-5 schedule, but the hours are not bad

Cons

As in any industry, sometimes those that get promoted are not the best candidates for the position. This is because promotions are given through testing and merit. Both have their drawbacks. Those who may score high on a test may be very book smart but possess no "street smarts," which is needed to work on the streets. Those that are promoted by merit are sometimes people who don't deserve a promotion, but have many connections to higher ups and clout that. Also, we do work crazy hours, weekends and holidays. New Year eve will almost always be spent at work

Listen more to the needs of those officers on the street. Many times there are ideas an strategies thought up in an office by a person who has not patrolled the street in many years.

Worked for Chicago Police Department? Contribute to the Community!